PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide....

302yota
12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
well i plan on upgrading my current front stage in my toyota pickup....(dual 6.5's, the one's that light up from walmart...lol.., with some cheap PA tweeters)....i was looking at the ppi 365's, but for the price of the pg rsd's i'm starting to think about those also...i dont have the amp yet, but most likely it will be an eclipse xa1200, or the eclipse xa4000, depending on which one my uncle will sell me.....i would also like to know what you guys mean by running your frontstage active or passive....i more of a SPL kinda guy but, i'm starting to get an itch for a little bit of sq, and it would be nice to learn a few things...so any advice would be nice

kyleorsini
12-18-2009, 09:21 PM
if your wanting sq, then you chose the complete wrong speakers, do some research on here for some 6.5 comps that are in a price range your willing to spend.

SicAudio
12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
i have had several ppl that got "great advice from a friend on this forum" to buy the pg or ppi and several were pissed at how ****** they are compared to other stuff in the same price range. they all bought a dif brand from me and were much happier. for what they are they are ok at best if all you want is loud. but for decent sq u need to look elsewhere.

302yota
12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
well my price range is no more that 160 for a set of components....i would really like some powerful mids, with crisp and clear tweets....i wont be competing in any sq comps by no means, just something for me to enjoy....and as far as running active or passive, what is all that about?...lol

Bumpin' Goalie
12-19-2009, 02:29 AM
passive is running through the basic crossovers that come with comps. active is running thru processing aka gain control, etc.

look at these
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm

302yota
12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
oh ok...i think i kinda understand it now......well i had also checked out the id's, but i figured that i would need a lower frequency response than 55hz, but i'm not really sure what i want due to the fact that i've never really studied sq frontstages, nor have i ever really heard a sq front stage system...lol

altoncustomtech
12-19-2009, 01:10 PM
i have had several ppl that got "great advice from a friend on this forum" to buy the pg or ppi and several were pissed at how ****** they are compared to other stuff in the same price range. they all bought a dif brand from me and were much happier. for what they are they are ok at best if all you want is loud. but for decent sq u need to look elsewhere.

just out of idle curiosity... are you sure they really had them installed correctly? There's review after review on these speakers about the better than average SQ of these sets for the price, especially the PG's.... I've had quite a bit of experience with the PG's and thought, for the money (~$80) they are REALLY hard to beat... of course each install was done with sound deadening, CCF, sealed doors, etc... and the sets weren't run off the HU's either...
I don't mean any disrespect, just curious that's all.

oh ok...i think i kinda understand it now......well i had also checked out the id's, but i figured that i would need a lower frequency response than 55hz, but i'm not really sure what i want due to the fact that i've never really studied sq frontstages, nor have i ever really heard a sq front stage system...lol

the listed freq. response is definitely one of the important qualities of the sets to look at.... but if you have a subwoofer you should be crossing the sets over at 60-80hz anyway which would make that 55hz irrelevant.... SQ is also VERY subjective.... or in other words what sounds great to me may not sound very good at all to you... the best thing you could do is see if there's anyone around who can demo some stuff for you and see what you like... the sound boards at the shops are ok, but if you can listen to some different sets installed in a car it would be much better.... We can all recommend ALOT of different sets, but your ears will be the best judges..... and to SicAudio, the PPI's and the PG's may not be the BEST SQ speakers out there, but compared to the cheap ones he's already got and the prices, he'd most likely be quite happy with the results over the ones he has now......

302yota
12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
well i already have a substage, 2 kicker comp 12's (sealed), and believe or not it gets surprising loud, i'm guessing because of my single cab....but i'm not really impressed with the sq of my subs, so i will more than likely upgrade that also, down the road...thinking about 2 1508's in a center console tuned around 35 (should peak lower, i know how dd recommends tuning between 36-40, but i think i'll enjoy the lower tuning, and hopefully my mids will pickup where my subs don't)....idk why i'm getting such an itch for sq all of the sudden, but if i feel like having a loud side again, i've got an hdc318 and a bxi2008 just chillin in my room waiting for somethin for them to be put in....lol

Bass911
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
well i plan on upgrading my current front stage in my toyota pickup....(dual 6.5's, the one's that light up from walmart...lol.., with some cheap PA tweeters)....i was looking at the ppi 365's, but for the price of the pg rsd's i'm starting to think about those also...i dont have the amp yet, but most likely it will be an eclipse xa1200, or the eclipse xa4000, depending on which one my uncle will sell me.....i would also like to know what you guys mean by running your frontstage active or passive....i more of a SPL kinda guy but, i'm starting to get an itch for a little bit of sq, and it would be nice to learn a few things...so any advice would be nice

I've had both and between the 2, the PPI are better IMO. If you want a strong mid get the Opti6c.

SicAudio
12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
yes i have installed several and they all had deadener. the opti are by far better. for what they cost tho he will be alot happier than with what he has lolz

for 160 id say cdt or mbquart for really crisp tweets the quart pvi tweets are hard to beat.

SicAudio
12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
for 150 shipped the S7 almani has better midbass than anything listed by alot! and the tweets are as good as the opti is but still a little harsh to me so not the same detail that a cdt high end or pvi has. but for the cost very very hard to beat. 2" vc full cnc machined basket and grills and 180 rms each lolz.

302yota
12-20-2009, 02:04 AM
well i checked out the almani s7's on ebay, and i thought they looked really solid, and for 120$, they're prolly hard to beat....but after searching the forums, i found a lot of bad reviews and neg comments about them...so i really dont know about those

basudec1509
12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
hello guys ...

its really nice and informative post....

i just liked it....

thanks for your information guys ...........