PDA

View Full Version : If you are planning on buying some bookshelf speakers for under $150

PV Audio
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Then don't, and buy these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

Trust me, do it. They're $25 dollars which is less than a fraction of what I would spend on a single crossover in one of my DIY speakers and they are just outstanding. We're not talking world class sound quality obviously, but they are exceptionally good. Trust me on this one: if you want a good set of bookshelf speakers, these are the best out there for the money.

tez4life
12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Cool, I honestly could use some in my bedroom at the moment, but didnt want to invest too much since the holidays tapped me pretty dry. Very nice find.

PV Audio
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Trust me on this as one of the only home audio forum regulars: these will blow your mind. For the price of a box of light bulbs and a wiperblade, you have monitors that rival things 5x their price. If you know me, then you know I'm a huge critic so you should believe everything that I say ESPECIALLY since I almost always tell people to go DIY. Don't, because for the money you can't get close by DIYing.

westman995
12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Wish i had an extra 50 so i could grab two pairs, free shipping.

bubbagumper6
12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
****, only 25$ a pair and PV says they're good? I'm tempted but have no use for them...lol

mbrooky
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
sweet deal! what do you think of these PV:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310163261649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290343088610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

SubNit
12-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Nice this is just the thread I was looking for. I need some speakers for my setup in my room and I may end up just getting these now.

How would these compare to something like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-680

^Thats what I was planning on getting to hold me over until I'm ready to invest in some quality speakers. Thoughts on which choice would be better?

PV Audio
12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Nice this is just the thread I was looking for. I need some speakers for my setup in my room and I may end up just getting these now.

How would these compare to something like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-680

^Thats what I was planning on getting to hold me over until I'm ready to invest in some quality speakers. Thoughts on which choice would be better?
Well that's a home theatre speaker set, and what I posted were just hi-fi speakers so you really can't compare the two.

Brian_smith06
12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
hmm tempting. I may pick up a set after christmas

PV Audio
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
sweet deal! what do you think of these PV:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310163261649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290343088610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITCadence is not one of the brands I'd look at first when it comes to home audio, but I've never heard those so I can't really comment.

SicAudio
12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
trust him on this guys i have used those in dozens of HT builds they are quite amazing even as surrounds.

PV Audio
12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
God, these speakers sound beautiful. I'm going to crack them open tomorrow to see what sort of x-over they've got. They just shouldn't sound this good for this little money.

SubNit
12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Well that's a home theatre speaker set, and what I posted were just hi-fi speakers so you really can't compare the two.

I know the main difference between the two, I'm just wondering if I could use these in place of that other set as my HT speakers as a better option

trust him on this guys i have used those in dozens of HT builds they are quite amazing even as surrounds.

Like this guy^

bubbagumper6
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
eh screw it, why not. Grabbed 2 pair, plus some cheap 6ft ethernet cables (only 75 cents each!), 100ft of 18 gauge speaker wire for less than 10 bucks, and a usb cable...lol

I love Parts Express :)

civicman07
12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Picked up 2 pairs, not sure what Im going to use them for but for $50 its a good deal. Thanks PV Audio for the heads up.

PV Audio
12-18-2009, 03:48 AM
No problem. I just snagged 3 more pairs. Going to get an electric piano soon and will need to get a set of speakers to go along with it. Unlike most digital piano makers, they don't really realize that pianos range from ~4200hz to below 30hz, so they give you these tinny *** speakers which don't do their product justice. A set of these bad boys with my sub on a switched mode on my receiver and I'll be rockin.

hempy
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
No problem. I just snagged 3 more pairs. Going to get an electric piano soon and will need to get a set of speakers to go along with it. Unlike most digital piano makers, they don't really realize that pianos range from ~4200hz to below 30hz, so they give you these tinny *** speakers which don't do their product justice. A set of these bad boys with my sub on a switched mode on my receiver and I'll be rockin.

PE is apparently sending out promo codes around now (I don't ever remember them doing this?). Not sure if it's based on a prior purchase or something, but you may want to check your email before you order any more.

