PDA

View Full Version : glueing teh box

mr.michael
11-19-2009, 12:29 AM
is it completely needed to glue the top of my box down or oculd i just screw it and seal it from the inside? subs r both 50 lbs each :fyi:

mr.michael
11-19-2009, 12:29 AM
heres teh box http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww295/lickenboobies/guitarnbox015.jpg

chaunb3400
11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I glue do you?

mr.michael
11-19-2009, 12:37 AM
idk i guess i will just in case the subs call for it. whether or not they need it idk. il never be able to take the top off though thats for sho

Random1010
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Glue is what holds the box together.

bhsdriller
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
screws don't hold the box together, glue does

yes, always use glue

99grandprixGT
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
why dont u want to glue the top on?

S.B.C.
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Glue holds it together, screws keep it tight till it dries ;)

And with that heavy of a sub jumping up and down, that baffle will be in your lap within a song

IDSkoT
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM
screws don't hold the box together, glue does

yes, always use glue

Screws do, too... just glue is more uniform in the distribution of pressure.

My box is held together with screws... and it has no leaks and is completely fine.

I also used 1/2" MDF.

But I'm only running ~600 watts to two different drivers and there's a good amount of bracing.
But there's no flexing, no leaking, and it sounds good.

GetLikeMe
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM

My box is held together with screws... and it has no leaks and is completely fine.

I also used 1/2" MDF.

But I'm only running ~600 watts to two different drivers and there's a good amount of bracing.
But there's no flexing, no leaking, and it sounds good.

Where were u yesterday when i got into a argument that screws helped hold the box together other than just helpin the glue dry lol.

bhsdriller
11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Eh, I've never used screws and my boxes have been fine

PV Audio
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM

I also used 1/2" MDF.

But there's no flexing, no leaking, and it sounds good.This is 100% false and makes 0% sense. Screws add ZERO structural strength. All you're doing is holding the panels close to one another. That bond could be snapped by your hand because there isn't a bond at all.

Where were u yesterday when i got into a argument that screws helped hold the box together other than just helpin the glue dry lol.They don't. Glue creates a mechanical bond which is a type of chemical bond. It fuses the wood together to create a joint which is stronger than the wood being bound. I don't know why people still fail to understand this because it isn't even a car audio issue, it's one of the fundamentals of wood working. Screws actually weaken your enclosure by creating voids, so if you can not use them, then don't. You only use screws when you don't have time to keep a panel clamped for a few hours while it sets well enough to work with. Screws function as small clamps to help keep the claming pressure there while you move on to the rest of the enclosure.

S.B.C.
11-19-2009, 01:34 AM
The wood itself will tear before the glue joint breaks - its science