PDA

View Full Version : Focal Not Good for Hip-Hop/R&B

Bassically85
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I went to a shop today that had focals and the guy said he wouldn't reccomend me focals because they aren't strong in the midbass section and would sound bad for rap and r&b. What do you guys think?

Btw, he reccomended me the high end memphis compents....

Fraze
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
what shop did you go to?

Bassically85
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Gwinette sound

Bassically85
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Gwinette sound

legendndisguise
12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
A buddy of mine had the original K2's and they sounded great for rap/hip hop and R&B. Most of the time it comes down to the install.

Horsemanwill
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
was the memphis more money? maybe he had to move merchandise

Beerdrnkr
12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
A buddy of mine had the original K2's and they sounded great for rap/hip hop and R&B. Most of the time it comes down to the install.

The K2's have awesome midbass.

hatemonger
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
do not let that shop do anything to your car.

jamesw
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
thats how shops get rid of products they don't want anymore..

hatemonger
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
thats how shops get rid of products they don't want anymore..

they get rid of them by not selling it to people?:confused:

dragnix
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
i didn't know hip hop has lots of midbass in them

Bassically85
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
It was about $25 more..................... it was the new set that memphis came out with. The woofers look like the mojo.

I was personally kinda offened because it was almost as if I was being singled out because I was a young black dude......I told the guy I listen to everything, but he insited on the memphis set......if they're good then that's great, but I just don't wanna buy something and be unhappy.....

Bassically85
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
It was about $25 more..................... it was the new set that memphis came out with. The woofers look like the mojo.

I was personally kinda offened because it was almost as if I was being singled out because I was a young black dude......I told the guy I listen to everything, but he insited on the memphis set......if they're good then that's great, but I just don't wanna buy something and be unhappy.....

dragnix
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
insist that you want to talk to someone who'll let you demo the **** b4 you buy

AVRevolution
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Listen for yourself. It is true, there are some speakers that I would not suggest to some people that listen to music, any kind, in a certain type of way. For example I am a huge fan of DLS, but if your intentions are to be heard coming down the block, then they are not the speakers for you. On the other hand if your looking for fantastic sound that is to be enjoyed by you inside the car, then they would be awesome, with any kind of music. What did you tell him you were looking for? The Memphis comps are awesome for the money, but the focals are awesome too. Not every speaker is for everybody.

Bassically85
12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
to be honest, I think he profiled me because I'm young and black! Lol

I told him I was looking for some good speakers and he suggested kicker, then I said I'm looking for a more sq set, he suggested the high end kicker.....then I asked about the focals and he suggested the memphis and said that is would handle the synth bass of rb/hip hop better..... I told him I'm not looking to share my system with the whole world and that I listen to everything......he said the focals are good, but they are more like "enhanced factory speakers" they're only good for moderate listening volumes and would be horrilbe if I wanted to crank em... plus the tweeter on them are very mellow......

Unfortunately they didn't have any set up so I could listen to em.....but regaurdless of what he said I think imma still buy from there because of the prices...but what do you think about the focals?

Ive comapred the access to the jl and they defiently don't have the midbass like the jl, but I believe there focals where the polyglass line....it had the "needle cone" in the center of the driver...

headless
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Focal tweeters are not 'very mellow' and a decent set of focals gets sick crazy loud. Dude is a douchebag, go to another shop.

AVRevolution
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I personally like Focal. But there are people that think Bose sounds great too. To each their own. do you plan on running an amp? It sound like you already have your mind made up.

Frijoles24
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I personally like Focal. But there are people that think Bose sounds great too. To each their own. do you plan on running an amp? It sound like you already have your mind made up.

yea. im a fan of focal too (not so much the tweets that i had.. too sharp)

bose is over rated and has a "one ear = perfection" sound. there is no control of the sound. what bose thinks is good.. is good for everybody.

Bassically85
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes I will be running an amp. I really don't have my mind made up.... its alotta good stuff out there and the choices can be quite overwhelming.

Upgrayedd
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
depending on price range, The Kicker QS are worth a listen, but dude seems to have made a terribly inaccurate blanket statement about focal.

Bassically85
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
depending on price range, The Kicker QS are worth a listen, but dude seems to have made a terribly inaccurate blanket statement about focal.

I think the Sq were about $290... I think

groundpound4200
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
My focals get beat on every day with rap and have been for years :confused:

MBrock4u
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Can't imagine why he would make a statment like that about Focal..? For my taste, I like Image Dynamics, but Focal is some good stuff. Gave a good listen to them a while back with some volume. Tweets were a bit much for me, but still sounded great. Many people on here will tell you that they are outstanding, but it is a personal prefrence. They are nice, so don't let that sales guy discourage you. Give alot of comps a listen if you can and make the best choice for your own personal taste.