PDA

View Full Version : Port walls?

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 12:34 AM
If I need more port length than the first two port walls? Can I add a third wall or is this a terrible idea? Also, what is the minimum width my port needs to be?

mlstrass
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty sure you need to either offer up a drawing or reword your questions with more info about the enclosure and no one has any idea what you're asking....

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Well it's a slot port first off. It has the initial port wall running straight back, makes a 90 and this is the second port wall. I am asking can it make another 90 and have a third port wall? I'll try to load up my drawing real fast..

ascitiesburn69
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Yes you can. Add 45's in all corners. And the minimum width of your port depends on the size of your box.

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1539/1118092d.png

This is the prelim drawing. And what factors of the box size controlls port width?

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Bump.

KyleBechtold
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
you understand that port wall 2 lowers your tuning correct? why do you need more port wall what are you trying to achieve?

KyleBechtold
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
port width is an option to gain more port area if the box is wider than it is deep..

PioneerSPL1990
11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Port length kills deebeez man.

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Well I want to tune it to around 34 and as it is with two walls it is at 38. I'm not gonna compete so that isn't too big of an issue for gaining every db. Any ideas on what will help? The net space is about 2.09 cu ft with 30 in of port at 1.5 in width.

DNick454
11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
It looks like you have separate chambers for two subs? Is it 2 cubes total or per sub? 1.5" wide of a port is kind of skinny too. The port is like 12" tall, that only yields 18 sq. in of port area for 2 cubic feet, (9 per cube, rule of thumb is 12-16 sq in of port area per cube)

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Its gonna be two seperate chambers for two subs. The port is 30 in long and the box is 19 high (17.5 internals). By calculating area (LxW), shouldn't it be 30x1.5 yielding 45 sq in of port. And each chamber is 2.09 cu ft. Is my math off on the port area by that much?

DNick454
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Its gonna be two seperate chambers for two subs. The port is 30 in long and the box is 19 high (17.5 internals). By calculating area (LxW), shouldn't it be 30x1.5 yielding 45 sq in of port. And each chamber is 2.09 cu ft. Is my math off on the port area by that much?

Yeah, you don't get port area by multiplying it by the actual length of the port's path. It's cross-sectional area. How tall the port is by how wide is port area. The bigger the port area is, the LONGER it actually has to be to achieve the same tuning. But, you can't have it too small in port area or it will be like breathing through a straw and the air velocity coming out of the port will be excessive and you will get turbulence and port noise.

1.5" wide X 17.5" tall = 26.25 sq in of port area. 26.25 sq in divided by 2 cubes = 13 sq in per cubic foot of net volume which is actually ok.

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
So what would you suggest to get a lower tuning? I believe 38 is too high? Am I correct in thinking this? My goal was about 34 hz. This is a daily driver that I would just like to hit the lows.. I am not aiming for any numbers or competing in any way.

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Bump for the night.

PV Audio
11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Get rid of the two chambers and use one large chamber instead. The only advantage to using separate chambers is to get some free bracing out of the port walls.

gtbike900
11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Port length kills deebeez man.

how does port length kill dbs

Caleb9107
11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
The only reason I am doing two chambers is because I like the look of two kerfs on my box. It was either two in the middle or on the sides so I chose the middle. Should I try to use a common air space with a kerf on either side?

DNick454
11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
The only reason I am doing two chambers is because I like the look of two kerfs on my box. It was either two in the middle or on the sides so I chose the middle. Should I try to use a common air space with a kerf on either side?

Looks doesn't = sounding good :)

It's more efficient (and much easier to construct to boot) to use a common chamber. 4 cubic feet with atleast 50 sq in of port area tuned to your liking should do great. I wouldn't bother trying to make two ports. That always bothered me at first too. I wanted my box to be symmetrical and whatnot. Truth is, it doesn't matter, and it's better to stick with one large port. Less room for error and easier to build and build correctly.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
The only reason I am doing two chambers is because I like the look of two kerfs on my box. It was either two in the middle or on the sides so I chose the middle. Should I try to use a common air space with a kerf on either side?Well I like the sound of a proper enclosure to my ears. I suggest that you take the time to design the enclosure properly instead of worry about how your kerfs look.

