PDA

View Full Version : sealed or ported...

mrrbiggz
12-15-2009, 03:19 AM
I picked up a DC lvl 3 15 and I was wonderin what it sounds better in...a sealed or a ported... Website shows both applications....Anyone have luck with any types...I got abt 1500 to 1700wrms to play with.....

BeAlLsTaR13
12-15-2009, 04:10 AM
repoast x8

loudcartunez
12-15-2009, 04:23 AM
he must reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly need to no hahahaha

Phatmat
12-15-2009, 07:49 AM
It was probably lag, and he was click happy lol.

Anyway, on topic, sealed and ported are different - one is not better than the other, it's preference. If you want fairly quiet, and more bass to 'feel' then go for sealed. Where as if you want loud and kicking bass, go for ported.

I would recommend ported, as you're getting 2x the efficiency from the subs, due to using both wave directions created from the sub cone. So if you've got the space, go for ported, if you don't then go sealed, just my two cents.

PV Audio
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
It was probably lag, and he was click happy lol.

Anyway, on topic, sealed and ported are different - one is not better than the other, it's preference. If you want fairly quiet, and more bass to 'feel' then go for sealed. Where as if you want loud and kicking bass, go for ported.

I would recommend ported, as you're getting 2x the efficiency from the subs, due to using both wave directions created from the sub cone. So if you've got the space, go for ported, if you don't then go sealed, just my two cents.Ah my friend, but below f3, you're getting 1/4 the efficiency and half the efficiency of a sealed enclosure :)

Paaco1981
12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Sealed Vs Ported for most subs just depends on your sound preference. I would say do a well designed ported enclosure tuned in the low 30's and you will probably be happy though. I did a small sealed enclosure for this latest build and I hate it. It may just be the subs disappointing me though, I have never been a big fan of JL Audio :(

ccab
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Sealed=SQ
Ported=SPL

which do you want?

PV Audio
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Sealed=SQ
Ported=SPL

which do you want?
Without a doubt the vaguest and most easily misproven "rule of thumb" ever to appear in audio. I could list off many many speakers that hold the opposite. It's down to the way the driver is designed, not just the enclosure itself.

mrrbiggz
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
I am lookin for a bass I can feel and that goes low but I want the sub to be efficient at the higher end. I have abt 4 cu to work with. Im sure I can get a ported in there as well as a sealed.

mrrbiggz
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
WOW I just woke up and opened up the thread but I didnt see WTF happened with the other threads LMAO!!!!! And I was wonderin what the hell everyone was talking and "lag and really needing to know" lololol SORRY FAM!!I work nights so the computer @ work ***** knuutz.