PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions good for 3 XXX's?

BuildIturSelf
12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Sup, I am going to start box construction soon for 3 XXX 15"s, but i'm just not sure if I have the space. The dimensions are 53"-L 23"-W 16"-H. I'm not really sure on how to find how many ^2 ft. this is or how much a XXX 15" needs...Looked on there site and they didn't have it either. Could someone tell me how much ^2 ft. a XXX 15 needs in a sealed enclosure? And if these dimensions are enough for three? (I was planning on just two...but if the space permits I want 3)
Thanks!
Late

Gauntlet
12-10-2003, 03:37 PM
The dimensions are on RE's website, look under tech. Off the top of my head, I believe the recommended volume is 2 cuft per sub in a sealed enclosure, and 4 cuft for ported.

Given 3/4 MDF, that box will have a net internal volume of 9.29 cuft. Personally, I'd just get two XXX's and throw them into a ported box.

BuildIturSelf
12-10-2003, 03:45 PM
yea but doesn't a sealed enclosure have titer bass and more sq? I thought with ported you gain some spl and loose sq...So I figured I could get 3 in a sealed and it would make up for the loss in spl and still have good sq. I'm new to all of this so i'm not sure...am i right?

Gauntlet
12-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Eh.......perhaps in theory, yes, but tune your box low and you will still retain very good SQ. I've got my 15" XXX in a 4.32 cuft ported box tuned to 29hz, and it gets da*n loud and sounds great. Three in a sealed box is not only overkill, but rather pointless in my opinion. You'd need a lot of power to make it worth your while, and thus a very big alternator. I think you'd be happier with two ported.

Hell, I'm incredibly happy with 1 ported. ;)

BuildIturSelf
12-10-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm not to sure on how to tune boxes...does it just have to do with how much ^2 ft. the box is? size of the port? or what? I plan on getting involved in some comps over the next spring break... So I want to be able to be pretty competitive. Could you explain what I would have to do to tune the box properly? Or would I just be better off having it professionaly done?
thanx

Gauntlet
12-10-2003, 04:44 PM
If you plan to do any form of SPL competitions, go ported.

As far as plans, PM LoneRanger on the forums, for a small price he'll design everything you need for the box along with graphs (all done with LEAP, a $1200 program). All ya gotta do is cut the pieces and stick 'em together. ;)

marleyskater420
12-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Three in a sealed box is not only overkill, but rather pointless in my opinion. You'd need a lot of power to make it worth your while, and thus a very big alternator. I think you'd be happier with two ported.

Hell, I'm incredibly happy with 1 ported. ;)
I would agree.The amount of money spent on powering the power itself would be too great. You wouldn't get to a loud enough volume to notice a huge difference before your battery would die.

Get a 220amp alt.A autozone gold battery. Get 2 BX1500d's, 2 15XXX's. The amp draw on the bx's are about 80-110 amps usually. Therefore that gives you a lot of current to be used and not alot of current pulled.

Tune your box to around 29hz or even 28hz and you will have one wanging enclosure! In my sig there is Loneranger's website and email, I highly recommend giving him a look.

BuildIturSelf
12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Actually I think i'm already set on the Rockford Fosgate 1501bd amp...I already talked to LoneRanger and I wasn't to impressed with his price compared to my local dealer. But I didn't know he will just give me the dimensions and plans and everything for a small price, i'de rather do that then anything. So you have to have a computer program to get the dimenstions right to tune the box?
thanx

tobz
12-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Just curious, what price did your local dealer quote you? And, what ****** wood does your local dealer use, and what specs would your local dealer go by? Your box WILL make or break that system. If you have two loud *** subs like that in a crappy box, it will sound shittier than my brothers Best buy RF subs. Make SURE you do it right... You'll thank me when you're done...

marleyskater420
12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
I already talked to LoneRanger and I wasn't to impressed with his price compared to my local dealer.

So you have to have a computer program to get the dimenstions right to tune the box?
thanx
If you weren't impressed with LoneRanger's prices as compared to your dealer, then I do not know what to say. I know my local dealers don't use LEAP or have made some of the loudest boxes known. I know my local dealer can't stand on his box with 190lbs of pressure on a big ol box with no braces. There may be a reason as to why people keep going to him for boxes...Maybe build quality? Maybe countless hours desiging the right dimesions?

Computer programs help you design a "better" box to put it easier. They allow you to create boxes with ease and let you know the correct dimensions.

I wouldn't let my local shop build my box unless I was paid excessive amounts of money. :p

jbl_marshall21
12-14-2003, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't let my local shop build my box unless I was paid excessive amounts of money. :p

let em build it, and take the money and buy some mdf to build ur own. :evil: