PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace my stock PG RSD tweets with these VIFA 4 ohm tweets?

av8ter
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Tweeters cry now adays so I am looking for an alternative so my friend can use the comp set in his car. He will be running the comp set with a mb quart do comps will have 100-120rms to play with per side....

Can I just straight up replace the rsd tweeters with these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-1028&ctab=2#Tabs

Thanks!

Kevin

DNick454
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
If they have the same exact impedance, than the included passive crossover will still function at the same frequency as intended for the original pair of tweets.

However...

You can't guarantee these new tweets will sound the same. They could need a different crossover point. They won't sound awful keep in mind, but they may sound different.

Another benefit of going active (however a pain in the *** it is :))

RAM_Designs
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Assuming the Vifa's are a bit more sensitive, I'd say no, unless you want to have the tweeters overpowering the mids. Also, they'd need to have the same DCR(measured resistance) as the ones you're replacing in order for the crossover to function at the same frequency. With the Vifa's, I wouldn't cross them over lower than 3khz.

DNick454
12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Assuming the Vifa's are a bit more sensitive, I'd say no, unless you want to have the tweeters overpowering the mids.

I'm sure there's a way you can back off on the highs by use of parametric equalizer or boost the mid-midbass range to attenuate the highs.

av8ter
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Well ****. Would it hurt to try? They are for my friend but if they dont work out I'll just **** with them whenever I go active now that I have a 9887.......

Kevin

av8ter
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
And only 10 bucks each soooo.......... W/e lawls....

kevin