PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood DDX514 in PROTECT mode?

timebomb0220
12-26-2009, 04:51 PM
i have a Kenwood DDX514 double din radio deck.
Today i was swapping my old subs with a new box and i accidentley touched the 12V cable to the amp and it sparked a little. i didnt realize i left the radio on went over and turned it of..

After i hooked it all up went over started the car turned on the radio and all it says is PROTECT. in the manual PROTECT means theres a short somewhere or a wire sparked (go figure i sparked the 12V cable to the amp form the batery) so i proceeded to read and it said of i hit the RESET button on the front it would make the radio go back to stock.so i reset it it came back on and it still just reads PROTECT. i pulled the radio out check wires check fuses all good. nothing changed just changed my sub box left everything else the same why would my radio be in protect mode..there is no shorts or anything and i reset it at least 20 times and still only reading protect. and ideas? i just want the radio to work:verymad:

timebomb0220
12-26-2009, 07:04 PM
please someone help!

Fraze
12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
have you tried unplugging the harness and letting it sit for a few minutes and plugging it back in? its usually the same thing as hitting the reset button, but its worth a shot.

timebomb0220
12-26-2009, 07:24 PM
yea i tried that that only works when the car is off and my speakers dont even work but once i get the radio running fine i turn the car on back in protect mode

timebomb0220
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
anyone pleasee

timebomb0220
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
STATUS UPDATE:

When the car is fully turned on i turn it on and reset it and it reads PROTECT. and wont come out of protect mode.

once the car is off or in auxiliary i reset it and the radio works! but i hear no sound in my speakers but the radio is on..

turn the car back on after the radio is reset and working and back to PROTECT it goes..
any ideas?

kodak314
12-26-2009, 11:05 PM
call kenwood

Louisiana_CRX
12-26-2009, 11:06 PM
you must of poped the amplifier chip and its now shorted :crap:

RXZILLA
12-26-2009, 11:59 PM
If a speaker is blown, the speaker wire are grounding out or and RCA is grounding out, these are the only things that will cause and Kenwood unit to go into protect.

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
call kenwood
I did there closed till monday and im trying to fix the problem.

you must of poped the amplifier chip and its now shorted :crap:
the car speakers are stock. im not using a amp for the speakers, just my subwoofer has a amp car speakers are stock.. and the amp is find the amps not in protect mode the kenwood deck is.. the amp for my subs isnt even connected at this time

If a speaker is blown, the speaker wire are grounding out or and RCA is grounding out, these are the only things that will cause and Kenwood unit to go into protect.
1. i dont think a speakers blown cause nothing happened to blow a speaker.
2.what do u mean by grounding out? the only RCS i have is going from the subwooferout on the radio to the RCS on the subwoofer amp. but thats unplugged right now.
3.and i dont think the speaker wire is having problems either cause its all stock.

i have the DDX514 with a wiring harness plugged in the back of it from the stock wire harness. also i have a kenwood steering wheel module plugged into the harness for the steering wheel buttons to work.

i have 1 amp and its for my Sub which is not connected at this time. my speakers are stock and i have a rca, a antenna and a wiring harness plugged into the back of my KENWOOD deck and apparently im in protect mode shorting something somehow.

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
all i was doing was replacing my huge 80lb sub box with a lighter sub+sub box... got rid of the 2 channel + and - wiring and ran 1 + and - speaker cable from my amp mono style, didn't except sparks to fly at all and it was a little spark. i disconnected the 12V cable from the amp and all to be safe.. but what wiring do u think i need to fix?

Radio has 4 gauge wiring going from battery to the amp(fuse holder is in the wire with a 100AMP fuse also). then the amp is grounded and the subs plugged into the amp and all(RCA,REM etc....)

right now the RCA cables are not even plugged into the subwoofer(figured that would stop protect mode) so my radio is finding a problem somewhere else i assume but where? maybe in the wiring harness? i checked the fuses and nothing looked bad everything was fine

just thought of something... my car had to boxes installed behind the radio so i can use the steering wheel controls.. when the car is off or in aux mode these modules never worked cause the car has to be running, so technically the modules for steering wheel controls are not being used. this is when the radio turns on. as soon as the car is started the modules are able to be used usually but this is when the radio is in protect mode. should i unplug those boxes and try that?

UPDATE:
just tryed unplugging the steering wheel module's(theres 2 boxes 1 black and 1 blue) the black one unplugged doesn't allow me to turn on the radio the blue one did nothing. and still im in protect mode.

RXZILLA
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
I did there closed till monday and im trying to fix the problem.

the car speakers are stock. im not using a amp for the speakers, just my subwoofer has a amp car speakers are stock.. and the amp is find the amps not in protect mode the kenwood deck is.. the amp for my subs isnt even connected at this time

1. i dont think a speakers blown cause nothing happened to blow a speaker.
2.what do u mean by grounding out?Touching metal the only RCS i have is going from the subwooferout on the radio to the RCS on the subwoofer amp. but thats unplugged right now.
3.and i dont think the speaker wire is having problems either cause its all stock.

i have the DDX514 with a wiring harness plugged in the back of it from the stock wire harness. also i have a kenwood steering wheel module plugged into the harness for the steering wheel buttons to work.

i have 1 amp and its for my Sub which is not connected at this time. my speakers are stock and i have a rca, a antenna and a wiring harness plugged into the back of my KENWOOD deck and apparently im in protect mode shorting something somehow.

In red

Louisiana_CRX
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
thge amp chip in your deck is most likely dead shorted now...fried

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 01:05 AM
In red
whats touching metal. i didn't ground anything but the sub amp thats grounded correctly. everything else is still stock

thge amp chip in your deck is most likely dead shorted now...fried

soo if i call kenwood do you think its covered? i bought the radio in april...and this happened today, how could this even happen? power can jump threw a RCA cable to a radio even tho im dealing with the a subwoofer amp?

RXZILLA
12-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Ok. Good luck.

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 01:49 AM
????

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 02:03 AM
??

timebomb0220
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
so thats it u guys got nothin else