PDA

View Full Version : Help getting dimensions

aebstract
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm going to design a box for a new setup I wanna try. Here are the details on the sub:

* Subwoofer Size : 12"
* Design : Single 4-Ohms
* Power Handling (RMS) : 380 Watts
* Power Handling (MAX) : 1300 Watts
* Power Handling (Combined) MAX : N/A
* Sensitivity : 84+/-2dB
* Frequency Response : 30Hz~1kHz
* Impedance : 4 Ohms
* Mounting Depth : 6-1/2"

Gonna be pushing like 400-500 watts probably and want to do a box that has a L shaped port on it, but I don't know **** about sizes and everything. I've looked around for some information, you can control how deep it is by how the box is made? I would rather have a deeper lower bass as opposed to it being loud.

altoncustomtech
12-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thats all in the tuning and installation of the enclosure... what's your max dimensions you have to work with in the car, that will help, also what size box does the manufacturer recommend for it? a little more info and there's alot we can do to help point you in the right direction....

bubbagumper6
12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Would also help to know the name of the sub...

aebstract
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, I just don't know exactly what information is needed!

Found this,
Sealed box volume: 2.18 cubic feet

I just went and measured what trunk space I would ideally like to use.
I don't know how much room you need on the inside for everything, but I would like it to be about 8-10" tall, 3ft wide, 16-18" deep. I'm hoping the 3ft wide will give me enough room to do everything else in a small space, trying to go as small in height and depth as I can. Basic outside shape to be something kind of like this:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6020/boxhw.jpg
I am gonna model it up in solidworks once I get all of my numbers correct, I just don't know what to do to get those numbers :(

Sub: Sony_XS-L123P5B

aebstract
12-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Okay I think to get the cu ft correct it needs to be a tad bigger, I think it's gonna end up being 36" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep. Again, wanting to port/tune it so that I can get it as deep/low as the sub will go. :cool:

marcotheclepto
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Okay I think to get the cu ft correct it needs to be a tad bigger, I think it's gonna end up being 36" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep. Again, wanting to port/tune it so that I can get it as deep/low as the sub will go. :cool:

keep in mind the sub has to fit... also those dimensions will most likely result in standing waves

aebstract
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Suggestions? I wanted to do something so that I didn't have a huge cube in there. What is the best thing to do with a 12?

marcotheclepto
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Suggestions? I wanted to do something so that I didn't have a huge cube in there. What is the best thing to do with a 12?
subs and port facing rear. keep in mind that all external dimensions yields 1.5 inches less internally. need to be deep enough for sub magnet. and wide enough for sub itself... try to avoid having one dimension 2x or more the length of both other dimensions. ideally a ration of 1.618 : 1 : .618

aebstract
12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Okay, how bout this?
Internal: 29W, 18H, 11D
3.32 cu ft

marcotheclepto
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Okay, how bout this?
Internal: 29W, 18H, 11D
3.32 cu ft

large improvement from before, but do you have any idea as to what tuning you'd like? reading from your explanation above a lower tuning would be to your liking. but those take lotta space for the port...

aebstract
12-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I'll do whatever I need to, to try and get real low and deep bass out of it. I don't know about tuning at all yet, so I can't do much more than tell you that. :crap:

marcotheclepto
12-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I'll do whatever I need to, to try and get real low and deep bass out of it. I don't know about tuning at all yet, so I can't do much more than tell you that. :crap:

well which is more important for you? space or bass? lol send me a PM and ill discuss further im turning in for the night.