PDA

View Full Version : Kerf port advantages

ricktjr
11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Could someone explain to me what are the strong points and weak points of a kerfed port ? What exactly are the advantages of using one ? Thanks.:confused:

SubNit
11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Aside for the aesethetic appeal of the kerfed wood, the curavture provides a more round enviroment allowing the bass to speed up really fast as it exits the box thus providing more spl and more sq at the same time.

Not many people can handle it

It's called the kerf effect

BassMechkanic
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
would like to se 2 boxes one kerf , one normal compared on meter, to say provides more spl?
reduce port noise yes, but by letting the sound wave expand thru kerf port, as opening got larger would reduce effect, i would think. Guru's please explain.

They look COOL!

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Kerfs can help to lower port noise, but they are not symmetrical in their flaring meaning that they do not expand at the same rate all the way around which will net you more gain. Basically, unless you have a four sided kerf on both ends, you're just cutting down on port noise slightly.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Aside for the aesethetic appeal of the kerfed wood, the curavture provides a more round enviroment allowing the bass to speed up really fast as it exits the box thus providing more spl and more sq at the same time.

Not many people can handle it

It's called the kerf effectWhile you might think you're funny, you're not. Kerfing is a very standard woodworking procedure for bending wood. It has nothing to do with audio in the slightest.

SubNit
11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
While you might think you're funny, you're not. Kerfing is a very standard woodworking procedure for bending wood. It has nothing to do with audio in the slightest.

While you might think your being smart, you're not. You see this topic has been covered countless time so all your really doing is regurgitating the same information that's been stated in the aforemention similiar threads

but it sounded legit

FYI I laughed for hours on end as I read over my previous post

iamamp3pimp
11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
id like to do some testing to see if its possible to get away with having less port area yeilding similar results using Kerfs on each side of the port.

mobeious
11-20-2009, 06:57 PM
there is no bennifit to using a single sided flared port... mostly just for looks... u get port noise from not haveing enough port volume to match the air volume ur subs create so if u have a flared port u will hear the noise coming from where the flare starts .. if anything it might direct the airflow out of the port toward the flare slightly

iamamp3pimp
11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
im going to have to disagree with you there just because from what ive seen, port noise generally is the sound of the wind whipping around the hard corners at the end of the port, not a true characteristic of the port itself.

also you can get away with so much less port area using an aeroport, but the shape of the port itself really has little to do with that.

imo of course.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
While you might think your being smart, you're not. You see this topic has been covered countless time so all your really doing is regurgitating the same information that's been stated in the aforemention similiar threads

but it sounded legit

FYI I laughed for hours on end as I read over my previous post
I'm glad that having a low intellect is amusing to you because it definitely was not funny in the slightest.

If someone comes here with a legitimate question, I try and either answer it for them or point them somewhere that has the answer. Giving a useless reply is neither funny nor useful to anyone. There's a lounge for that.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
im going to have to disagree with you there just because from what ive seen, port noise generally is the sound of the wind whipping around the hard corners at the end of the port, not a true characteristic of the port itself.

also you can get away with so much less port area using an aeroport, but the shape of the port itself really has little to do with that.

imo of course.No sir, mobes is correct. What's happening is that the air in the port is getting compressed to the point that once it reaches an area lower pressure aka the outside, it sprays out everywhere. Kinda like holding the end of a hose slightly closed. I have a 3" aero in my car and it's straight as can be and I still get port noise (8W7) when the sub's really cranking. It's just due to more air than can fit is trying to get down the port at the same time. :)

mobeious
11-20-2009, 11:20 PM
No sir, mobes is correct. What's happening is that the air in the port is getting compressed to the point that once it reaches an area lower pressure aka the outside, it sprays out everywhere. Kinda like holding the end of a hose slightly closed. I have a 3" aero in my car and it's straight as can be and I still get port noise (8W7) when the sub's really cranking. It's just due to more air than can fit is trying to get down the port at the same time. :)

thank you

and i have tested regular proper designed ported enclosure against a proper designed flared enclosure .. there was no difference in sound or numbers on the TL