PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 system build

dcman401
12-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Here are the details. I'll try to include all necessary information.

Budget: Up to $800, but of course less is better.
I will be using it for music and movies coming from my computer.
I love loud low rumbling bass, but it's probably more the highs/mids that will be most important. Anything that will be more than loud enough for my 10'x14' room and still clear at high volumes works for me. I also have a behringer 1500rms amp i bought from partsexpress a few years back, so if I need extra bass in the future I can always add on with that.

I just ordered a new computer that has an HDMI output port that i will hook into my televison(haven't picked a nice one out yet, but looking). It also has a sound card with 5.1 integrated surround sound. So basically 3 1/8" jacks that I will buy RCA converters for. I have looked at buying a computer surround sound system like the logitech z5500, but I just feel like I could get much more for my money going with a HTIB, and there weren't a lot to choose from (but correct me if I'm wrong). I have enclosure building skills since I used to build car audio systems, but I don't have the time for that with work. So no DIY this time around.

I just want to make sure I'm getting true 5.1 surround sound from my computer source. I play all my movies from the computer on my TV, so as long as 5.1 works with that I'm all set. All my movies on my computer I put on from bluray DVDS I have bought or are that MKV format. Not sure if 5.1 will work with the mkv formatted ones, but the 40gb bluray movies I have should have 5.1 output right? I use VLC movie player to play them.

My computer does not have that optical output port.

I have been doing research the past week and have read lots of suggestions, but just can't seem to find a real good match yet. I see tons of recommendation for ONKYO and KLIPSCH, so i'll keep looking into that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and I look forward to joining your forum,

Ben