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Then don't, and buy these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

Trust me, do it. They're $25 dollars which is less than a fraction of what I would spend on a single crossover in one of my DIY speakers and they are just outstanding. We're not talking world class sound quality obviously, but they are exceptionally good. Trust me on this one: if you want a good set of bookshelf speakers, these are the best out there for the money.

thanks man, I was looking for a cheaper pair of bookshelves to buy for either my surrounds, or for a 2.1 setup with a polk psw110.. I was looking at the polk tsi100s aka ( monitor 30s ) but they are about $200 for the tsis at BB and $90 for the monitors @ newegg.. Then I saw Best buy had some polk T15 bookshelves for $55 ( here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+-+5-1/4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+%28Pair%29+-+Black/8828012.p?id=1207956903491&skuId=8828012) ) And they were on display right next to the tsi100s.. I listened to the tsi s first, then the T15 .. and wow, even for a computer or surround , I would never buy the T15s, they sound terrible, .

In comparison switching back and forth the tsi were very warm and full , with a good mid and tweet, the T15s were just hollow and sounded weak, with nothing behind them.. NOT even worth the $55 @ half price..

And I have heard about these before to, but its nice to get a good feedback from a member who knows what actually is good and not some putts consumer who has no idea what good sq is.. I think im gonna order these now, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Here were the 2 I was comparing at best buy.. I never thought near identical speakers could sound so different

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk/Polk-Bookshelf-Speakers/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1207956903491*1207352527254&unProductString=1218121950013*1218121949323*121812 1947889*1207957307769*1207956903826*1207956903759* 1207352529199*1207352527388&catId=pcmcat150300050001

PV Audio
12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
That's because the T15 is only ported to try and get a bit more bass response, when the cabinet is far too small for that driver to be ported. All that the port is probably doing is raising the enclosure resonance and giving it a HUGE peak in impedance at higher than wanted frequencies, which is likely causing the weakness. Either that or they crossed the speakers over near the end of their frequency response ranges which causes a null when listening on axis (cheap 1st order butterworth x-over). A 2nd order linkwitz-riley would probably have helped, but the enclosure should just be sealed anyway. What they should have done is to put a zobel network in there with it since they're going to be crossing that midrange over pretty high up there since I would be surprised if that tweeter could even yawn below 3000hz but then the high frequencies out of that mid would start beaming and it'd still sound like ****. OR I could be wrong and they're crossing the tweeter over too low which is causing a gap in the midrange in which a series notch filter might help to bring up the output to a smoother level instead of a huge dip then a spike. I could just be wrong on all counts :D

I'm sorry if this doens't make logical sense, I think out loud all the time. I'm just typing out loud :laugh:

galacticmonkey
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I needed some 15" grills anyway, and Ive been eyeing a set of those speakers. You cant even get 2 decent mids for that price, much less enclosures, mids, tweeters, and crossovers.

Just ordered a set. Dont know what Ill use them for though.

PV Audio
12-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I needed some 15" grills anyway, and Ive been eyeing a set of those speakers. You cant even get 2 decent mids for that price, much less enclosures, mids, tweeters, and crossovers.

Just ordered a set. Dont know what Ill use them for though.With the exception of two (Dayton classic and Hi-Vi SD1), you can't get a hi-fi tweeter for under 25. That's one tweeter I mean.

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 07:42 PM
That's because the T15 is only ported to try and get a bit more bass response, when the cabinet is far too small for that driver to be ported. All that the port is probably doing is raising the enclosure resonance and giving it a HUGE peak in impedance at higher than wanted frequencies, which is likely causing the weakness. Either that or they crossed the speakers over near the end of their frequency response ranges which causes a null when listening on axis (cheap 1st order butterworth x-over). A 2nd order linkwitz-riley would probably have helped, but the enclosure should just be sealed anyway. What they should have done is to put a zobel network in there with it since they're going to be crossing that midrange over pretty high up there since I would be surprised if that tweeter could even yawn below 3000hz. OR I could be wrong and they're crossing the tweeter over too low which is causing a gap in the midrange in which a series notch filter might help to bring up the output to a smoother level instead of a huge dip then a spike.

