PDA

View Full Version : Home Studio Monitors..

saywhat?
12-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I want to build a set of studio monitors for a studio I am starting to slowly build up. I am not 100% sure on how things are worked with crossovers and such as right now I am just working with a surround type setup.

I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to build a crap setup that won't be an upgrade. I would like to run tweeters, mids, and a 8 inch sub. What should I be looking at doing here?

SSS 18734
12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
If you're looking to do crossover design, you need to be looking at doing a lot of reading.

If you just want to get right into it, use the plans on partsexpress. They have quite a few projects on there.

PV Audio
12-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I want to build a set of studio monitors for a studio I am starting to slowly build up. I am not 100% sure on how things are worked with crossovers and such as right now I am just working with a surround type setup.

I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to build a crap setup that won't be an upgrade. I would like to run tweeters, mids, and a 8 inch sub. What should I be looking at doing here?I think I've gotten pretty decent at x-over design but obviously not to the likes of bose301s. Let me know if you need help. :)

JimJ
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Zaph ZD5s...

saywhat?
12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Is it possible to power a pair of monitors from my computer or is the need for an amp absolute? I really want to get a decent sounding setup for ~150 as I am also buying a mixer and sound card.

JimJ
12-12-2009, 04:36 PM
or is the need for an amp absolute?

Yes.

I really want to get a decent sounding setup for ~150 as I am also buying a mixer and sound card.

Save more.

PV Audio
12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Zaph ZD5s...Yeah Jim, the ZD5 is about as far from not only a studio monitor but also a value system as you can get. While I respect Krutke, he is an incredibly arrogant man and talks down to people who ask him questions that any novice would be interested in learning. I'd always go to diyaudio.com if I wanted a design so that I didn't have to deal with "if you can't read the circuit then you don't deserve to use my design so I can't help you". That's bullshit.

PV Audio
12-12-2009, 08:00 PM
saywhat, I"ll see what I can do in the coming week. I have finals to study for however, so it might not be soon. I did design a budget monitor for Moe Lester a few years ago and he seemed rather pleased with it and IIRC it wasn't that much.

saywhat?
12-12-2009, 10:31 PM
right on. no hurry. i know its finals/holiday season. dealin with it myself.