PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

SilverBullet6.0
01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?

KyleBechtold
01-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I bet you they sound like ***.. most people want to believe that what they listened to back then is better than anything new and without the chance of side by side comparison they keep believing it

CrownVicon24's
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
My father tells me the same stories about these mindblowers. I would love to be able to hear a set of these.

SilverBullet6.0
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I know they prolly sound like crap by todays standards. Im more interested in the nostalgia of them. In his day, a 69 camaro or late 70's firebird with cragar ss wheels and mind blower speakers were the coolest cars. Id love to set up a car the way he wouldve back then, and get a sense of "experiencing" that era.

PioneerSPL1990
01-06-2010, 12:13 AM
these?

http://quikdropcp.auctionsound.com/?l=1&product=15350&product_name=Vintage+Pyramid+Mind+Blower+PMB10+150 W+Speaker+Pair

hatemonger
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
big wattage in it's day. they probably sound fine with 8 track tapes playing vivaldi.

PioneerSPL1990
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
i want a picture i could find nothing.

Ignatowski
01-06-2010, 07:42 AM
since im an old fart ill chime in......
Back in the day we had no subs , 6x9s were the pretty popular
speaker upgrade as most cars had that size rear deck speaker opening...Some of the popular ones were Jensen,Pyle,Sony and even the
Midblowers....Mindblowers were junk - just like everything Pyramid makes total garbage..Pyramid of the 80s is very much like it is today
overseas low end audio

Pyle 6x9s were the best 6x9 IMO,very heavy 70oz mag and made in the USA-YES USA !
I had mine powered by a Sherwood 90x2 Amp and a Pioneer Cassette deck.....BALLIN !
Used to buy all this stuff on Canal St in NYC,guys used to buy the stuff and do installs right on the street
Ahhh the good ole days - the Ebay seller with the Mindblowers has a few old goodies...LOL

snoopdan
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Tis true, all we had were 6x9's that were overpowered as possible. My favorite that I owned was the Alpine 6x9 subwoofers, which were 150 watts each which was mentioned previously was big power back then. I too had a Sherwood amp (it was square, huge fins for heat dissapation.) I don't remember what size it was, perhaps 100x2. Later on I moved up to an MEI amp, which was really nice but later in its life started going into protect alot.

loud-n-low
01-06-2010, 08:08 AM
iirc werent jensen 6x9's popular also?

pickup1
01-06-2010, 08:10 AM

in early trans-ams and firebirds....they rocked!!

snoopdan
01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I think my first real "subs" were Gem Sounds - direct kicker c12 knockoffs made at the same plant.

Ignatowski
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I think my first real "subs" were Gem Sounds - direct kicker c12 knockoffs made at the same plant.

Gem Sounds was Gemini if I am not mistaken....They also made turn table mixers
as well as large format speaker systems - They are still in biz

undeadxsunshine
01-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Gem Sounds was Gemini if I am not mistaken....They also made turn table mixers
as well as large format speaker systems - They are still in biz

yeah i'm pretty sure my friend's dj speakers are gemini, nice stuff

tommasini
10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I had 2 pair in an OPEL Manta and it ROCKED! My dad and I mounted a set in the front doors and a set in the back deck. Each set had a small switch to turn the amp on that we mounted under the dash by the system. My system was a Pioneer Supertuner with a cassette deck. It was very nice for the day.

power-fanatic07
10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
My first subs were the Prowlers with the claw mark on the dustcap

Rich B
10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Jensen Triax were the top of the line, but I always liked the Cerwin Vega coax better.

oldschoolboomer
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Petras Prowlers

Wingman0121
10-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Believe it or not Pyramid, Pioneer, Jensen and Pyle were the best brands back in the day.

