PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions on the direction I should go

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 02:59 PM
First of all this is my first post, so.. Hello. I have several questions in the direction I should go with the car audio in my new Tacoma-which ***** as standard.

What i'm looking for is just something better, thats not so flat. I'll probably upgrade the head unit in the future to a dvd unit. For now, I'm just exploring my options.

CAn I just upgrade the door locations with maybe some nice coax's or components in the front, and maybe some sort of 6 x 9 woofer/subwoofer in the rear doors??? If I don 't have to add a sub that would be cool.

Components or Coax's?

Back when I last knew car audio the in thing was Orion HCCA, Autotek 7050 BTS (which I owned and loved), mb Quart, and JL subs. Is technology moved far ahead now that I can get mb quart quality (speakers) from 1995 for under $200 in 2009/2010?

Any suggestions and info is greatly appreciated. And I don't want to spend too much as I'm saving for a new Aprilia rsv4. Maybe all four doors for less than $300-$400 if it is possible.

Horsemanwill
11-29-2009, 04:23 PM
man i had like 4 of those BTS amps including a couple of xx amps :D. putting a 6x9 woofer/subwoofer wouldn't be a good idea i don't think you'll like the "output" of them. i have a friend who has a taco and he replaced his front with some 6.5 comps and powered them off a sundown amp. have u visited any taco forums yet?

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
hmm.... So would coaxials (5x8 or 6x9) suffice or should I go with components? And will either be fine just powered of the stock head unit for a while??? Andl... Is $100-$150 a set going to be a big improvement over stock?

Thanks again.

And yes, i have been to a couple of the Taco forums.

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
ok, i'm leaning towards Image Dynamics CTX65cs for my front speakers. Question though... Will they be an improvement even if they are not amped?

Anyone with experience with the ctx69?

I'll probably add a amp later though..

atsaubrey
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
first of all, your system wont be "complete" without a subwoofer. I am the one Horsemanwill is talking about. First of all, the head unit really really ***** in the Taco. Replace it. 2nd, the speakers in the Taco really really really ****. So with that said, lets concentrate on a head to start. Lets talk about budget, I think I can help you along alot with a budget you have in mind. I am not one that usually starts with the "budget" because a budget in sound quality means no limit :D

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the input atsaubrey. So I should start my upgrade with the headunit, then speakers/amps?

As far as budget, for the head unit i'd like to keep it under $1,000 and i'd prefer a double din unit. But I want to keep my steering wheel controls, ipod hookup, and back up camera (displayed through mirror). IS this possible for under a grand? And also will the power from the new HU be enough to power the new components until I amp them.

I'd like to do the upgrade in stages...

Thanks.

atsaubrey
11-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I would assume your backup camera/mirror is aftermarket?

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
the back up camera in the mirror is oem.

56cbr600rr
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
KEnwood dnx5140... decent?