PDA

View Full Version : Big sealed or port the bish?

t1990le
11-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a 5cu ft box sealed at the moment that my 2 alphas are in. I was wondering what would be better, stay the way it is now or use front firing areos in the middle of the box. The subs already play almost as low as they did before the box's slot port was sealed. Long story short the slot was too close to my wall, it messed up my first subs so I sealed it up and have been running my reconed alphas sealed since. I want lower bass so I was thinking to use areos to tune the box near 35ish Hz.

Johnny Law.Lulz
11-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Aeros firing up works better in trucks i believe. Thats how mine will be.

plugitin
11-28-2009, 03:20 PM
port....i love 32hz

t1990le
11-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Aeros firing up works better in trucks i believe. Thats how mine will be.

o ok i have an amp rack at the moment but i can pull it out and mount my amp elsewhere if port up will give me a better advantage. My subs are floor facing.

port....i love 32hz

ok 35 is too high?

plugitin
11-28-2009, 03:28 PM
o ok i have an amp rack at the moment but i can pull it out and mount my amp elsewhere if port up will give me a better advantage. My subs are floor facing.

ok 35 is too high?

i would really try them facing up or forward...if you can

No, its really all personal preference...i like moving a lot of air :D

t1990le
11-28-2009, 03:30 PM
i would really try them facing up or forward...if you can

No, its really all personal preference...i like moving a lot of air :D

lol i like moving a lot of air too lol u mean try doing the subs up or forward?

plugitin
11-28-2009, 03:32 PM
lol i like moving a lot of air too lol u mean try doing the subs up or forward?

yes...sub and port firing up

t1990le
11-28-2009, 04:03 PM
yes...sub and port firing up

well with the current box that i have i cant really do anything lol with my reg cab truck, i dont have enough space to do subs up. Would subs down port up be ok? or would subs down port forward be better? thanx! :)

t1990le
11-28-2009, 05:13 PM
after talking to the lacal shop, they told me that i would have more volume with the port forward bc it would allow the sound to be channeled forward to the windshield and back to the driver and passenger. Just wondering if this would be the best choice. it makes sence to me :)

PV Audio
11-28-2009, 05:22 PM
after talking to the lacal shop, they told me that i would have more volume with the port forward bc it would allow the sound to be channeled forward to the windshield and back to the driver and passenger. Just wondering if this would be the best choice. it makes sence to me :)No, that's just them speculating on how sound works. If you're going for a SPL setup, then that might be a good choice although I don't recommend it since the subwoofer isn't going to be exciting anything but the carpet. As plugitin in said, sub up, port up or sub forward, port up in a pickup is what I have also found to be pretty decent.

hatemonger
11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
after talking to the lacal shop, they told me that i would have more volume with the port forward bc it would allow the sound to be channeled forward to the windshield and back to the driver and passenger. Just wondering if this would be the best choice. it makes sence to me :)

forward is fine. not sure about the local shop's scientific analysis, but i like forward in my s10, unless the box comes above the window line, then firing up seems best. that's just my ears, with no technical science applied at all.

edit: downfiring also worked fine, but you lose some room to work with by having to space it off the floor.

t1990le
11-28-2009, 05:44 PM
forward is fine. not sure about the local shop's scientific analysis, but i like forward in my s10, unless the box comes above the window line, then firing up seems best. that's just my ears, with no technical science applied at all.

edit: downfiring also worked fine, but you lose some room to work with by having to space it off the floor.

yea, i thinkill just port them forward. Ill let my ears be the judge lol.

hatemonger
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
yea, i thinkill just port them forward. Ill let my ears be the judge lol.

should work fine. not that the other posts were wrong. i did a type R pointed up, and it sounded fine, but my daughter dropped toys/homework/etc. down the port, forcing me to point forward, and i couldn't tell a difference really. at least by ear. competing is a different world. a sub with bad mechanical noise could be a disadvantage with port forward. in that case, i'd downfire.

t1990le
11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
should work fine. not that the other posts were wrong. i did a type R pointed up, and it sounded fine, but my daughter dropped toys/homework/etc. down the port, forcing me to point forward, and i couldn't tell a difference really. at least by ear. competing is a different world. a sub with bad mechanical noise could be a disadvantage with port forward. in that case, i'd downfire.

yea, im not in comps. never have been so i dont think that should be a problem. lol