I'm sorry if this doens't make logical sense, I think out loud all the time. I'm just typing out loud :laugh:

No It does make complete sense.. The enclosure , was the first thing that came to mind considering the tsi100s are ( i believe ) the same 5 1/4.. But yea the difference was pretty extreme.. Crossover points .. I dunno man, the T15 is all kinds of f@cked up the tweetes seemed to have 1 frequency 10khz and empty.. But enough about them, im sure a better cabinet would help , but it doesnt matter

How do those PE bookshelves sound? any comparisons? I have them in my cart right now, and am trying to find something else i want or need for $24 , in order to get free shipping ( otherwise its like $14 :wow: ) I need a new jasper jig but there not on sale and like $40... hmmm what can i find....:confused:

galacticmonkey
12-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Just stock up on connectors and stuff.

bubbagumper6
12-18-2009, 10:18 PM
No It does make complete sense.. The enclosure , was the first thing that came to mind considering the tsi100s are ( i believe ) the same 5 1/4.. But yea the difference was pretty extreme.. Crossover points .. I dunno man, the T15 is all kinds of f@cked up the tweetes seemed to have 1 frequency 10khz and empty.. But enough about them, im sure a better cabinet would help , but it doesnt matter

How do those PE bookshelves sound? any comparisons? I have them in my cart right now, and am trying to find something else i want or need for $24 , in order to get free shipping ( otherwise its like $14 :wow: ) I need a new jasper jig but there not on sale and like $40... hmmm what can i find....:confused:

just scroll all the way up and click "Clearance Center" in the top left...**** is hella cheap in there (hence the 6ft ethernet cables for 75 cents)

Get some speaker wire, 100ft of 18 gauge for less than 10 bucks!

tommyk90
12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I was tempted to buy a pair of these as surround sound speakers but they are just too large for my liking. Oh well. :(

Louisiana_CRX
12-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I may snag a couple of pairs and run in the hatch area of my Focus.......

not :D

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I may snag a couple of pairs and run in the hatch area of my Focus.......

not :D

why not :confused::confused:

its original, im sure you could pull off a 130 :thumbsup:

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a ton of connecters and a full roll of Jl audio 12 awg... I think the only thing i need is a **** jasper jig... And a 1000 watt plate amp.. :)

whats the usual sale price on the jigs? there at $38 now

Fender5
12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
how much are you guys giving to these speakers/

hzsogood
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM
how much are you guys giving to these speakers/

Pretty sure you could put quite a bit to them.. any home receiver would be fine for the most part.. My receiver is rated 95 watts x5 ( 20hz - 20khz )

PV Audio
12-19-2009, 12:14 AM

I don't know what to compare them to, only that they are very great value. I am not a huge fan of bookshelf speakers anyway, but they're the best value on the market, hands down. Get as many of them as you can while you can.

PV Audio
12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Pretty sure you could put quite a bit to them.. any home receiver would be fine for the most part.. My receiver is rated 95 watts x5 ( 20hz - 20khz )Yeah...no it doesn't. Try maybe 25x5. Receivers are overrated like you cannot even believe.

bsean63
12-19-2009, 12:22 AM
PV im sooo gonna come to you when i start my Home theatre build!!!
u care lol?

hzsogood
12-19-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know what to compare them to, only that they are very great value. I am not a huge fan of bookshelf speakers anyway, but they're the best value on the market, hands down. Get as many of them as you can while you can.

NO biggie man, just wondering if YOU had some bookshelves to compare them to, cuz at this point ive heard almost everything from $55 - $2000.. This hobby is to expensive ;)

Maybe Ill just order 2 sets then, might as well , itll take off shipping @ ( 14 bucks ) which brings my second pair down to $11 :D

PV Audio
12-19-2009, 01:51 AM
PV im sooo gonna come to you when i start my Home theatre build!!!
u care lol?
I'm all ears, but I'm far from the HT guru on this forum :)

Pickler
12-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Can some one recommend a good cheap 2.1/5.1 receiver for these?

