PDA

View Full Version : NEW box help!! 4th order and Ported

mendon mafia
11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
looking to build a new box for my alphas since the ones i have now dont sound good.

right now i have 2 of these in my trunk. firing forward
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz297/Mendonmafia/101_0605.jpg
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz297/Mendonmafia/101_0608.jpg

I want a design for a 4th order and a vented box. Not sure which will perform best but i need good response from low-70hz.

max dimensions are 37wide x 14 tall x 32 deep

The box is going to be a forward firing design in the case of ported. Slot port is preferred. 4th order will have the port firing into cabin.

Help me out. i dont have a calculator for 4th orders and Ive heard the online calcs **** for ported.

Im going for sql. tuning for ported around 35hz not sure for 4th order since i have no experience. i have an atomic 3k at 0.5 ohm so about 3.5kw of power. currently the subs eat the power im giving them in the boxes i have.

mmouse57
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
calc suckx for what type of ported boxes? reg ported like oyu had? ported obxe slike oyu had before tuned right cant be beat for sq and spl really.

who designed oyu older boxes? or are those build ot manuf spec?

Twisted_0912
11-22-2009, 08:18 PM
calc suckx for what type of ported boxes? reg ported like oyu had? ported obxe slike oyu had before tuned right cant be beat for sq and spl really.

i dont think you were typing fast enough :laugh:

mendon mafia
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM

lol slowwww down.

from what i think you said, the calcs **** for all ported boxes, at least ive heard this from a bunch of ppl on here. Im assuming ur talking the difference between slot vs aero port?

the boxes i have now were designed and built by me. they were designed for sql but dont have enough sq in the upper frequency range. they are very peaky in the upper frequencies and the subs distort terribly and get smelly above about 60hz or so.

i think the coil is rubbing in the gap at higher frequencies or somthing (dont move far enough to be bottoming out),

they seem to be very sensitive to power at higher frequencies (certain songs with low and high bass notes i can literally crank the volume on the low notes (even below tuning) and be fine but the high notes i gotta turn it down cuz the subs make weird noises) the low frequency range is good, sounds clean and can take all the power in the world.

mendon mafia
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
can anyone help me out. Scrap the 4th order ill never be able to make it fit.