PDA

View Full Version : 2 ohm versus 4 ohm mids - why not more out there?

qwiketz
12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
I remember seeing the orion hcca component setups that were 2 ohm. Being that most amps are 2 ohm stable these days, why don't we see more 2 ohm speaker setups since the amps make more power at the lower ohm loads?

dragnix
12-28-2009, 05:47 AM
more power doesn't necessarily means more better

thegreatestpenn
12-28-2009, 06:00 AM
cause people like me that like to run 2 sets of comps off 1 2channel wouldn't buy.

because it presents problems when trying to run an active setup.

because it has the possibility of sounding like poop

because the power at 2ohm is usually too much for 1 comp set

jerseyboy
12-28-2009, 06:01 AM
some comps sound great just off 50 watts..

dragnix
12-28-2009, 06:13 AM
4ohm makes your amp works less than when running at 2ohms, so why stress your amp out?

emperorjj1
12-28-2009, 07:04 AM
i agree more power doesn't mean better but it would be nice is some companies made 2 ohm versions of their speakers... helps out especially for peeps with stock premium sound and blow their speakers

supermaxx123
12-29-2009, 01:11 AM
I think THD increases too, not that it matters. I guess if you can't get the power you want at 4, get a better amp.

schackel
12-29-2009, 01:15 AM
my re xxx's are 2 ohm.....

infamous_e46
12-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Too many noobz that can't wire **** right :fyi:

RAM_Designs
12-29-2009, 01:31 AM
No reason not to.

qwiketz
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Too many noobz that can't wire **** right :fyi:

what kind of stupid comment is that? It's a legit question. If it made no sense why would companies like re xxx and orion hcca component sets be around. I'm sure people looked forward toward spending $550 for a piece of crap component set from Orion.

I guess it would make sense if you were a competitor and had a limited wattage to deal with...

I was mainly wondering since most of the amps these days are rated down to 1 ohm. Back in the days, other than the orion hcca's, there were not as many around.

In regards to wiring multiple component sets together, yeah, it wouldn't be a good fit for you. It'd be nice if they offered 4 and 2 ohm.

supermaxx123
12-31-2009, 02:41 AM
what kind of stupid comment is that? It's a legit question. If it made no sense why would companies like re xxx and orion hcca component sets be around. I'm sure people looked forward toward spending $550 for a piece of crap component set from Orion.

I guess it would make sense if you were a competitor and had a limited wattage to deal with...

I was mainly wondering since most of the amps these days are rated down to 1 ohm. Back in the days, other than the orion hcca's, there were not as many around.

In regards to wiring multiple component sets together, yeah, it wouldn't be a good fit for you. It'd be nice if they offered 4 and 2 ohm.

so your just asking "why dont speaker sets come in a way to get the most out of your amp?"
In that case, I've found that running most amps for a while at 4ohms they tend to get hot, at 2ohms hot faster. plus i think it makes an amp look good if it can put out "more power" which is that 2ohm rating.
It is nice that most are 2ohm stereo stable, kinda ***** most 4ch amps are not 2ohm stable mono(bridged), that would be nice.

T3mpest
12-31-2009, 04:26 AM
so your just asking "why dont speaker sets come in a way to get the most out of your amp?"
In that case, I've found that running most amps for a while at 4ohms they tend to get hot, at 2ohms hot faster. plus i think it makes an amp look good if it can put out "more power" which is that 2ohm rating.
It is nice that most are 2ohm stereo stable, kinda ***** most 4ch amps are not 2ohm stable mono(bridged), that would be nice.

they would have to be one ohm stable for that to be the case. Anyway on higher frequencies dropping impedence that low isnt' usually a great idea. The amps do run hotter, which IDK how big you want these amps to be, but you need more heatsinking to keep the cool if not. Also you do lose SQ as you drop impedence, which is alot more noticeable at higher frequencies where you ears are sensative. Lastly, most speakers really can't handle more than legit 100 watts RMS despite what manufactures claim, you don't need to drop an amp to 1/2 ohm to do that or even 2. If you guys want louder speakers you need to be asking why most car audio speakers are only 85db's effecient

galacticmonkey
12-31-2009, 04:29 AM
8ohm FTMFW.

SicAudio
12-31-2009, 04:31 AM
im pretty sure even the lowest end mbquarts are at 85 but most are around 90-95 same with their amps they are all 95+ db sn ratio

T3mpest
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
im pretty sure even the lowest end mbquarts are at 85 but most are around 90-95 same with their amps they are all 95+ db sn ratio

Go find me a 95db/1w/1m car audio speaker. Also keep in mind 1 watt at 4ohms is actually half a watt given constant voltage at 8ohms, which is what the rest of the world goes by when comparing speakers. So really, you have to subtract 3db's if you want actual effeciency. Given most of the mids tiny coils, power compression makes actual RMS vs potential output due to RMS a fantasy anywya so that's fair. Most mids clock in well under 92, which is like 89 in all actuality.

Regardless my point is maximizing the power from most amps wont' get most speakers any louder, just hotter. If you want louder speakers they need to be more effecient, period.

galacticmonkey
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Thats why 8ohm pro audio speakers are FTW. Big *** coils, huge cooling, and 8ohm impedance so you can always bridge two speakers per channel and run each pair of channels at 4ohm mono. When running 8ohm, you can basically just think of it as running one speaker per channel, and you will always get 2 ohm.

Another good thing about 8ohm is wiring 3 speakers together to 2.6ohm and bridging them. Most amps run pretty well at 2.6ohm mono.

And the speakers are just louder too.