PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Mounting (options)

jdmferio13
11-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Just wondering where some of you mount your tweeters when you dont have factory spots.Ive seen some moun them a little in front of the door handles and some mount them on the kicks and a pillars.My car doesnt have factory slots so which will sound better for me.

x1le
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Mock up your tweeters and see which sounds the best to you.

James Bang
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Just wondering where some of you mount your tweeters when you dont have factory spots.Ive seen some moun them a little in front of the door handles and some mount them on the kicks and a pillars.My car doesnt have factory slots so which will sound better for me.

ask yourself

eharri3
11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
First thing Id experiment with would be somewhere higher on the door rather than on a sail panel or windshield pillar, closer to the mids than those higher locations will allow but not so low that the highs are coming from around your ankles. I am not a huge fan of kick panels, but then I drive a half ton pickup with a very upright seating position. I might be inclined to try mids and tweeters in kicks if I were in a vehicle with a more low slung seating position. Depending on what you drive kicks may work better for you. My tweaters are currently in the sail panels of my 09 Tundra and I will be experimenting with positions right around the door handle to see how they sound closer to the woofer.

For more coherent imaging the closer the tweeter is to the woofer, the better. The further away it is from the woofer, the more you may have to tweak the EQ because the higher frequencies from the tweeter will be more likely to reach your ears before mid range sounds. Ive never been good with jargon like beaming and phasing but to put it simply, spacing the two too far apart can cause certain sounds that transition from woofer frequencies to tweeter frequencies to become less stable in your soundstage. I hear it often in female vocals, where as the singer raises the pitch of her voice her location will shift on the soundstage as it rises and the shift from the mids to the tweeters becomes audible. In my opinion if you want to have some critical listening sessions female vocals with a good frequency range would be a big help. Id stop when you find a setup where her voice stays in the same place as it changes pitch.

Just general things to think about, but you really have to look at where your woofer is, what spaces you have to work with, and the acoustics of your vehicle.

jdmferio13
11-26-2009, 10:10 PM
well my mids will be in the bottom of the door so i might just mount a tweeter in the door and one on the inside of the mirror in the car.The stock 2dr coupe civic has slots for tweeters there so i imagine i could find some,

Louisiana_CRX
11-26-2009, 10:16 PM
the A pillar is a good start :)

eharri3
11-27-2009, 10:53 AM
well my mids will be in the bottom of the door so i might just mount a tweeter in the door and one on the inside of the mirror in the car.The stock 2dr coupe civic has slots for tweeters there so i imagine i could find some,

It's been done, a lower tweet near the woofer to keep things coherent then a higher detuned tweet to pull the soundstage higher.