PDA

View Full Version : speaker wire question

yotamutt
12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
anyone know what guage speaker wire i probably have in my '04 tacoma, or how i can tell? and, if so how much power can be run on factory speaker wires without a prolem?

Thanks for al help.

Jh8909
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
i don't know your car but its probally 22 or something. and 22 gauge wouldn't flow very much.

phemps
12-19-2009, 06:01 PM
do you plan on somehow incorporating factory wiring into an amped setup? and... whyy?

SicAudio
12-19-2009, 06:10 PM
anything under 75rms or so is fine on factory wiring if u tap in at the kick ect. somewhere close. the small 1 or 2 feet is not a huge deal at all. the stockwire is thicker than most mids leads are anyway so..............

phemps
12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
anything under 75rms or so is fine on factory wiring if u tap in at the kick ect. somewhere close. the small 1 or 2 feet is not a huge deal at all. the stockwire is thicker than most mids leads are anyway so..............

which is only an inch or two long. thats why truth to it being dependent on how long your wire is going to be

yotamutt
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
actually i'm not really sure how long the wires will be. i'm doing as much of the install as i can between now and tues night then it's going to the installer for the rest. i was trying to figure out if i should run bigger wire and/or have them run bigger wire. the amp is a pdx-5 rated at 75 rms per channel - birth sheet says 104 though.

Jh8909
12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
do the build yourself. save some money. there is plenty of people on this forum that will help you if you ask the right questions. and I would run new wire to be on the safe side. get some nice kicker or RF 16 gauge.

yotamutt
12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Jh8909
Most of my reason for having some of it done by a pro is time i can have my truck apart, with work kids and all. and then there's some of it that is a little intimidating. honestly i know i can do any of it with enough time. it's just time i don't have a lot of.
Anyone know what's the right path for the wires going from the amp under the seat to the crossovers in the doors? (x-cab '04 tacoma) I'm assuming under the console then behind the dash to the doors. sound like a pain. also from the amp to the rear speakers in the rear quarters?