PDA

View Full Version : Replacement front and rear subaru wrx suggestions

RedWRXwagoN
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey guys, im pretty new here, and looking for some advice on new speakers. I have a 2004 Subaru WRX, which takes 4" speakers in the front, and 5 1/4" in the rear. I'm getting them professionally installed, because i don't feel like dealing with it and want their installation guarantee. I'm looking to spend at the most, $200 after shipping altogether on the speakers. Can somebody steer me in the right direction?

And, (might be a dumb quesiton, but) is it recommended to get the same product line in the front and back?

And, the installer i talked to said he didn't want to sell me anything stronger than an Alpine type R, without and amp. Is this true?

Also, i'm looking to buy the speakers online and i can bring them into his store just for the install. The guy actually thought id pay $280 after install for front and back Alpine type S's. What a ripoff. Thanks for helping!:cool:

ALSO, forgot to mention, i have a Pioneer DEH-P5900ib head unit right now with the ipod hookup, if that means anything. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP590/Pioneer-DEH-P5900iB.html?tp=5684&tab=features_and_specs is the specs page of it.

KyleBechtold
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
without an amp changing speakers won't be near as worth it.. if the stock speakers are any good then my suggestion to you is..

keep the stock rear speakers and change the fronts to nice speakers.. then when you get a little more money buy and amp to run the front speakers and keep the rear on the h.u power.

RedWRXwagoN
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea, ive heard something similar to that before. Are speaker amps cheap? And how many hours of labor do you think it would be to be installed?

boogeyman
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
1 hour tops per pair of speakers..With 1 installer...... about 2 hours for an amp install with 1 installer

undeadxsunshine
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a good idea, ive heard something similar to that before. Are speaker amps cheap? And how many hours of labor do you think it would be to be installed?

For only wanting to spend 200 on both pairs, i would stick with stock. Unless you're willing to buy something used from here.

Speaker amps range greatly, depending on the quality and power.

pilyin
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Not sure if you messed up or if you don't know, but your speakers are a 5.25" up front, 4" in back. You have that backwards in your original post. Also, I have an 03. Your front speakers don't have much room behind them. You'll either need to have spacers made or need to get shallow speakers up there unless there's a significant difference in the 03 and 04 models mounting depths, which doesn't seem likely from the similarities in looks. After getting your speakers installed, make sure you roll down the window and double check it goes all the way down before you leave the shop.

SicAudio
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
a nice set of components up front and a small 2 channel would be best
i can do that for 200 with an amp kit ;)
pm me

RedWRXwagoN
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
For only wanting to spend 200 on both pairs, i would stick with stock. Unless you're willing to buy something used from here.

Speaker amps range greatly, depending on the quality and power.

Are you serious? From browsing several sites, i found some pretty good prices. Heres some highly reviewed Boston Acoustics for $110.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19857_Boston+Acoustics+SC55.html

RedWRXwagoN
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
So, are these Boston acoustics worth $110? And, what kind of amp should i get to power them. I decided im going to get nice front speakers and a cheap amp, and get average rears powered from the head unit amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...tics+SC55.html