PDA

View Full Version : Crackling speakers

antidamage
11-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi there

I'm having some trouble with my speakers crackling and I'm trying to isolate what's causing it.

Initially I installed an 50w x 4 headunit with factory 300watt speakers and presumably blew the coils in all of them, as they would crackle badly when turned up to a reasonable level after that.

I replaced the rear 6x9's with some el-cheapo 400-watt speakers. The tweeter is integrated but it uses an external passive crossover. The crossover box is connected directly to the head unit.

These speakers ALSO crackle at about the same frequencies, although not as soon when turning up the volume. I haven't pushed them at all, so they shouldn't be damaged.

What could be the culprit here? Too little juice, too much?

I'm also running a sub and an amp, which is having no problems at all. if I filtered out the low range frequencies for the el-cheapo speakers, would that possibly fix my problems?

Here's the details:
Performance Teknique 800W 6x9" 5-way Coaxial SPEAKERS + HIGH & MID pass filter Crossover - Model ICBM-1078
JVC KDG-335 Head Deck

djjdnap
11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
what size are the speakers?

get some round speakers like 6.5's and u should be good

6x9, 5x7 @ high volume will crackle

antidamage
11-25-2009, 05:38 PM
what size are the speakers?

get some round speakers like 6.5's and u should be good

6x9, 5x7 @ high volume will crackle

Ah, really? The holes for them are designed to take 6x9's, but I guess they'll still fit or I can add holes.

This isn't really 'high volume' when they start crackling, either. I'd call it more mid-range.