VWBobby
10-30-2010, 02:56 AM
IMO, Pioneer, Jensen, Blaupunkt and even Sony were decent up until the early 90's. It seems like after that, quality went down hill rapidly after that.
I had some blue plastic Jensen 6x9 2-way speakers that were very Loud and clear/full sounding from the mid 90's and that was the last set I really liked.
Boxes make a huge difference in sound quality/loudness.

airboss37
02-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Mind Blowers were the real deal !!! All you guys speculating that they were "junk" have obviously never heard these speakers. These pair of 6x9's put out loud crisp sound that sounded better than a lot of peoples home systems. I just bought a Corvette and went to the audio store to get the best system I could find. I told the sales guy about those old speakers and he cranked his best system up, then turned it down and looked at me and said "how about that"? I responded with, "they aren't even close", and they weren't. My best friend in highschool had them in his car and when he turned the corner about 500 yards away from my house I could tell what song was playing while still in my house with the doors/windows shut...yes, really. Why do you think so many people are looking for these things? Because nothing measures up, after all this time... pretty amazing. If I could find a pair of these Mind Blower speakers I would pay whatever it cost to get them! If you find some still around, they probably belong to an old stoner that is now deaf. I can't imagine two sets of these in an Opel... how did you keep the windshield and windows in the car?

gmctrucks
03-04-2011, 05:56 AM
I worked for Tenna Corporation in south Texas we would get Mind Blowers from Puerto Rico by the crates I had some 6x9 in my 1970 GTO and two sets in my 1957 F100 in a box I built for them we would go to South Padre Island and people would park by use since I could take out take out the box that was between my Grand Prix buckets seats I had in the truck and I also had a box mounted to the roof with some in there as well them were the good old days listening to the Rolling Stones I even got a set for my buddys 1970.5 Super Sport they sounded much better in his car I guess it was because of the small trunk and curved back window. They sounded awesome way back then I wish I could back to those days. NO BILLS...................and girls left and right when I was.

Bettr n' Revrse
03-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I know they prolly sound like crap by todays standards. Im more interested in the nostalgia of them. In his day, a 69 camaro or late 70's firebird with cragar ss wheels and mind blower speakers were the coolest cars. Id love to set up a car the way he wouldve back then, and get a sense of "experiencing" that era.

WTF, in his day? I think not cuz a 69 Camaro is still one of the hottest cars ever to me! hahaha

Ignatowski
03-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Believe it or not Pyramid, Pioneer, Jensen and Pyle were the best brands back in the day.

THIS THREAD IS OLD..........
but for the record Pyramid was NEVER anything different than what they are today - JUNK
Pyle on the other hand used to be a quality speaker,jensen too - Pioneer is about the same now as
20+ years ago,solid

marylynne54
03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?

Hi,
I had a set in a Formula .400 firebird. The were ordered by a speed shop and they were send from Canada. They were the best. Take Rod Stewart songs. You could hear every harp, flute and violin.
You could use it as normal music or flip a switch under the dash and WOW concert music. I too wish I could get a set for my 66 mustang.

ramos
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Tis true, all we had were 6x9's that were overpowered as possible. My favorite that I owned was the Alpine 6x9 subwoofers, which were 150 watts each which was mentioned previously was big power back then. I too had a Sherwood amp (it was square, huge fins for heat dissapation.) I don't remember what size it was, perhaps 100x2. Later on I moved up to an MEI amp, which was really nice but later in its life started going into protect alot.

Were the alpines the accordian cone looking things? Those were bad ***:)

ramos
03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
THIS THREAD IS OLD..........
but for the record Pyramid was NEVER anything different than what they are today - JUNK
Pyle on the other hand used to be a quality speaker,jensen too - Pioneer is about the same now as
20+ years ago,solid

You **** skippy, pyramid was and always will be flea market crap :)

Jamie Sound
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm a 25 year pro audio engineer who knows audio like nobody's business. Back in the day, I used to have many of the Mind Blower speakers. They were made by a Canadian company called Tenna. For their price, they sounded excellent. They had built-in amps with plenty of headroom (enough to drive added passive speakers), they had great freq. range & definition, plus their high end was smooth (not brash). Were they audiofile quality? No, but for the price, they absolutely awesome.

BFI6603
08-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I had these speakers too back in 1975-1980. They were great in a 1975 Trans Am I had. Unfortunately that car was totalled with the speakers . Like a few other guys in this thread I am trying to find a working pair of these speakers. Can anyone...anyone...point me in the right direction. Thanks=Pete

subzero
08-03-2011, 08:40 AM
in for pics of mystical speakers....