Caleb9107
11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Looks doesn't = sounding good :)

It's more efficient (and much easier to construct to boot) to use a common chamber. 4 cubic feet with atleast 50 sq in of port area tuned to your liking should do great. I wouldn't bother trying to make two ports. That always bothered me at first too. I wanted my box to be symmetrical and whatnot. Truth is, it doesn't matter, and it's better to stick with one large port. Less room for error and easier to build and build correctly.

Understandable =] haha. I just know that I want my box to have kerfs. I am not a big fan of the solo giant port on one side.. Building the box shouldn't be much of a problem..

Question: If I end up designing it with a common chamber and 2 ports, would I just tune each one to my desired 34 hz or does having two require some crazy tuning to equal my box playing at 34 hz?

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Understandable =] haha. I just know that I want my box to have kerfs. I am not a big fan of the solo giant port on one side.. Building the box shouldn't be much of a problem..

Question: If I end up designing it with a common chamber and 2 ports, would I just tune each one to my desired 34 hz or does having two require some crazy tuning to equal my box playing at 34 hz?

Lets say a 4" wide port 17" tall that is 30 inches long = X tuning frequency. Having two ports would be two 2" wide ports 17" tall that are both 30" long. But keep in mind, you're using more wood to make more port walls which takes up more internal volume and throws up the tuning a tad bit.

The reason the port to one side is such a sought after design is its efficiency of space. Just think about it... The bottom of the box, top of the box, side, and back walls all act as parts of the port. you only need to add one or two pieces to complete all FOUR walls of the port. This saves internal space in the box that would be wasted by having to construct all the port walls in addition to the box walls. Other than using aero ports, a single slot port that folds along the box's perimeter is simply the most effective use of space as well as wood.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:12 AM

Question: If I end up designing it with a common chamber and 2 ports, would I just tune each one to my desired 34 hz or does having two require some crazy tuning to equal my box playing at 34 hz?This is a stupid idea and has no reason to be done at all. You're just going to end up complicating everything when it doesn't need to be done, so just use one large port instead.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Lets say a 4" wide port 17" tall that is 30 inches long = X tuning frequency. Having two ports would be two 2" wide ports 17" tall that are both 30" long. But keep in mind, you're using more wood to make more port walls which takes up more internal volume and throws up the tuning a tad bit.

The reason the port to one side is such a sought after design is its efficiency of space. Just think about it... The bottom of the box, top of the box, side, and back walls all act as parts of the port. you only need to add one or two pieces to complete all FOUR walls of the port. This saves internal space in the box that would be wasted by having to construct all the port walls in addition to the box walls. Other than using aero ports, a single slot port that folds along the box's perimeter is simply the most effective use of space as well as wood.Close, but this isn't entirely right. Since I'm studying for an exam and don't have time to explain, so just go with one port as the rest of the post says. :)

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Close, but this isn't entirely right. Since I'm studying for an exam and don't have time to explain, so just go with one port as the rest of the post says. :)

I know it isn't "exactly" right, and it's because of surface area. Two ports have more surface area than a single port with the same area+length. The increased surface area that the air travels past creates more drag and yadda yadda. No need to explain ;)

I was just giving him a rough idea. Best bet is to stick with a single port.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
So what would you suggest to get a lower tuning? I believe 38 is too high? Am I correct in thinking this? My goal was about 34 hz. This is a daily driver that I would just like to hit the lows.. I am not aiming for any numbers or competing in any way.

the longer the port the deeper the bass.

Caleb9107
11-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Hmm.. Thanks for the input.. Now i just have to figure out what I wanna do in my design! I'll post up the look and see what people think when I design it!

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:22 AM
how does port length kill dbs

it lowers the frequency, and the lower the frequency the more power it takes to produce the same spl of a higher frequency with the same amount of power. but if its your daily driver make your port length longer

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:23 AM
the longer the port the deeper the bass.

