PDA

View Full Version : '49 Chevy PU build, advice please

Cosmo 49
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Small space, relatively speaking. Here's what I have......

Sony Xplod 52x4 head unit, w/ aux input on face, hidden in glovebox, (has removeable face)

Pyle 6x9 3 ways

Pyramid 1" tweeters

1- no name 8" sub box, well constructed, ported

I'd like to put the tweeters in the upper corners of the windshield, one 6x9 behind the stock center mounted speaker opening, and lastly the sub-box beneath the seat. I've set it up loose and fast and frankly using the sub box and the one 6x9 and the tweeters it sounds great, when using the 6x9's I can't seem to get as good quality sound, separation or richness. Ideas, advice?

Don't seem to need an amp as it sounds powerful in the small space.

Thanks y'all.

galacticmonkey
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
For the love of god dont put any of that equipment in that truck.

TMali
12-31-2009, 01:53 PM
all that stuff you just listed is ****

k_schutte
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I am REALLY hoping this is a joke...

Cosmo 49
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry it's not a joke. Every single post here and the builds are so much more advanced from the knowledge I have. Could you direct or advise me towards an efficient use of the space?

This truck is my only vehicle, year round driver. I have taken 2k trips with it, a dozen more 1k trips, most of the music will come through my MP3 player.

Now that you have voiced your opinions of the equipment I have how about using your ex·per·tise (kspûr-tz)n.
1. Expert advice or opinion.
2. Skill or knowledge in a particular area. in building good sound in this small space?

appreciate the advice, thanks,

Cosmo

1rockford1
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
stay away from stuff u can buy from walmart.

grimreper912003
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Can we have pictures of the truck please? :D

And tell us what your goals are for the system.

jmanpc
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
My expertise dictates that friends don't let friends buy Pyle. :fyi:

Give us a budget and your goals for the system and we'll show you what's good for your app.

And pics of the truck for sure :D

misfit138
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
For the love of god dont put any of that equipment in that truck.

x2

k_schutte
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
If you want sound quality, don't get coaxials and tweeters, get some components. I would suggest getting adapter plates and running some 6.5"s. If you are only going to run a single pair of speakers and a single small subwoofer I would just get a 4 channel amp that can be set to 2-3-4 channel mode. You can simply run the speakers on two channels and bridge the other two channels to run your 8".

You should tell us your budget as well.

misfit138
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd like to see pics of the truck's interior...

Cosmo 49
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
These are the only pics I have right now. Goals? Clean sound; listen mostly to Steve Earl , the old Blues masters, HankIII, SRV, Steve Marriot of Humble Pie. That's quite a range from hard rock to acoustic and voice as the main instrument.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177/49Cosmo/HatHolderTexasStyle-1.jpghttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177/49Cosmo/HOLIDAY%20PICTURES/1Holiday009.jpg

grimreper912003
01-01-2010, 04:58 AM
CDT audio makes a fairly shallow 8" and also nice components.

djarmy2004
01-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Nice old school truck man. Like everyone else, we need a budget

Honez
01-01-2010, 05:56 AM
FAIL.....

but im willing to help out as well, as i have failed many times :(

Cosmo 49
01-01-2010, 09:26 AM
There actually is no limit to the budget as this is my daily driver only vehicle (wife has the grocery getter) for the last twelve years. Would love to impress friends with clean, full, rich sound of let's say Steve Marriot's Black Coffee, or Howlin Wolf's Smokestack Lightnin'. The truck has a '62 3sp+od transmission that I can split the gears to get 6 forward gears, several 2k trips, many 1k trips, she's not just an around town girl.

I'm not going to cut into the doors so that's why I bought tweeters to go up on to the posts and the old AM radio center speaker area seen below as possible sites for speaker placement....

Thanks for the help,

Cosmo

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177/49Cosmo/Interiorshot001.jpg

RED3
01-01-2010, 09:41 AM
nice truck

dappa5
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
well i agree w/ almost every thing
yes what you have is crap but it's what you got
any way do go w/ components but put them in kick panels @ each side and put a center stage or another set of speakers behind that center grill in dash and prob go with a single 10 or a pair of 8's under the seat will make that truck sound like a concert hall
if budget does become an issue just use the single amp idea
but if not then cram 4 quality channels and a sub stage in therte you will not regret it just my $.02

p.s. i wish you lived closer to me i'd say bring her in i'll take care of you

Cosmo 49
01-01-2010, 11:47 AM
thanx dappa5!

Louisiana_CRX
01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
thats a nice truck....

supermaxx123
01-03-2010, 12:52 AM
My cousin has a 49 GMC and I put 2 6 1/2 Boston acoustic components in sealed enclosures and a jl audio 8w1 in a sealed box. Running off an old 4ch MTX. For input i he uses his ipod, and a small switch for remote. The only reason I was able to run the sub was becuase he has his gas tank in the bed.
The truck is loud and being all metal with no damping material anywhere, he usually has to turn it up, but everything is still really clear and sometimes the music can hide the roadnoise ha.
He doesnt have door glass yet lol.

Everything is behind the backseat, cant be seen, which is how he and i both wanted it.
Just a small free set-up, total cost was about $30 for the sub. Everything else i had.

Dont have pictures of the set-up, never thought it was picture worthy. Here's the truck
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/beetle123/DSC00084.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/beetle123/DSC00082.jpg

Cosmo 49
01-03-2010, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=supermaxx123;6870867]My cousin has a 49 GMC and I put 2 6 1/2 Boston acoustic components in sealed enclosures and a jl audio 8w1 in a sealed box. Running off an old 4ch MTX. For input i he uses his ipod, and a small switch for remote. The only reason I was able to run the sub was becuase he has his gas tank in the bed.
The truck is loud and being all metal with no damping material anywhere, he usually has to turn it up, but everything is still really clear and sometimes the music can hide the roadnoise ha.

Everything is behind the backseat, cant be seen, which is how he and i both wanted it.
Just a small free set-up, total cost was about $30 for the sub. Everything else i had.

supermaxx123,

Nice truck, couple of questions ...

So you didn't install a head unit? Like http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243821&highlight=How+To%3A+Ipod ?!?!?

Did you run two channels to the 6.5" 's and then bridged the other two channels for the sub box?

Thanks,

Cosmo

supermaxx123
01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=supermaxx123;6870867]My cousin has a 49 GMC and I put 2 6 1/2 Boston acoustic components in sealed enclosures and a jl audio 8w1 in a sealed box. Running off an old 4ch MTX. For input i he uses his ipod, and a small switch for remote. The only reason I was able to run the sub was becuase he has his gas tank in the bed.

supermaxx123,

Nice truck, couple of questions ...

So you didn't install a head unit? Like http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243821&highlight=How+To%3A+Ipod ?!?!?

Did you run two channels to the 6.5" 's and then bridged the other two channels for the sub box?

Thanks,

Cosmo

I'm a weird person that doesn't use head units. You said you had an mp3 player so you could do it how i do. Only thing is you have to manually turn on/off the amp.
Yes the mtx 2 front channels running the comps, and the rear bridged running the 8. The 8 is getting very little power since its 8ohm impedance, but that amp still pushes it to its max.

nutnbutcustm
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
If you must use factory locations i would scrap the single 6x9 in the dash and get a set of 5 1/4 comps and put both mids in the 6x9 locale and then the tweets on the a-pillar then definately run a 4 channel and bridge the rear channels to your single 8 but be sure you get a svc 4ohm.

also for equipment search the for sale forumns on here spend the same amount of money and get good used equipment rather than cheap new stuff.