PDA

View Full Version : Someone broke into my car and I have an alarm... Please help with suggestions!!!

stikystikyricky
11-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Last week I got an audiovox full alarm with remote start and 2-way pager. APS-920a. I added on a back up battery. Last night I was inside a restaurant eating and my 2008 tundra was parked right outside the front door. Come outside and my effing window is smashed, my cell phone is gone, radar detector gone, glass everywhere, scratches on my dash from the glass, and a huge scratch in my door. And what pisses me off is that my effing alarm didnt go off!!! They just broke the window, reached in and grabbed my stuff and left...

Should I add on a glass break sensor?? 506t I believe it is.. I have tinted windows, 5% all the way around. From what the installers told me, there is no point getting it with tinted windows because it doesnt work as well. the tint holds the glass together like a big piece of tape?

Next option instead of glass sensor I was thinking would be a proximity sensor. However installers told me with my tint once again the proximity sensor would almost be useless...

How can I fix this problem?? I just paid $500 to repair and re-tint my window. Lost my ipod and a bunch of stuff.. Last thing I want is this to happen again. Specially when I can prevent it because Im 50 feet away. :verymad: FML!!

jeeper07
11-22-2009, 12:49 AM
make sure the installers dont have a new ipod and cell phone... happens a lot more often then you would think. When ever i take my car somewhere to be worked on i make sure there is no paper work in it that gives any idea of where i may live. however on my truck with my alarm if somone touches the door with anything more then a tap my alarm goes off.

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
make sure the installers dont have a new ipod and cell phone... happens a lot more often then you would think. When ever i take my car somewhere to be worked on i make sure there is no paper work in it that gives any idea of where i may live. however on my truck with my alarm if somone touches the door with anything more then a tap my alarm goes off.

I used to get so annoyed hearing this when I was an installer. I and other installers were accused of this so many times it was not even funny. I never knew an installer that pulled this stuff and I certainly never did. When you have your **** loud in public or have valuables in plain site yo increase your likelihood of a break-in. Window tint actually attracts more thieves than it deters. I'm not saying that no installer has stolen or had it done but it seems an instant accusation after a break-in.

cf2004
11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
make sure the installers dont have a new ipod and cell phone... happens a lot more often then you would think. When ever i take my car somewhere to be worked on i make sure there is no paper work in it that gives any idea of where i may live.

It sounds paranoid but it has happened.

The installer didnt really lie about the tint acting as a tape. Tinted windows when broke will act as a "tape" and hold everything together. Although, I would think a proximity sensor of some type would work just fine!?!?

jeeper07
11-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I used to get so annoyed hearing this when I was an installer. I and other installers were accused of this so many times it was not even funny. I never knew an installer that pulled this stuff and I certainly never did. When you have your **** loud in public or have valuables in plain site yo increase your likelihood of a break-in. Window tint actually attracts more thieves than it deters. I'm not saying that no installer has stolen or had it done but it seems an instant accusation after a break-in.

i usually dont say it but the op said itd been a week since it was installed so it was the first thought i had. If it was a respectable shop then i would agree with u that its very doubtful itd be an installer.

cf2004
11-22-2009, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=Upgrayedd;6751940]I used to get so annoyed hearing this when I was an installer. [QUOTE]

You make up great points in your post and I am sure they the "theiving installer" theroy is more the exception than it is the rule.

SWFL
11-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I have 5% all the way around and 35% on my windshield and the proxmity works fine I have mine turned all the way down actually and it still does the warning beep when you are like 5ft away from it on the sides. With the windows down it reaches out about 7ft with it being turned down all the way on the warning. I have it set where you have to be about 1ft for the alarm to actually set off

pickup1
11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
why didnt the shock sensor make it go off?

Louisiana_CRX
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
sounds like you needed a glass break sensor ....

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 01:17 AM
why didnt the shock sensor make it go off?

tint+spring loaded punch = no shock.

k_schutte
11-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Move out da Ghetto

rival904
11-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Should have bought an Autopage.

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Should have bought an Autopage.

Why, he would have the same exact thing happen? He didn't have a prox nd on tinted windows glass breakage sensors aren't always effective.

SWFL
11-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Should have bought a VIPER.

Now its correct

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 01:33 AM
lol@ alarm brands. Install and monitoring are the things that matter. DEI does make a hell of a prox sensor, other than that meh.

rival904
11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Now its correct

No, he would still be in the same boat.

I really dont see how the shock sensor didnt go off, when set correctly and installed on a good spot, it will trip the alarm 9/10 times. Did they open the door or reach through the window? If they opened the door then the door trigger didnt go off either

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 01:38 AM
I do see how the shock didnt go off but the door trigger was an interesting point unless the items were that easily within reach. Which is possible.

dirtysouth31
11-22-2009, 08:03 AM
on my viper 5901 the prox sensor with tinted windows works fine and i added the voice module to be annoying to myself and everyone else...

whitedragon551
11-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Did you make sure it worked by touching doors and such before the incident to make sure the installer did the job right?

stikystikyricky
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
No, he would still be in the same boat.