SubNit
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Ordered a set of them myself, among alot of other things. That place is just too tempting to spend money.....

Hopefully their as good as you claim;)

hzsogood
12-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Ordered a set of them myself, among alot of other things. That place is just too tempting to spend money.....

Hopefully their as good as you claim;)

very true.. Im still waiting till the last minute , hoping they drop the price on the jasper jig ;)

SubNit
12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
very true.. Im still waiting till the last minute , hoping they drop the price on the jasper jig ;)

Haha yeah I was going to wait for the price on that jasper jig aswell but I went ahead and threw it into the mix. I saw people ordering ALOT of these speakers so I figured I better get mine while I can

Hoping to have them in by Friday:veryhapp:

bubbagumper6
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Got my speakers today...they look nice. First one I pulled out had something rattling around it though :crap:

Took the main speaker out and it was one of the small pieces of wood they put in the corners for bracing. While I was in there though I kinda poked around...didn't see any kind of crossover at all, just looked like both speakers were wired directly to the terminal?

Can some one recommend a good cheap 2.1/5.1 receiver for these?

x2...PV? lol

Decent? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=250-503

SubNit
12-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Got my speakers in today.

Reciever doesn't get here until next wednesday even though I ordered it a week ago:verymad: It should be a nice little setup though. I'll be sure to post up my expert opinion on these bad boys

bubbagumper6
12-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Got my speakers in today.

Reciever doesn't get here until next wednesday even though I ordered it a week ago:verymad: It should be a nice little setup though. I'll be sure to post up my expert opinion on these bad boys

What Receiver did you get?

SubNit
12-24-2009, 01:40 PM
What Receiver did you get?

Yamaha RX-V663:veryhapp:

bubbagumper6
12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Yamaha RX-V663:veryhapp:

Nice, more than I'm willing to spend...

joeybutts
12-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I considered buying these but am also thinking about building Overnight Sensations....supposed to be dynamite for about $80 in parts....

hempy
12-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I considered buying these but am also thinking about building Overnight Sensations....supposed to be dynamite for about $80 in parts....

Plus the personal satisfaction of building them yourself.

budahbuddy803
12-25-2009, 06:11 PM
OK i just got some speaker stands because i have been running 2.1 in the dorm because i couldnt mount speakers behind me without stands. Well now i have them and i can run some crappy thangs, but i really want to grab a pair of these.

Does anyone know what these look like in the back or on the bottom? I need to see if i can use my stands for these speakers and i havent found any pictures of them from the back

budahbuddy803
12-26-2009, 02:33 AM
bump for pictures of the back of these speakers please!

SubNit
12-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm too lazy to upload them

Their solid on the bottom and have a small hook-type-deal on the upper portion of the back (dead center)

Hope that helps

solidcrowd
12-26-2009, 03:15 PM
So should i return my Polk Audio T15's (rear surrounds) for these? I paid $69 for the pair

perfecxionX
12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Took the main speaker out and it was one of the small pieces of wood they put in the corners for bracing. While I was in there though I kinda poked around...didn't see any kind of crossover at all, just looked like both speakers were wired directly to the terminal?

A single electrolytic cap is the tweeter crossover and the woofer is run full range.

http://zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html
might be worth saving your money if your concerned more about quality than value

I guess I can say that if they even make sound at all, they are a great value. For some customers, that is really all they need. However, I find it hard to put my stamp of approval on these speakers. Guys like me are obviously a bit more discerning about sound quality. Some people are looking for a diamond in the rough, and this system is not it.

For home theater, this system will be an improvement over a TV's built in speaker. Again, that's all some customers will need. Maybe add a subwoofer and cross higher to remove some of the problem boom.

Don't take any of this review and commentary as overly bad. This is a $25/pair system and everyone should set their expectations accordingly. It's certainly not bad for what it costs.