PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Mounting in Convertible

Topless Stang
12-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Just as the title says....I have a set of Hertz HSK165s and plan on installing them in my Mustang soon. It's a convertible, so I'm thinking that mounting the tweets in the A-pillar might be my best bet. I think that if I just flush mount them on axis with the mid in the door I'll loose a ton of sound with the top and windows down. I was thinking of getting one of those CDT Upstage kits as well to help...depending on people's thoughts about mounting the Hertz Tweets off axis. Has anyone mounted them off axis like this, and if so were you happy with it? I thought I read somewhere that the mid was designed to work off axis as well as on axis...what's the consensus here? Thanks!

MTXman
12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
on axis is a better option for convertibles in my experiences...

MTXman
12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
well.. actually i've only done two convertibles and they both had kick panels so scratch that.. in the a-pillar would be the best choice.. any way to angle them toward the listener? or is flat-mount the only option in there? other than fiberglassing of course..

Topless Stang
12-12-2009, 02:25 AM
well.. actually i've only done two convertibles and they both had kick panels so scratch that.. in the a-pillar would be the best choice.. any way to angle them toward the listener? or is flat-mount the only option in there? other than fiberglassing of course..

I didn't plan on fabricating anything, so I'm not too sure about glassing. The flush mount option allows for a little flexibility in aiming though. I thought the Hertz mid was designed for off axis play...isn't that what the ****** on the cone is for? The last time I mounted something in the a pillar it was the cdt imaging set...with my regular tweets in fiberglass pods next to the side view mirrors...it wounded ok, but to me it wasn't worth the trouble of having two sets of tweets. The Hertz are supposed to be pretty good, so i didn't want to 'muddy' their sound with the CDT tweets. I just figured using the windshield would keep some more of the sound in the car for my ears...How far up the a pillar would you recommend?

MTXman
12-12-2009, 03:07 AM
not too high.. bringing the tweeters up over the listeners head would lose alot of sound in that convertible.. i'd get as close to ear-height as possible, aimed slightly off of the listeners head..

Topless Stang
12-12-2009, 05:46 AM
not too high.. bringing the tweeters up over the listeners head would lose alot of sound in that convertible.. i'd get as close to ear-height as possible, aimed slightly off of the listeners head..

I see...I was thinking low, maybe even lower than that. I usually see them about 5-6 inches up from the bottom...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/mshanecrowe/mustangs/audio/IMG_1622.jpg