PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on trying Fiberglassing, need some help

BiaBia
12-09-2003, 01:30 AM
I'm a complete newb when it comes to fiberglassing, but I was thinking about fiberglassing my 15'' HC sub. Few problems though.

1) No car yet, but I'm getting a 5th generation Civic Hatch (92-95 model).
2) Huge fiberglass area needed (have a 4.5 cubed box, not going smaller only larger ;))
3) Want it to stay ported.

I've come up with this. It can stay ported easily, just keep it in its box.

I was thinking of the build like this. Get my layer of resin started, and have my box on a base support (so I don't have to change the box design). Then just fiberglass over it, to the edge of my back seats, then straight down behind them.

Please excuse my ****** paint -

http://chrisg.serveftp.com/upload/uploaded/hardforums/fibersub2.bmp

Any ideas?

morris85
12-09-2003, 01:47 AM
That will work fine for giving it a snug fitting and custom look.

If laying the glass straight from box to the sides isn't fancy enough..

Perhaps shape poster board out to the areas where you will be doing the glass out from the box. Could pull off some wicked looking design with the poster board curved and twisted up in certain ways.

Also could build you a frame out of some little thin wood (dowels perhaps) and stretch some nylon into the frame, then glass, to give it a different, poured look. This way you can also do the actual glass laying outside of your vehicle for the most part, and keep the horrid fumes from filling your car.

Dunno if you plan on actually glassing over the top of the box and continuing it into the sides or not..but I wouldn't. Using one of the ideas above, I'd just make two seperate "shoulders" or whatever to wedge the box in between, because should you have to pull unit out, it would be a pain with it all one piece.

btw, is this a CRX? They can make crazy loud vehicles. I used to toy with sound in my 88.

BiaBia
12-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Civic Hatch, 92-95, haven't gotten it yet.

I would probably lay a frame over the box, and fiberglass it like that, make it look like its in a huge fiberglass enclosure.

Would also like to put like two 12s on the sides of that 15 or something just to be ridiculous ;)

morris85
12-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Ah..you said 92-95, I think they ended the CRX version in 94 anyways. Oh well, honda can make some good little cars. A normal civic hatch is still gonna thump, I'm a huge fan of hatches when it comes to sound installs.

As for doing two 12s with the 15, I'm not sure how hot I would be on that idea personally. But make it for you. I'm sure if everything was properly set in a crossover, with no overlapping between the two sizes, things could really turn out well. Would look wicked. Could always just do 3 15's. :D

Face the left and right ones towards the center. Or do a lying down pyramid with all three upfiring, and possibly ported to the rear.

I am interested in seeing the results already.

BiaBia
12-09-2003, 02:48 AM
I might just upgrade my sub, which would be more practicle. Up to a 15'' XXX, that would get wickedly loud, then finally up to an MT or something.

I wouldn't be a fan of the 15 and the two 12s, just was a quick idea. I'm probably just gonna keep it with the one 15 anyways.

BDIDDY
12-09-2003, 10:55 AM
As for sub sizes, don't mix them. They cancel sound waves and are'nt as loud if I remember correctly. If I was you I would make some rings for the sub to pull it up about 1.5 or 3 inches then do the some for the port. Stretch old shirts or something of the like over it and the sub and port will be raised. This will throw the port off but not much. Just my idea. Get some pics of you doing it.....