PDA

View Full Version : Port Freq Differences?

crfrider
12-18-2009, 12:21 AM
a yes i was wondering now the lower the tune like say for instance 30 hz is that going to just play low notes, the bass you feel that shakes the car apart, and say for instance a 40 hz or 45hz tune will play louder notes like tight punch bass that gets loud and not very low loud where you can hear it alot further away? like say i was to build a box 10 cubes for 2 18s and tune the port to a 40hz tune, now will that bump good and still hit all notes and the low notes good, would it change the differnce in bass notes like say i wanted to play some rock would it sound better with a higher tune and not a low tune like 30 hz? also why is it that the higher tunes is what they use in SPL comps? just to get the loud bass and not the low? thanks

Pr1m3
12-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I'll assume you didn't search, which you should
But... I'll try to figure out what the questions are here...
If I answer something wrong feel free to correct me.

a yes i was wondering now the lower the tune like say for instance 30 hz is that going to just play low notes, the bass you feel that shakes the car apart, and say for instance a 40 hz or 45hz tune will play louder notes like tight punch bass that gets loud and not very low?

Two parts to this, the lower the tuning means a lower peak range, so it's 45hz on a box tuned to 40hz will be louder than 45hz in a box tuned to 30hz.
Second part if the sub plays a note lower than the tuning of the box, than you drastically increase the risk of mechanical failure and bottoming out if the suspension is not stiff enough to handle it.

where you can hear it alot further away?

This should not be your concern............. :crap:

also why is it that the higher tunes is what they use in SPL comps? just to get the loud bass and not the low?

IIRC you're pretty close. I think it's because subs are much less efficient at producing very low bass. 40-50hz seems to be the sweet spot for SPL.

Hope I helped. Next time, search!

PS: Add more of these> . , ; ' ! ? <