To an extent... There's a point of diminishing returns where you can keep adding tons of port length and the tuning only goes down a very miniscule amount. This is because of the volume inside the box that the port takes up. As the port gets longer, the tuning lowers but internal volume is also taken up which tries to raise the tuning and at a certain point they will almost offset eachother.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Lets say a 4" wide port 17" tall that is 30 inches long = X tuning frequency. Having two ports would be two 2" wide ports 17" tall that are both 30" long.

you better research that somemore, your giving wrong information on that one bud. you cant just cut the port from 4" to 2" and expect the length to stay the same especially when your cutting the airspace of the enclosure in 1/2 when you calcuate that one.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:30 AM
To an extent... There's a point of diminishing returns where you can keep adding tons of port length and the tuning only goes down a very miniscule amount. This is because of the volume inside the box that the port takes up. As the port gets longer, the tuning lowers but internal volume is also taken up which tries to raise the tuning and at a certain point they will almost offset eachother.

thats why you calculate how much air space the port will actually take up

and find out how much enclosure you still have left when you have limitations on airspace.

i have mine tuned to 27hz and the port is 38 inches long.

but yeah if you dont have the room to add port lenght then your stuck

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
the longer the port the deeper the bass.This idiot strikes again. Stop giving advice because this is not necessarily true.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
it lowers the frequency, and the lower the frequency the more power it takes to produce the same spl of a higher frequency with the same amount of power. but if its your daily driver make your port length longer
:confused::confused::confused: Where the flying **** do you get your information from? This isn't true at all.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
This idiot strikes again. Stop giving advice because this is not necessarily true.

is too is too. come on bud, quit. if my port is 17.5 *10 and 20 inches long. and my enclosure is 15 cubes total. if i add 18 inches length to my port i will lower my frequency.

prove me wrong!:rolleyes:

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
you better research that somemore, your giving wrong information on that one bud. you cant just cut the port from 4" to 2" and expect the length to stay the same especially when your cutting the airspace of the enclosure in 1/2 when you calcuate that one.

Dude, this is why you're getting bashed so much man. Before you scrambled to your keyboard in an attempt to prove me wrong, you should've thoroughly read my post. You're misinterpreting what I wrote.

First off, I'm not just cutting the port width in half. I'm explaining to him that having TWO ports as opposed to one would require the other one to be half of the cross-sectional port area, but the same length.

50sq in of port area that is 30 long is the same as TWO ports with 25 sq in of port area that are 30 inches long (roughly, keep in mind... there are a few quirks with multiple ports that don't make it EXACTLY equal, which I explained)

And where did you get the idea that the airspace is cut in half? It's a common chamber :confused:

4 cubic feet net with 1 port that is 4" wide, 12" tall, and 30" long is roughly the same as 4 cubic feet net with 2 ports that are 2" wide, 12" tall, and 30" long.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:35 AM
is too is too. come on bud, quit. if my port is 17.5 *10 and 20 inches long. and my enclosure is 15 cubes total. if i add 18 inches length to my port i will lower my frequency.

Until the port becomes so long that it occupies such a large amount of internal space that you only have 10 cubes total. Happy?:rolleyes:

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Please, sub2weeker, just please stop giving advice because this guy clearly isn't very experienced and everything you are saying is simply NOT true. I could post 15 exceptions to each thing that you've said. It's realistically false and theoretically false to say that a lower port somehow means deeper bass because that is entirely driver dependent and it is 100% false that somehow the lower the frequency, the less power it takes to produce that frequency. I don't know what book you read that in but it must have had pictures and a coloring area because that is not true by any laws of mathematics or physics.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Dude, this is why you're getting bashed so much man. Before you scrambled to your keyboard in an attempt to prove me wrong, you should've thoroughly read my post. You're misinterpreting what I wrote.

First off, I'm not just cutting the port width in half. I'm explaining to him that having TWO ports as opposed to one would require the other one to be half of the cross-sectional port area, but the same length.