I really dont see how the shock sensor didnt go off, when set correctly and installed on a good spot, it will trip the alarm 9/10 times. Did they open the door or reach through the window? If they opened the door then the door trigger didnt go off either

Yea, they just reached in through the window. No doors were open. I know this because my laptop bag was on the backseat and it was untouched.. lol But when I went to pick up my truck from the shop the installers tested every single door for the door pin. Also I tested out my shock sensor after my car got broken into and it was fine. Not too sensitive and not set too low. One light blow on my pillar and the alarm went off.

When I got to the the truck and saw the broken glass the first thing I did was look at my 2-way pager. I saw that there were no warning indications so I hit unlock and "beep-beep" two chirps. (Meaning the alarm didnt go off)

It was pretty much a grab and go through the window. I guess a proximity sensor it is. Im ordering one right now. Is install pretty simple or would I have to take it back to the shop? I know where the brain is installed and I have the wiring diagram.

-Thanks

michaellane
11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Yea, they just reached in through the window. No doors were open. I know this because my laptop bag was on the backseat and it was untouched.. lol But when I went to pick up my truck from the shop the installers tested every single door for the door pin. Also I tested out my shock sensor after my car got broken into and it was fine. Not too sensitive and not set too low. One light blow on my pillar and the alarm went off.

When I got to the the truck and saw the broken glass the first thing I did was look at my 2-way pager. I saw that there were no warning indications so I hit unlock and "beep-beep" two chirps. (Meaning the alarm didnt go off)

It was pretty much a grab and go through the window. I guess a proximity sensor it is. Im ordering one right now. Is install pretty simple or would I have to take it back to the shop? I know where the brain is installed and I have the wiring diagram.

-Thanks

i had tghe exact sameting hbappen......but my alarm went off...no prox either. just a viper 2 way. the shock sens was enough.

vitveet
11-22-2009, 12:13 PM

-Thanks

It's pretty simple to install. I have a prox. sensor if you want it. I'll sell it to you for a good price. It's bnib.
[email protected]

V.

skadude016
11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
To reach that far in and not bump anything in and around the console area is amazing! Did the alarm unit come with 2 remotes? and do they send out new codes every time it has been locked? Im not pointing the finger at the installer. But just seems like you should of atleast had a warning chirp if the shock sensor is set correctly...

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 12:38 PM
To reach that far in and not bump anything in and around the console area is amazing! Did the alarm unit come with 2 remotes? and do they send out new codes every time it has been locked? Im not pointing the finger at the installer. But just seems like you should of atleast had a warning chirp if the shock sensor is set correctly...

lol, you act like a console is hard to get into without disrupting the vehicle.

skadude016
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
lol, you act like a console is hard to get into without disrupting the vehicle.

I know mine is :D

NoCoSPL
11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Also since the truck is probably taller than the reach of the theif, im almost positive he had to step on ur sidestep and reach in, weight on sidestep = tilt of vehicle. Ger urself a tilt sensor also :)

csu87
11-22-2009, 01:52 PM
i just added the glass break sensor and proximity sensor to my viper 5900. the glass sensor you can adjust the sensitivity and i set it to go off if there is just a little tap on the windows. with the proximity its kinda hit and miss. sometimes itll chirp when your within a foot, sometimes not at all.

i still think they are worth it though, $50 on ebay for both and im confident that my car wont get broken into without me knowing

stikystikyricky
11-22-2009, 05:41 PM
It's pretty simple to install. I have a prox. sensor if you want it. I'll sell it to you for a good price. It's bnib.
[email protected]

V.

E-mail sent :-)

stikystikyricky
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Also since the truck is probably taller than the reach of the theif, im almost positive he had to step on ur sidestep and reach in, weight on sidestep = tilt of vehicle. Ger urself a tilt sensor also :)

Yea he had to step on it.. The truck has an 8" lift so there is no getting in it at all without stepping on the side step.. Even if you want to peak in through the window you have to step on it. However I figured a tilt sensor wouldnt do much... correct me if Im wrong. But I figured tilt sensors are for when you lift up your car with a jack like to steal rims. Im a 200lb guy and when I step on the side step the truck doesnt really tilt.. lol Im sure it moves a little, but nothing crazy. Trucks have a pretty stiff suspension. I dont know though.. maybe it might help. How sensitive are the tilt sensors?

NeverEnuffBass
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
An alarm is a theft deterrent, not a theft prevention device. If the person breaking in is good enough, nothing is going to stop them. Was your cell and radar in plain sight? Tints only do so much.

Blazin_Jason
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Did you have the awesome blinking led to let everyone know you have an alarm? I have an ultrasonic sensor in my truck and from playing around it seems to work quite well.

Street DreamsCC
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Nice install. Funny thing is I did installs for well over 10 years. Only 1 vehicle was ever broken into. Everyone knew if I installed it it wont be easy to get past. Other shops you could beat the car with a bat and it wont go off.
When I do them the shock sensor is attached so it senses all the way in the back. If its a car, I tap on the trunk like they were prying out the lock cylinder. If its a truck then I lightly tap the BACK window. If it dont atleast prewarn it dont leave the shop.
Only issue is it makes the front SUPER sensetive. BUT it also will go off if anything hits it even if it is a light punch or porcelin used to shatter. (yes we did the testing to find out)

Motion sensors are good BUT you have an air freshner in the vehicle and it moves alarm goes off. Cat jumps on it and alarm goes off. Cat runs under and alarm goes off. You have every window blacked out and your ok. Now tilt switch is pointless unless its a decent amount of tilting.

