PDA

View Full Version : MDF got WET!

dewbie
11-21-2009, 03:10 AM
So i went to pick up a piece of MDF at home depot earlier today, wasn't raining when i left, wasn't raining when i loaded the MDF into the back of my truck, but of course it started pouring on my way home, so one side of the MDF got pretty wet, when i got home i immediately unloaded it, dried it off as best as i could at the time, you guys think it's going to be a huge problem with the box?

i'm building the box tomorrow, not sure how bad moisture and wetness bother MDF, what do you guys think?

RAM_Designs
11-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Best thing to do with wet MDF is make a kerfed port. :fyi:

tc3k101
11-21-2009, 03:14 AM
Best thing to do with wet MDF is make a kerfed port. :fyi:

gotta dip it in your pool first :fyi:

who did that?

dewbie
11-21-2009, 03:16 AM
lol... ****.

the MDF looks alright right now, hm..... any serious answers, i know it's kind of a DUMB question.

just not sure how bad water ****s MDF up, looks straight right now so i dunno

RAM_Designs
11-21-2009, 03:17 AM
gotta dip it in your pool first :fyi:

who did that?

True, gotta have that even coverage, otherwise you might ruin the integrity of the wood.

I forgot who did it, but if was funny.

tc3k101
11-21-2009, 03:18 AM
lol... ****.

the MDF looks alright right now, hm..... any serious answers, i know it's kind of a DUMB question.

it will most likely warp when it fully dries

True, gotta have that even coverage, otherwise you might ruin the integrity of the wood.

I forgot who did it, but if was funny.

lol yeah fk i wanna find the thread now lol

RAM_Designs
11-21-2009, 03:19 AM
lol... ****.

Honestly, as long as the MDF doesn't look swollen, it should be alright. Some drops on the surface isn't going go kill anything(maybe some raised spots where the water sat); it's when you get it really wet and it soaks in through the sides is when it turns bad quick. I say wait another day and see how it looks.

TnT_Sounds
11-21-2009, 03:20 AM
watch it over night

any time I used mdf and it seen the slightest bit of moisture, I trashed it.

It will buff out :fyi:

dewbie
11-21-2009, 03:23 AM
watch it over night

any time I used mdf and it seen the slightest bit of moisture, I trashed it.

It will buff out :fyi:

what do you mean it will buff out?

im just wondering if it looks fine tomorrow, if there are longer term affects that may come out at a later date after it's built and in my trunk... haha, thats what im worried about, yeah i dont have too much knowledge with the stuff :laugh:

like mold, or if it isnt swollen tomorrow, if it can swell up later, or if it gets super weak with the slightest bit of moisture... **** like that, it was in the bed of my truck for like 15 minutes getting rained on, totally ****** i was like what the **** of course this happens,... $30 GOOOONE BABY

TnT_Sounds
11-21-2009, 03:28 AM
what do you mean it will buff out?

im just wondering if it looks fine tomorrow, if there are longer term affects that may come out at a later date after it's built and in my trunk... haha, thats what im worried about, yeah i dont have too much knowledge with the stuff :laugh:

It was a joke

If it was me, I would have already set it on fire.

water+mdf = does not mix well.

Just leave it out in the sun for a day and see how bad it warps or turns into sawdust

tc3k101
11-21-2009, 03:28 AM
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/358180.html

lol found the thread CLICK IT!

boostNbeer
11-21-2009, 03:43 AM
If it didnt already swell and deform in the first couple of hours then it didnt soak

**** is garbage if it swells

RAM_Designs
11-21-2009, 03:44 AM
**** is garbage if it swells

truf

djarmy2004
11-21-2009, 03:47 AM
i would say screw it on a 25 dollar peice of wood and just go get new wood, but thats me

BassMechkanic
11-21-2009, 10:46 AM
it it did not swell, your good,

Street DreamsCC
11-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I have had MDF get wet a few times. If it sits in water then its going to go moldy. If it got alittle water on it when it dries u it will be darker in that area but will be fine. Just make sure to let it all dry out good first. If it gets too much water it will swell up.
Its not like reg. particle board where it gets wet and starts to flake.

Mr. Slate
11-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Wet enough and that 3/4 will become 1 inch thick, lol.

Twisted_0912
11-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Wet enough and that 3/4 will become 1 inch thick, lol.

i have some scraps in my driveway that are like almost 2 inches from sitting in the rain so much :crap:

PV Audio
11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Just get new wood. No point in taking chances.

infamous_e46
11-21-2009, 01:41 PM
thats what u get for talking dirty to it "ooo ima trim the hell out yo *** and then im screw the fukc outcha *** bish"

:fyi

iamamp3pimp
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
seriously, chances are that you will need to buy a new piece, iso you might as well build it and see what happens.

unless you are on limited time.

dewbie
11-21-2009, 07:03 PM
thats what u get for talking dirty to it "ooo ima trim the hell out yo *** and then im screw the fukc outcha *** bish"

:fyi

lol, thanks guys, it looks fine today, just a little swollen patch from me leaning one piece against the other wet piece ( stupid but i was frantically putting them in my garage from my truck ), so im just gonna use it

:wow:

skadude016
11-21-2009, 07:06 PM
pics or it didnt happen. I left my burp box in the barn when we were having all that flooding here in north GA. and now the box is ruined and twice the size!

slim2fattycake
11-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I have had MDF get wet a few times. If it sits in water then its going to go moldy. If it got alittle water on it when it dries u it will be darker in that area but will be fine. Just make sure to let it all dry out good first. If it gets too much water it will swell up.
Its not like reg. particle board where it gets wet and starts to flake.

x2.

KyleBechtold
11-21-2009, 07:16 PM
It might mold down the road.. you can try to stain it or hit it with some wd-40.. its supposed to remove moisture

PV Audio
11-21-2009, 07:32 PM
It might mold down the road.. you can try to stain it or hit it with some wd-40.. its supposed to remove moisture
Please tell me you're kidding :laugh:

KyleBechtold
11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Please tell me you're kidding :laugh:

staining no.. wd-40 yes.. But idk about staining it.. I would figure that would help keep it longer but I could be wrong

Highs on bass
11-21-2009, 07:52 PM
i built a 3/4 mdf box that is in my truck bed but I have a vinyl tonneu' cover on it bed. i bought some walmart truck bed coating and sprayed all the wood. its been in the truck for like a year or so. still just as purdy as eva lol

Dak446
11-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Meh. I wouldn't worry about it. Soaking it is different than getting some water drops on it. You'll be fine

PV Audio
11-21-2009, 09:41 PM
staining no.. wd-40 yes.. But idk about staining it.. I would figure that would help keep it longer but I could be wrongStaining and poly'ing a finish protects it from water, yes. When it's already wet, it's just going to make the problem worse :laugh: