PDA

View Full Version : hard drive

01tundraon6s
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I was thinking of buying a portable hard drive, one of the kind you plug into your computer for a backup. I was wondering if i just hooked it up to my USB on my headunit if it would read the files or what? Its a headunit from Canda, 2 din touch screen.

95BlackGA
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Make and Model? Some can read hard drives, but some hard drives require additional power.

TurdFergueson2
12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I think it has something to do with the file system of the drive. Whatever HU it is should hopefully have a compatibility list.

nineball
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
buy a hd that is really designed to be portable. with the abuse it will take in a car (vibrations) you need something that can handle it. you also will need a drive that has a secondary power supply connection as most hus on the market cannot properly power a true disk drive (non-flash). i have had a few drives by Lacie and they all have been great. started out with a 40, then 80, now a 250. they have a typical usb connection but come with an addition cord that is also usb but strictly used for power. i picked up a usb cig lighter adapter for a few bucks on ebay and never looked back.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10995