PDA

View Full Version : Am I gonna blow this?

86TaurusHSC
12-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Im putting together a system with an Audiobahn A1801T (1000peak, 560rms @2ohms) with one Kicker CVR15 (1000 peak, 500rms @ 2 ohms). I built a box yesterday measuring 26x20x16 yielding ~4.8 cf. The min for this speaker is 1.8 and the max is 5.0cf. I do have alot of bracing on the inside, so it will probably be about 4.5 or so cf. Is this gonna melt if i put it to its max? Should i put some extra panels on the inside to take up some cf? btw its a sealed box.

tobz
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
That should pound very nicely with no problems. You might want to add bracing simply because the box might flex being that large and sealed, but you shouldn't blow the sub. Have fun bumping, and let us know how it turns out!

86TaurusHSC
12-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I am working on the bracing now, Im using red oak 2x3" strips (i think). Im not sure if this is the best wood to use, but its the only one out of about 7 different woods that either didnt break when i flexed it, or didnt sound like it was going to break. Im doing all the corners with the wood, and i am planning on doing a cross brace on all but one panel(the one that holds the woofer). There doesnt need to be any other material inside the box does there? would some sort of rubberized coating on the inside help at all?

tobz
12-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Nah, I would just put a plus-sign style brace in the center to all sides (except the front of course, since there is a hole there), and you should be golden. If you want, you can probably do do two plus-sign style bracings towards the sides, that way you can brace all the way to the front wall, and then run one piece from left to right through both +'s. Go ahead and brace it up and see how she wangs!

T.J.

86TaurusHSC
12-14-2003, 09:20 PM
I was reading through the kicker tech manual and it says that "all sealed boxes should be 50% filled with loose polyfil". What does it do?, do i need it? thats probably a dumb question since the manual says you do...... but if the box is 50% filled, isnt it going to get into the subwoofer? or does the box have to be on end or something to keep it all seperated? im confused

86TaurusHSC
12-16-2003, 03:34 AM
*BUMP* (sorry)

lombardo
12-17-2003, 07:47 AM
No it won't get in the woofer. Hit up walmart and for 3 bucks you can get a 48oz polyfill bag just loosen it up and fill it about half the box. In theory it slows down the sound waves tricking the speaker into thinking it's in a larger box. I put it in with my brahma and I liked it.

86TaurusHSC
12-19-2003, 11:19 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in me choosing my system. Unfortunately on wednesday i had some heart problems and totaled my car going 40, into a power pole. So now i have a system, but i have no car. Oh well thats how it goes, at least i can have a really bassy system on my computer or something. Well, Thank you again to everyone for their help.

jbl_marshall21
12-20-2003, 12:47 AM
thats too bad dude. hope u get some wheels.