PDA

View Full Version : Sub box direction?

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a design already for a down firing box, but anyways. I have a 06 chevy silverado ext cab and 4 ia 187 12"s what direction is best for sound quality, I'm not looking to put up any numbers just clean bass. what is the best sub and port direction?

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
You have four 12" subs and your looking for SQ over SPL? Seems like overkill on the low end for SQ.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 02:58 PM
You have four 12" subs and your looking for SQ over SPL? Seems like overkill on the low end for SQ.

Yeah, I have two downfiring under my backseat, and I went to my local shop yesterday and the had the ia 187 12"s buy one get one half off so I bought two more lol.

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
you bought two more because they were on sale, or because you felt like you needed more low end in your system?

TMali
11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
well the port needs to breath, so is forward your only option on that part?

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
you bought two more because they were on sale, or because you felt like you needed more low end in your system?

Both kinda, but i had already planed on using four of them and two elemental designs nine.1 amps, so I got them and I am the kind of person to overkill things, I am in the process right now of putting a r6 street bike motor on my yfz450 fourwheeler lol

t1990le
11-28-2009, 03:12 PM

definately DONT do side firing if its real close to the wall. It messed up my sonaces :/ but i have alphas now bc of it :) so were good. I vote take the back seat out and do a 8cu ft box tuned @ 30hz subs up port up :)

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 03:13 PM

He hasn't said anything about a ported enclosure, or about it firing forward.
His enclosure right now is downfiring, since you haven't given much info I'll assume that right now your still planning to use the rear seats and that the downfiring box is sealed and under the seat.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Well no crap? That's why my down firing design the port is 7" off the floor and it can face forward and up also?

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Both kinda, but i had already planed on using four of them and two elemental designs nine.1 amps, so I got them and I am the kind of person to overkill things,

I'm more SPL than SQ, but I would think that with a real SQ system you wouldn't want too much on the low end. You want just enough of the low end to keep everything sounding really nice and not overpowering the mids and highs.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh my bad and the box is ported under the seat and I plan on taking the back seat out and using a ported box for the four of them.

plugitin
11-28-2009, 03:19 PM
if your using 4 of em, SQ is not your goal...

suns up and port up

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
In that case you'd want to go ported. Tune it low, around 30-32 Hz and port facing the roof.

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 03:22 PM

subs up and port up

that was pretty much my point from the beginning. The SQ systems I've seen have one sub, maybe two at the most.

plugitin
11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
that was pretty much my point from the beginning. The SQ systems I've seen have one sub, maybe two at the most.

guy around here has 3 15's in his trunk for his SQ setup. Sounds amazing...but he knows what hes doing and has a lot of money in his ride.

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
I suppose if you have the right style enclosure you could pull it off, but it's nothing that just anyone could build.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM

suns up and port up

Why can't I have four subs and not have them play good clean bass and good sound quality.

plugitin
11-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Why can't I have four subs and not have them play good clean bass and good sound quality.

im not saying its not going to sound good...but have you ever even heard a sq system? Probably not...

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I suppose if you have the right style enclosure you could pull it off, but it's nothing that just anyone could build.

Well who could help me then, if not just anyone can pull it off?

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 04:39 PM
im not saying its not going to sound good...but have you ever even heard a sq system? Probably not...

Not like a comp sq ssystem no, but I am just saying I want my subs to sound good, I am not looking to enter it in any comp, this is a daily driver.

SSS 18734
11-28-2009, 04:46 PM
The addition of more drivers or power will never adversely affect sound quality unless the setup becomes so big that it forces poor placement. Less excursion is never a bad thing.

Stop busting his nuts for using the term sound quality. Everyone knows exactly what he means.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
The addition of more drivers or power will never adversely affect sound quality unless the setup becomes so big that it forces poor placement. Less excursion is never a bad thing.

Stop busting his nuts for using the term sound quality. Everyone knows exactly what he means.

Thanks man, everyone on here seems to be competion driven, and I am just wanting a simple answer to a simple question, what direction should I face my subs an ports, for a good sounding system in my truck, or should I stay with my down firing setup that I have already designed?

plugitin
11-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks man, everyone on here seems to be competion driven, and I am just wanting a simple answer to a simple question, what direction should I face my subs an ports, for a good sounding system in my truck, or should I stay with my down firing setup that I have already designed?

subs forward and port up, or subs and port up. You stereo will still sound good man, trust me.

SSS 18734
11-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Realistically, the only way you will fit four twelves would be to fire the subs forward and the port up. You could possibly do subs up, port up if you used aeroports. I've found that up-firing vs forward-firing has made little to no audible difference in my truck.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 04:59 PM

here is a link to what I have come up with

http://zierbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=155&sid=a39cf737a710b6fe4103c6657026b276

SSS 18734
11-28-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't see why that design wouldn't work. If you're not looking for numbers, there are very few firing directions that won't slam. Down-firing enclosures tend to muffle mechanical and port noise, which is always a plus (but not always a problem). But with that design, you're going to need 60" total width. I don't know about your truck, but my f-150 is about 48" wide from door to door.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't see why that design wouldn't work. If you're not looking for numbers, there are very few firing directions that won't slam. Down-firing enclosures tend to muffle mechanical and port noise, which is always a plus (but not always a problem). But with that design, you're going to need 60" total width. I don't know about your truck, but my f-150 is about 48" wide from door to door.

Why 60?

SSS 18734
11-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Why 60?

here is what i have so far.
it is designed so that i have seperate enclosure for each sub. so each enclosure is 15 1/16" wide with a 25" depth and the height of the back is 19"

You say that you're making four separate enclosures lined up side by side. If each one is 15" wide, your box will be about 60" wide. How do you expect that design to fit in your truck?

Maybe I misunderstood?

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
You say that you're making four separate enclosures lined up side by side. If each one is 15" wide, your box will be about 60" wide. How do you expect that design to fit in your truck?

Maybe I misunderstood?

Yeah you are right, and I came up with 58" and I just didn't know if there was something I missed of you you knew something I didn't. Lol

but anyways I have it tuned to 35 and 30 sq inches of port for each sub, would you change anything?

spltuscon
11-28-2009, 06:10 PM
If you're not going for numbers and you want good SQ, why not do sealed? 4 decent 12's sealed still gets plenty loud for daily driving and is easier to build and blend with your mids and highs. Most people seem to think ported is the answer to everything, but sealed still has its place.
If you really want to port it then I would do subs forward and port up, tuned to 30-32 or so.
You can have great SQ and multiple subs too, its all in the box and setup.

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
If you're not going for numbers and you want good SQ, why not do sealed? 4 decent 12's sealed still gets plenty loud for daily driving and is easier to build and blend with your mids and highs. Most people seem to think ported is the answer to everything, but sealed still has its place.
If you really want to port it then I would do subs forward and port up, tuned to 30-32 or so.
You can have great SQ and multiple subs too, its all in the box and setup.

Well like I said I have for incriminator audio 187 series, I was thinking ported because I love low bass, but I listen to alot of kinds of music, do you think sealed will get low? Or should I go ported with some strong mids, to pick up the higher bass?

SPL Blazer
11-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd say a good set of Mid Bass and Midranges along with the highs. You could go ported, porting low will be good for an SQ type set up and will really make the lows sound great, but won't be punchy with metal music or anything with good bass drum kicks. A higher tuning or a sealed set up would be good for that.

DSGBazemore
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
id like to see some pics of that yzf450 when you get done.. been wanting to do that for a while on a trx450r..

dvldogyut
11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd say a good set of Mid Bass and Midranges along with the highs. You could go ported, porting low will be good for an SQ type set up and will really make the lows sound great, but won't be punchy with metal music or anything with good bass drum kicks. A higher tuning or a sealed set up would be good for that.

So ported for the lows, and a good set of mids would make up for the hifgher bass? Would metal sound good if I had a set of good mids.

t1990le
11-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Really? My reg cab f-150 is 58.5" wide.

lol. :D

Dont quote me exactly, but i believe mine is 58.5 long x 13 bottom x 6 tp x 20 talll.

Fixed :D

"Dont quote me exactly, but i believe mine is 58.5 long x 15.5 bottom x 8.5 tp x 14.5(without the feet)talll."

SSS 18734
11-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Really? My reg cab f-150 is 58.5" wide.

No, not really. I lied. I just went out and measured and it's also about 58" - my memory failed me!

t1990le
11-28-2009, 09:13 PM
No, not really. I lied. I just went out and measured and it's also about 58" - my memory failed me!

lol ok i was like uh... lol

skmfkr
11-28-2009, 09:29 PM
definately DONT do side firing if its real close to the wall. It messed up my sonaces :/ but i have alphas now bc of it :) so were good. I vote take the back seat out and do a 8cu ft box tuned @ 30hz subs up port up :)

i vote the same lol

spltuscon
11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Sealed box still gets low provided its adequate volume for the subs. Won't be as strong as a low tuned ported box would but would typically be smoother and better on the upper end.