PDA

View Full Version : 45s

Buck
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
What determines how long/wide the 45s in a sub box are? My box is about 8 cubes after displacements, and it is 14.5" wide internally. I'm getting my box built and I need to know this so I can tell him what size to make them.

PV Audio
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Jesus Christ, what are the dimensions of that 8 cube box if one is 14.5"?

And the width of the 45 only matters when it's in the port.

Buck
12-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Jesus Christ, what are the dimensions of that 8 cube box if one is 14.5"?

And the width of the 45 only matters when it's in the port.

It is. The other dimensions are 56 and 26. So 16 x 26 x 56.

The are rough dimensions right now not exactly like maybe 1 inch on any given dimension

Buck
12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
bump

Supergumby5000
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
are you 12?

think.

if your port is 4" wide, obviously if you were to draw a 45 degree line from the corner of an L-port to the corner of the box, it is going to be bigger than 4". you make the 45 big enough to make the corner of the port 4" as well.

its going to require some 7th grade geometry. good luck ;)

ciaonzo
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Buck, I thought you told me you were a box designer?

bhsdriller
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
lol this dude makes a lot of threads

marcotheclepto
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
hey buck send me a pm i can figure it out for you when i get home from work if youd like.

Buck
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Buck, I thought you told me you were a box designer?

Lol I try, I've just never done 45s before. I know a fair amount of the basics, and I'm still learning.

lol this dude makes a lot of threads

That's how I learn if I can't find the information I need. This is a car audio website :fyi:

Buck
12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
are you 12?

think.

if your port is 4" wide, obviously if you were to draw a 45 degree line from the corner of an L-port to the corner of the box, it is going to be bigger than 4". you make the 45 big enough to make the corner of the port 4" as well.

I don't think you understand what I am asking, so don't be a ****. I'm talking about the smaller piece of mdf in which the sides are cut at a 45 degree angle. Then they are place in the corner(s) of a port. Then wood glue is used to stick that piece of wood to the corner, creating a better flowing surface for the air traveling in the box.

ciaonzo
12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think you understand what I am asking, so don't be a ****. I'm talking about the smaller piece of mdf in which the sides are cut at a 45 degree angle. Then they are place in the corner(s) of a port. Then wood glue is used to stick that piece of wood to the corner, creating a better flowing surface for the air traveling in the box.

He understood, and he pretty much told you exactly what to do.

Edit* None of my business. Good luck.

Buck
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
He understood, and he pretty much told you exactly what to do.

Do you design enclosures for others?

:banghead:

My bad, I didn't understand what he was saying, but now I believe that the 45 must be as wide as the port. That's all I was asking.

Yes I do design boxes, but I didn't know how to do a 45. If you're going to say I **** at it, just keep in mind that I'm fairly new to box designing and still learning. I've been paid several times to design boxes for people.

Buck
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
are you 12?

think.

Ok I understand what your saying. I didn't know the 45 was the same as the width of the port. I know how to calculate that ;). Honors Geometry 9th grade.

Buck
12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Eh, so if the "hypotenuse" side of the 45 is my 9.5 inches wide, it takes up a total of 1.7 cubic feet. F that.

domllama
12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
That's how I learn if I can't find the information I need. This is a car audio website :fyi:[/QUOTE]

Some people look past this quite frequently - I think that's why we're all here..to share ideas and gain more knowledge in the areas that we lack. If one didn't ask questions and test builds in different scenarios - one will never learn. .02

PV Audio
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok I understand what your saying. I didn't know the 45 was the same as the width of the port. I know how to calculate that ;). Honors Geometry 9th grade.It's not, nor can it be. The 45 is placed so that the port width is equal throughout. That means that if you have a 3" wide port, the wide edge of your piece is 2.5" while the narrow edge is 1", assuming .75" MDF.

Buck
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
It's not, nor can it be. The 45 is placed so that the port width is equal throughout. That means that if you have a 3" wide port, the wide edge of your piece is 2.5" while the narrow edge is 1", assuming .75" MDF.

:crap:

I'm not following. It's been a long as day. Let's make it like this for my sanity's sake: My port is 9 x 14. It will have to be 14 inches by X amount of inches. 14 is the internal depth of my box.

PV Audio
12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Um, that's not possible unless I am completely misunderstanding the dimensions. It's 14 deep and 9 wide, right? Well, you can't possibly need a 45 unless you're porting the entire width of the box. That's the only way it will work as a port where you'd need a 45 is if you ported out the side. Is that what you're doing?

Buck
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
45s like on my pwk box in the ports:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/jtbuck92/mybox.jpg

The port is running all the way across on side of the box.

James Bang
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/mybox.jpg

PV Audio
12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
45s like on my pwk box in the ports:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/jtbuck92/mybox.jpg

The port is running all the way across on side of the box.
Okay, you're really going to have to draw what you're talking about, because there are extremely few ways that you can fit a 9" wide port in a box that is only 14" deep.

PV Audio
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
And Buck, if I can be honest, if you cannot figure this out on your own, you really don't have any business charging people money to design enclosures for them. This is a very simple concept in enclosure design, and if you're struggling with it, I suggest that you spend more time learning instead of making money. If you don't like that, then fine, but it's just my opinion. :)

James Bang
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
And Buck, if I can be honest, if you cannot figure this out on your own, you really don't have any business charging people money to design enclosures for them. This is a very simple concept in enclosure design, and if you're struggling with it, I suggest that you spend more time learning instead of making money. If you don't like that, then fine, but it's just my opinion. :)

i want a refund.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/untitled-1.jpg

Buck
12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Okay, you're really going to have to draw what you're talking about, because there are extremely few ways that you can fit a 9" wide port in a box that is only 14" deep.

We aren't talking about the same thing. Here I have a pic. Lol it's going to be a forhead to hand experience I believe. I've made loud enclosures before, just not with the 45s I'm talking about.

I'm talking about putting a small piece of mdf in the lower left hand corner to direct air out of the port:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/jtbuck92/boxbottom.png

ARSkemp
12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
So on the pwk box you posted, James Bang drew a question mark. Is that the measurement your looking for?

Buck
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
So on the pwk box you posted, James Bang drew a question mark. Is that the measurement your looking for?

Yes. ****, I finally get what yall are trying to say. The 45 has to be that distance (of the width) from the corner of the port.

marcotheclepto
12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
haha, you get this figured out or still need some help?

ciaonzo
12-03-2009, 03:58 AM
:banghead:

My bad, I didn't understand what he was saying, but now I believe that the 45 must be as wide as the port. That's all I was asking.

Yes I do design boxes, but I didn't know how to do a 45. If you're going to say I **** at it, just keep in mind that I'm fairly new to box designing and still learning. I've been paid several times to design boxes for people.

No, I wasn't going to try and put you down or anything. I just thought I remembered you telling me at one point that you were a designer so your question gave me pause. Anyhow, it's not my concern if you charge to design for anyone, my apologies for asking.

Blue Fury
12-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Using this kind of trig is very easy. But for the lazy people, you can multiply the port width by 0.8284 to get the longest length of the 45* corner. Obviously this is when the bend is at a 90* angle, but I hope you put that together already...

i want a refund.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/untitled-1.jpg

lol

Buck
12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I've got it, lol. Thanks for the help. No offense take cianzo :). It's straight.