BFI6603
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
For me, this is starting to be the Holy Grail of vintage speakers. Once again any help or even pics would be great Thx-Pete

Germ305
08-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Holy crap this thread is old...but only thing i found regarding these speakers is this...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4983504317_a142def7ae_o.png

I will talk to a buddy of mine who still had an OLD system in his van (Crankensteins and such). Maybe he might have a picture of these speakers.

BFI6603
08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks I saw that ad...pretty cool for its day.....you are right this thread is pretty old...like the speakers ....and me! I have found numerous requests looking for these speakers or a pic but no one has come through. Probably searching for a needle in a haystack but I will keep trying....Hopefully someone will chime in. Thx-Pete

got-one-eight
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Mind Blowers were the real deal !!! All you guys speculating that they were "junk" have obviously never heard these speakers. These pair of 6x9's put out loud crisp sound that sounded better than a lot of peoples home systems. I just bought a Corvette and went to the audio store to get the best system I could find. I told the sales guy about those old speakers and he cranked his best system up, then turned it down and looked at me and said "how about that"? I responded with, "they aren't even close", and they weren't. My best friend in highschool had them in his car and when he turned the corner about 500 yards away from my house I could tell what song was playing while still in my house with the doors/windows shut...yes, really. Why do you think so many people are looking for these things? Because nothing measures up, after all this time... pretty amazing. If I could find a pair of these Mind Blower speakers I would pay whatever it cost to get them! If you find some still around, they probably belong to an old stoner that is now deaf. I can't imagine two sets of these in an Opel... how did you keep the windshield and windows in the car?

WTF... really dude? I am all into the old stuff but comparing those to todays speakers is tarded. I am sure they were great back then but blowing out a windshield... come on. You joined to post this post only?

BFI6603
08-18-2011, 11:11 AM
TTT...... You had to own these speakers to appreciate them.....a blanket "they were terrible" because they are just plain old, without ever listening to them is lame. I have had and heard many systems and have yet heard none that wowed me as they did ....just my 2 cents-Pete

hispls
08-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Some of the older Pyramid speakers were made by Eminence IIRC (or one of those buildhouses that makes respectable guitar cab drivers)

Still though 99.9% of Pyramid was junk even by the standards back then.

BFI6603
08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
You may be right but Mindblowers were made by Tenna Corp....not Pyramid.

got-one-eight
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
TTT...... You had to own these speakers to appreciate them.....a blanket "they were terrible" because they are just plain old, without ever listening to them is lame. I have had and heard many systems and have yet heard none that wowed me as they did ....just my 2 cents-Pete

Then you need to get out more....

BFI6603
08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
To each his own..............................:rolleyes:

creeljd58
09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
For those of you who never heard Mindblower car speakers, you'll never understand their appeal to the rest of us. I realize this is a car stereo forum but I have been an audiophile for many years and I currently have 10 sets of good to great quality home speakers. Even in home audio the older equipment is far superior to anything being marketed today (although there are some great expensive modern home and car speakers out there). My main home system is a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp driving a pair of Technics SB-7000A Linear Phase speakers. My Kenwood 60 watt per channel amp will absolutely destroy most modern amps of 100 watts per channel or more. I can testify to this since I have a very nice Denon 100 watt surround receiver but it simply cannot hang with the 1978 Kenwood integrated amp; 60 watts vs 100 watts and although the Denon sounds respectable it's not even close to the Kenwood amp. In the same way, vintage Mind Blower car speakers have a sonic advantage over most low/mid end modern car speakers. They simply had an unusual dynamic such that the bass was very crisp and tight while the mids/highs were very clean. If you had a pair of these mounted in the rear deck of your car back in the seventies and had a decent head unit like say a Pioneer Supertuner 1, then you were in for a sonic treat that you just can't find now a days. I had mine in the rear deck of a Chevelle and when I cranked the power to the Eagles Hotel California "Victom of Love" you could literally feel the rhythm from Henley's drums "hitting" you in the back of your head! And there was very little distortion (unless you had a crappy head unit), it was an extremely clean and pleasing sound. BTW: I don't consider Tenna Mind Blowers audiophile level car gear, but they did capture a very pleasing sonic signature that was simply not found anywhere else! Man how I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers!

BFI6603
09-14-2011, 07:24 AM
I agree...Very well put...you have caught the essence of what I was tryiing to say. Certainly, Mind Blower speakers are not audiophile quality.....but they did have a unique and powerful sound when installed in the back dash of a car that many of todays high end gear just lacks. " I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers" too!

RAM_Designs
09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Make a thread about vintage speakers, and it's like a geriatric convention in here.

Falcons
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
old people ITT :fyi:

BnGRacing
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
BTW: I don't consider Tenna Mind Blowers audiophile level car gear, but they did capture a very pleasing sonic signature that was simply not found anywhere else! Man how I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers!

I'd think the old ADS 300i plate systems changed the game when it came to audiophile grade speakers made for car use. Not sure if you remember those but they're the 6x9" plates that had a 6" mid and 1" home audio soft-dome tweeter with dope applied on the outside. People called them 'sticky dome' or 'fly paper' tweeters.

Even by today's standards, those are still some awesome speakers. Installation would be a little interesting though...

MisterDeadeye
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't suggest trying to Google "Tenna Mindblower". Speakers aren't the majority of the results...

The_Grimy_One
09-14-2011, 08:12 PM
This thread is Grrrrrreat!

wenn_du_weinst
09-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I understand nostalgia, but why try and track something down this hard to find, just to be worse off then an easy to find counterpart?

The_Grimy_One
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I understand nostalgia, but why try and track something down this hard to find, just to be worse off then an easy to find counterpart?

Are you one to settle for just any ******? If so, then I can see why you feel this way...

pieper88
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Why do like half the people in this thread only have 1-5 posts? These people just patrolling the interwebz looking for a conversation about these speakers?

MisterDeadeye
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Why do like half the people in this thread only have 1-5 posts? These people just patrolling the interwebz looking for a conversation about these speakers?

Probably. This topic was one of the first Google results for "Tenna mindblower" "Tenna mind blower speaker" "pyramid mind blower", and "pyramid mindblower speaker"

BnGRacing
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM

Speakers today are much different than the used to be. It's as if they have a built-in loud button. I think it was MBQ that was the 1st to start really pushing high Q mids back when they took the market by storm. Today's equivalent would be Focal as they have some boom to their mids and crisp, but not harsh, tweeters.

Some of the older speakers sound pleasing to the ear despite being inferior on paper. While I don't know much about mind blowers, the ADS speakers of yore were very neutral and almost holographic in how they performed. They carried that trait until their ultimate demise. Most other speakers have a very up-front or a certain "in your face-ness" about them that most do prefer in a car environment. But the thing is, if you don't like high Q mids or upfront sounding speakers; you have a choice between finding vintage car audio speakers -or- spending who the hell knows how much trying to find a similar sound.

It's much like how the ear prefers the sound of vacuum tube amps & vinyl records over solid state devices and iPods.

hometech99
11-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Searched for these speakers on a fleeting memory of my first system in about 1978:

1969 Chevy Impala 2 door - maroon with black top.
Sanyo biamp under dash 8-track
Front doors Jensen coaxials.
Rear deck Tenna Coaxial Mindblowers

8 track tapes: Boston, The Cars, Tom Petty **** the Torpedoes, Kansas, Van Halen II.

I worked at McD's. We would go out to my car on breaks to crank it up. The trunk would shake like nothing I had ever seen before and guys commented that even blasting there was not distortion- was hooked on car audio ever since- great memories - thanks for this thread

hometech99
11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Speakers today are much different than the used to be. It's as if they have a built-in loud button. I think it was MBQ that was the 1st to start really pushing high Q mids back when they took the market by storm. Today's equivalent would be Focal as they have some boom to their mids and crisp, but not harsh, tweeters.

Some of the older speakers sound pleasing to the ear despite being inferior on paper. While I don't know much about mind blowers, the ADS speakers of yore were very neutral and almost holographic in how they performed. They carried that trait until their ultimate demise. Most other speakers have a very up-front or a certain "in your face-ness" about them that most do prefer in a car environment. But the thing is, if you don't like high Q mids or upfront sounding speakers; you have a choice between finding vintage car audio speakers -or- spending who the hell knows how much trying to find a similar sound.

It's much like how the ear prefers the sound of vacuum tube amps & vinyl records over solid state devices and iPods.

Exactly- i and my friends thought the Tennas were incredible- and I still own about 5 sets of a/d/s/ 320i sitting in various boxes I've collected over the years. Someday I'll get them into a car.

chillin
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Zoom in on page 11. Best pic your gonna get at the moment. And I agree with previous comments, that although these sounded good to you back in the 70's, it is doubtful they sound as good as speakers of a similar price point today. Keeping in mind if they were 50 dollars then inflation would make them a fairly expensive speaker these days. If they were soooo amazing, they would be reissued or would still be being made.

The Rock Hill Herald - Google News Archive Search (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1821&dat=19780525&id=8SQtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=raQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4244,2338528)

hometech99
11-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Zoom in on page 11. Best pic your gonna get at the moment. And I agree with previous comments, that although these sounded good to you back in the 70's, it is doubtful they sound as good as speakers of a similar price point today. Keeping in mind if they were 50 dollars then inflation would make them a fairly expensive speaker these days. If they were soooo amazing, they would be reissued or would still be being made.

The Rock Hill Herald - Google News Archive Search (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1821&dat=19780525&id=8SQtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=raQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4244,2338528)

There's no sense in debating this as its not worth it- the speakers are old & gone- plus, if you didnt hear them, someone else's description won't sway someone else. Also, a longstanding principle is that when you buy a speaker, you are agreeing with the manufacturer that that's what sound should sound like- so you can't call someone else's enjoyment of sound , "wrong".

Also, manufacturers are sales driven. Many products that were better than current models (cameras, cars, whatever) are gone, as "new" sells more.

brodeisel
11-09-2011, 08:47 AM
I think we found all the old people.

hometech99
11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Hehe- true-old, but not stubborn- if I'm not mistaken, that's a Brax Platinum in Chillin's avatar- I did an Alpine F1 system with 2 of those a few years ago- felt so guilty about all the cost, i sold the entire setup (F1, video monitor, amps) , pre-install on eBay to an engineer in Texas ��

-01limited-
11-09-2011, 09:45 AM
They may be old but found a member from 03 and just now starting to post. whoa! ^^^

ugotjeff
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
I started installing in 1976, MINDBLOWERS 6x9s was one of the first amplified systems that was worth a crap. I am pretty sure Pyramid bought them out at the end of their run . I will go as far as saying the car stereo aftermarket world owes MINDBLOWERS alot for getting the amplifier ball rolling. Now as far as sound Quallity they don't come close to todays standards ! But todays standards don't come close to the sound quallity of systems around 1988 - 1993 ! Retired in 2008 from car stereo , amplifiers now don't put much emphasis on sound qaullity as much as they do sound volume. mainly because of MP3s. But I will say speakers and subs have improved and keep improving. I have Soundstream CLASS A AMPS from the late 80s, would replace if I heard something sound better. JL comes close. Everbodies UNTRAINED ear is different,so what sounds good to some, doesn't to others, for instance I couldn't listen to MP3s until 320kbps bit rate was available and I still hear a difference.

itsblown
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
would be interesting if someone found a real life pair of these sitting around. Im sure there has to be atleast a few pairs especially if everyone loved them this much

big_ol_meat
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
lol @ people looking for speakers made before I was even born.

skylineTT
03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
People joined the forum specifically to post in this thread, then never posted again. lolz

jdawg
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Pyramid actually had some decent budget sounds I remember in the 90s, some of it was poop, depends on what line you got. I had some pyramids super blues and some legacy 1295s with the pink surround (I remember the model cause it was 12" 95oz magnet), they blew away the pioneer impp and pyle 'driver' series (chrome basket with like purple surround or some ****) for alot less

MANTI5
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I wish modern subs were a little more stylish, color cones or surrounds other than black would be nice.

icunjl
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes. They were out in the early 70's. You have to remember, this was the day when "CRAIG" ruled the roost with the "Powerplay" high power 8 track decks. Speakers for cars sounded like crap due to general lack of power. High power amps were not the norm. It was generally the power from the reciever that pushed those speakers. Generally 20-50 watts was all they could muster! Then came the "Power Plus" Mind Blowers. A 6x9 powered speaker that actually kicked *** pretty well. They both shared a "Bass Boost" feature that was controlled by a shared wired remote. These things were the best sounding of any speaker setup of the day! They worked! They had emense clarity and would make Dark Side Of The Moon from Pink Floyd litterally blow your mind. One issue was the heat from the amps in the speakers would get pretty hot! The build quality was excellent. Soon came copies from Kraco that were pure useless junk. I do believe that the Mind Blowers claimed to push 200 watts! If mated to a decent head unit, the setup was superb for the time...I can hear the Isleys "The Heat Is On" rumblin in my '68 Mustang California Special right now! They were the best! Dan

icunjl
03-20-2012, 11:20 PM
AMEN! the young guys on here have no clue to how clean the Mind Blowers were! I too, would buy them TODAY! I am suprised amplified speakers did not continue. Honest to gawd...these speakers were no joke. Pure audiophile heaven. Dan ( Class of 1973)

Bob Uecker
06-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Hiyas all! I'm just another retired veteran installer who joined this forum just so I could add my 2 cents to this thread. Here's the deal: there were two separate Pyramid companies. Run by 2 brothers,Ziggy and Nachtman (sp?) who didn't get along with each other. Nachtman was Pyramid-Tenna-Phase3 and Ziggy was the more familiar Pyramid. Ziggy's office mgr was Jake Glass,who is now Cadence. Now,I'm going to take a nap...

Ignatowski
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
this thread is 2 years old ********

Bob Uecker
06-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Ignoramus,while it is true that this thread was started over two years ago,it is still active.
Get a life.

Skyone2
09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow ! This brings back fond memories.. My 68 Roadrunner with my mindblower speakers. I think i bought them at k - mart for 30 bucks. I loved those speakers. Catchin a buzz , flippin the switch and bam. Boston poundin the back of your head ! They were the best ! I wish i had a pair for the saddle bags on my bike. I've been looking for a pair. Of coarse my bike is loud. Like everything i've ever owned . Old school Doug here !

shackles
09-28-2012, 01:37 PM
I had a friend who had those in his car and other than being loud they sounded like a cheap pair of speakers being overdriven when compared to today's set ups with separate components, high power subs and amps with lots of dynamic headroom.

I had some of the "loud" types of car audio equipment in the day including Craig Powerplay with the booster amps, etc.

And while this equipment sounded good in the day and played "loud", it's a far cry from the high quality sound possible today. And those surface mount speaker setups sounded especially bad.

If you want strictly a vintage look and sound then you can go with that stuff, if you can find it, but for great sound use modern equipment. JMHO.

BrownVanMan
09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Pyramid actually had some decent budget sounds I remember in the 90s, some of it was poop, depends on what line you got. I had some pyramids super blues and some legacy 1295s with the pink surround (I remember the model cause it was 12" 95oz magnet), they blew away the pioneer impp and pyle 'driver' series (chrome basket with like purple surround or some ****) for alot less

i had a 10 inch super blue NIB and it sounds nice now. not bad but needs a bigger than usual to get some noise out of it

Stoneman
06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I had Mind-Blower Speakers. They were made by Tenna. The Bass was as thunderous as anything I've heard today only with mid-range and highs that were off the charts. If you turned up the volume, they just kept getting louder without distortion. You could scream at the driver from the passenger seat and he couldn't hear you.
We went camping in WI. Some campers brought a generator and their stereo system. We came driving in and everyone came running over to our car to see what the hell kind of system we had because it drowned out their music.

I bought them from a department store called Zayre. I wish I could have bought a skid load of them. I think they were $79.00-$125.00 range. Most awesome car speakers I've ever heard for the money. I heard a $5000.00 Demo-system built for Delco that sounded as good. But it was $5000.00!!!

motorhead
08-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Was thinking about Mindblower speakers for some reason, did a web search and found this thread. I agree with the others who attested to the sound quality of these speakers.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned was the fact that there were two generations of Mindblowers. The first had duocone speakers, and the Mindblower II's had coax speakers. They probably upped the wattage on the amps too... I don't remember. I had a pair of the original Mindblowers, wore them out, and then upgraded to the Mindblower II's.

It's a shame that Mindblowers (or something like them) are no longer available. Tenna probably closed it's doors before a whole generation of teenagers turned young-adults could sue them for hearing loss!

BTW, I have searched high and low for a photo; this is the only thing I could find.

https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1235104_4986817041710_1638031753_n.jpg

motorhead
08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
PS-We all knew that those speakers sounded great, but we didn't know why. It turns out Tenna had a patent for a push-pull amplifier driving a speaker with a split voice coil, which allowed for higher output with less distortion for a given wattage. See US Patent 4130725 (forum won't allow me to provide a link)

hispls
08-24-2013, 06:15 PM
PS-We all knew that those speakers sounded great, but we didn't know why. It turns out Tenna had a patent for a push-pull amplifier driving a speaker with a split voice coil, which allowed for higher output with less distortion for a given wattage. See US Patent 4130725 (forum won't allow me to provide a link)

Did they make a true coaxial or just a "whizzer" cone?

Humans have very poor memory for intensity and quality of sound.

Yeah I know this thread is 3 years old, but it was fun the last couple times it was bumped.

motorhead
08-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Did they make a true coaxial or just a "whizzer" cone?

Humans have very poor memory for intensity and quality of sound.

Yeah I know this thread is 3 years old, but it was fun the last couple times it was bumped.

The original Mindblowers were 'duocone', and the Mindblower II's were true coaxial's.

If you study that patent, you'll see that they did some innovative things that should have resulted in a good clear sound at an affordable price.

Since none of these speakers exist in the wild anymore to prove me wrong, I'm going to claim that they were the best dang sounding speakers ever made. :-)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

LWoods
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Silverbullet your dad was right I had bought a set of mind blower speakers in 1977 put them in a 1969 mustang they was un real there is no speakers today that will touch them . I don't no where to get any but would love to have a set again to put in a 1981 corvette hope you find some

SplAffair
01-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Thread is dead. It started in 2010

Boomsday
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Nothing wrong with bumping an old thread if you have useful information

SplAffair
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
No useful info was given.

supereikenator
01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
I like this thread.

Milk Mayne
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Back in my day we had to pull start our car's engines and that was just AWESOME!! Seriously, you guys have no idea, there's nothing like it!

Chan1980
03-15-2014, 10:00 AM
I know this is an old post but I have to chime in here. In 1978 a friend of mine had a pair of Mindblowers in an old Dodge Dart. The first time I heard them I couldn't believe I was listening to a car stereo. I'll never forget he was playing "you shook me" from Zep I , the sound was explosive to say the least. It wasn't long until I had a pair , 59.00 for the originals. I liked the originals with separate tweeters up front. I know Pioneer and Jensen were the big names back then but they didn't compare. When you hit the power plus switch , hold on. Mindblowers by Tenna anyday.

RandomThoughts
04-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Anyone calling the old Tenna Mindblower speakers "junk" simply don't know what they are talking about. They either (1) Have never actually heard them (2) Had a crappy stereo system pushing them, or (3) Didn't wire them right.

I bought mine at K-Mart for $59.95 per set in 1978, hoping to enhance the Delco factory system in my 76 Grand Prix. I worked hard for my money and was trying to save a few bucks. The sheer power and clarity absolutely blew me away. Total strangers would follow me for miles just to ask what kind of sound system I had. Little rich kids would pull up beside me with their sports cars and expensive amps. I'd just flip the "boost" switch and watch their mouths drop open. Windows up or windows down, it didn't seem to make much difference. Whether it was by design or by accident, somebody got everything exactly right when they made them.

From a "charts and graphs" standpoint, I'm sure there are setups today with better technical clarity and more measurable volume. But Mindblowers had distinctive sound characteristics throughout the audio spectrum that I have never seen equaled. They just worked. The bass didn't make your ears flutter like some of the popular systems today. Rather, you felt it deep in your chest. Hard drum licks had an impact like somebody shooting a pistol in the car. And those squally lead guitar licks would make your hand inch toward the volume knob. It wasn't like being "at" a concert; it was like being IN a concert. Either that, or like having a concert in you. It was literally addictive, and I drove many thousands of miles to nowhere just listening to the stereo. The speakers themselves looked somewhat cheaply made. But as for longevity, I kept the car for several years before the front pair bit the dust. The rear pair sold with the car at 193,000 miles. I would gladly pay 10X my 1978 purchase price for another NIB set.

erod
04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
This is ****** nuts lmao i just threw a pair away last year when my dad died we was cleaning out the attic and there was a pair in a box i thought it was straigjt garbage so in the trash can they went didnt even bother to test them out smh