PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Below Fs

tinmanchris217
12-14-2009, 08:58 AM
From my reading, tuning below Fs isn't a bad thing... as long as you're willing to trade-off max SPL for low frequency extension.

Has anyone tried this?? Needed to know if this would make things catch fire, create a time warp, etc.

Ex:
My 10's have Fs = 39 Hz. If I set 2 of them in 2 cf + 27 Hz port, box calculators show great response between 23 - 200 Hz box (without cabin gain considerations). This seems too good to be true though.

marcotheclepto
12-14-2009, 09:03 AM
From my reading, tuning below Fs isn't a bad thing... as long as you're willing to trade-off max SPL for low frequency extension.

Has anyone tried this?? Needed to know if this would make things catch fire, create a time warp, etc.

Ex:
My 10's have Fs = 39 Hz. If I set 2 of them in 2 cf + 27 Hz port, box calculators show great response between 23 - 200 Hz box (without cabin gain considerations). This seems too good to be true though.

while 27 Hz may be slightly low for car audio use, tuning below your subs fs is no problem.

kraudio12
12-14-2009, 09:06 AM
i had a box tuned that low and idk it sounded good and everything and got real low but i didn't feel it like i thought i would

hope that helps

i had a tye x tuned down to like 26 or something close to that can't remember was awhile ago

tinmanchris217
12-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys!

That's exactly what I was expecting... decreased output, and audible extension into the sub-sonosphere. :D

The idea I was going for was a "Daily Protection Port" to make sure I had 0% chance of bottoming and get good SQ bass (flat-ish response)... then a competition port that's balls-huge and horrible sounding.