PDA

View Full Version : Doubling the RMS on Components?

Sierra08!
01-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Currently I have 75 RMS to my comps, they can handle 150 RMS, I have a chance to upgrade to a 150 RMS for my CDT Comps, will there be much of a different in noticeable output/sound by doubling the RMS power to these or should I just stay with my current setup?

modskwod
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
It will probably get a little louder, but it won't be very noticeable. Afaik anyways.

SicAudio
01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
it should make them alot cleaner and crisper sounding as well as 3 db louder quite a bit of a difference in theory

T3mpest
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
it should make them alot cleaner and crisper sounding as well as 3 db louder quite a bit of a difference in theory

It may or may not make a difference. As sic pointed out youc an gain up to 3db's, but in all reality it will probably be closer to 1-2 as power compression will take some away. If you find yourself clipping your amp a bit, or find yourself listening pretty loud on occasion, you should notice a cleaner sound at higher volumes from the upgrade as the main thing, mostly from the mids. A slightly higher max SPL is a plus.

birdmanpresents
01-07-2010, 12:12 AM
It mostly comes down to your ears. Some people can tell the difference better then others but higher power just means it will be cleaner sound at higher levels.