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Nice install. Funny thing is I did installs for well over 10 years. Only 1 vehicle was ever broken into. Everyone knew if I installed it it wont be easy to get past. Other shops you could beat the car with a bat and it wont go off.
When I do them the shock sensor is attached so it senses all the way in the back. If its a car, I tap on the trunk like they were prying out the lock cylinder. If its a truck then I lightly tap the BACK window. If it dont atleast prewarn it dont leave the shop.
Only issue is it makes the front SUPER sensetive. BUT it also will go off if anything hits it even if it is a light punch or porcelin used to shatter. (yes we did the testing to find out)

Motion sensors are good BUT you have an air freshner in the vehicle and it moves alarm goes off. Cat jumps on it and alarm goes off. Cat runs under and alarm goes off. You have every window blacked out and your ok. Now tilt switch is pointless unless its a decent amount of tilting.

care to elaborate on how to mount the shock sensor to be this sensitive over the entire vehicle without falsing all of the time?

bubbagumper6
11-22-2009, 10:13 PM
honestly tint will just attract thieves. If you look at a row of cars and one of them has tinted windows, you immediately know that car isn't stock and probably has something worth stealing. The only way to prevent break ins is to not be a *******

No bumping where you live
Less bumping in the city or parking lots where your going to leave your car unattended
And if at all possible make your car look as stock as possible. I know this takes away from the "cool" factor, but tinted windows, led ****, vinyl graphics on the windows (steal me stickers) and all that crap that distinguishes your car from everyone elses, also attracts thieves...

Upgrayedd
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM
honestly tint will just attract thieves. If you look at a row of cars and one of them has tinted windows, you immediately know that car isn't stock and probably has something worth stealing. The only way to prevent break ins is to not be a *******

No bumping where you live
Less bumping in the city or parking lots where your going to leave your car unattended
And if at all possible make your car look as stock as possible. I know this takes away from the "cool" factor, but tinted windows, led ****, vinyl graphics on the windows (steal me stickers) and all that crap that distinguishes your car from everyone elses, also attracts thieves...

This has all kinds of "this" content.

NoCoSPL
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Lol so thats 2 ppl now that said tinted windows will attact theives. NO. If i had clear windows thieves would see all kinds of equipment inside my car, tinted windows they see a reflection or its harder to see. Out of sight out of mind.

NoCoSPL
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Yea he had to step on it.. The truck has an 8" lift so there is no getting in it at all without stepping on the side step.. Even if you want to peak in through the window you have to step on it. However I figured a tilt sensor wouldnt do much... correct me if Im wrong. But I figured tilt sensors are for when you lift up your car with a jack like to steal rims. Im a 200lb guy and when I step on the side step the truck doesnt really tilt.. lol Im sure it moves a little, but nothing crazy. Trucks have a pretty stiff suspension. I dont know though.. maybe it might help. How sensitive are the tilt sensors?

Than 140lb tweaker wouldn't budge it. :crap:

bubbagumper6
11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Lol so thats 2 ppl now that said tinted windows will attact theives. NO. If i had clear windows thieves would see all kinds of equipment inside my car, tinted windows they see a reflection or its harder to see. Out of sight out of mind.

You missed the part where I said to MAKE YOUR CAR LOOK AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE. If you've got equipment visible in your car it's going to attract thieves. Idk about you but even with tint, if I'm right against the window, I can still see inside. The tint will make your car stand out in a parking lot.

NoCoSPL
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
You missed the part where I said to MAKE YOUR CAR LOOK AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE. If you've got equipment visible in your car it's going to attract thieves. Idk about you but even with tint, if I'm right against the window, I can still see inside. The tint will make your car stand out in a parking lot.

You must live in a really untinted area. Round here parking lots are full of tinted vehicles. Most mother****ers who wanna smash and grab aren't going to take the time to press thier eyebrows on the window to see in if they are worried about being spotted, they just glance and if they like something they see. . .

whitedragon551
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Alot of cars are tinted here as well. I see grandmas driving around with 15-25% on their front windows and thats illegal here.

bubbagumper6
11-22-2009, 10:53 PM
You must live in a really untinted area. Round here parking lots are full of tinted vehicles. Most mother****ers who wanna smash and grab aren't going to take the time to press thier eyebrows on the window to see in if they are worried about being spotted, they just glance and if they like something they see. . .

lol, Ohio's tint laws are like 50% all the way around :crap:

So yeah, you could say I live in an area with not a lot of tint...

Cadillac713
11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Man I had ppl try 2 break in my car they just put a big *** hole in my window only thing is I don't have **** in my car I took everything out haha cuz im redoin my entire setup so they would have been very dissapointed lol well there was radio but thats a pos