50sq in of port area that is 30 long is the same as TWO ports with 25 sq in of port area that are 30 inches long (roughly, keep in mind... there are a few quirks with multiple ports that don't make it EXACTLY equal, which I explained)

And where did you get the idea that the airspace is cut in half? It's a common chamber :confused:

4 cubic feet net with 1 port that is 4" wide, 12" tall, and 30" long is roughly the same as 4 cubic feet net with 2 ports that are 2" wide, 12" tall, and 30" long.

this guy wants seperate chambers

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM

If your subwoofer has a bandwidth that has a 3db rolloff point above your tuning frequency, tuning lower offers no benefit whatsoever and can in fact cause your speaker to become undamped at its resonant frequency. If you do not model the enclosure specifically around the speaker, adding port length can yield worse output, or even worse, an undamped environment resulting mechanical damage to the speaker.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Please, sub2weeker, just please stop giving advice because this guy clearly isn't very experienced and everything you are saying is simply NOT true. I could post 15 exceptions to each thing that you've said. It's realistically false and theoretically false to say that a lower port somehow means deeper bass because that is entirely driver dependent and it is 100% false that somehow the lower the frequency, the less power it takes to produce that frequency. I don't know what book you read that in but it must have had pictures and a coloring area because that is not true by any laws of mathematics or physics.

i said it takes more power to produce the same spl at say... 27hz

as opposed to that same power with a box tuned to 45hz

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
If your subwoofer has a bandwidth that has a 3db rolloff point above your tuning frequency, tuning lower offers no benefit whatsoever and can in fact cause your speaker to become undamped at its resonant frequency. If you do not model the enclosure specifically around the speaker, adding port length can yield worse output, or even worse, an undamped environment resulting mechanical damage to the speaker.

prove that a longer port on my dimensions does not lower the frequency.

my van is tuned to 27 hz and it does play it and everything above

when a box is tuned higher and trys playing the low end that is where your gonna get more damage to your subs.

this is where your ability to crossover everything comes in and plays a part.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:42 AM
as for the only thing i agree on is the single port with internal bracing, unless you are going for the stereo effect. (left and right) from double bass

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM

as opposed to that same power with a box tuned to 45hzThat is entirely dependent on the enclosure and the speaker. The subwoofer I have in my apartment is tuned to 19hz. It has more output below 30hz than it does above 40 due to the way the enclosure controls the cone's motion. If your speaker is not designed to play in a higher frequency range and if your enclosure is optimized to have maximum output in the lower octaves, then your fact falls on its face. Again, please stop posting vague rules of thumb as facts because there are so many exceptions to the rule to every one of them.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:46 AM

so according to this question you want to tune lower, and am asking how correct?

add length to your port,

thats it thats all....

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:46 AM
prove that a longer port on my dimensions does not lower the frequency.

my van is tuned to 27 hz and it does play it and everything above

when a box is tuned higher and trys playing the low end that is where your gonna get more damage to your subs.

this is where your ability to crossover everything comes in and plays a part.
You said a longer port creates deeper bass. Not true. The tuning frequency may be lower, yes, but unless the speaker is supposed to be in that environment, that's about as useful as having the keys to a Ferrari being hung on the top of your chimney: even though it might be there, you'll never be able to use it and could end up damaging something along the way.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
as for the only thing i agree on is the single port with internal bracing, unless you are going for the stereo effect. (left and right) from double bassAre you trolling us? Because I don't have time to sit here with you as I need to study for an exam, but I don't want this guy getting wrong information. There is no "stereo" effect from bass frequencies. None. It's omni directional which is why you can place a subwoofer anywhere in your room or trunk and not be able to tell where it is.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:48 AM
That is entirely dependent on the enclosure and the speaker. The subwoofer I have in my apartment is tuned to 19hz. It has more output below 30hz than it does above 40 due to the way the enclosure controls the cone's motion. If your speaker is not designed to play in a higher frequency range and if your enclosure is optimized to have maximum output in the lower octaves, then your fact falls on its face. Again, please stop posting vague rules of thumb as facts because there are so many exceptions to the rule to every one of them.

we are talking car audio not home audio. the guy wants to hear the lower ends of music. its a simple fix and your ranting on about nothing.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Are you trolling us? Because I don't have time to sit here with you as I need to study for an exam, but I don't want this guy getting wrong information. There is no "stereo" effect from bass frequencies. None. It's omni directional which is why you can place a subwoofer anywhere in your room or trunk and not be able to tell where it is.

so i suppose the guy cant hook up his subs left and right and expect to hear on the left channel if thats how the music is recorded. your a fool.

just like your mids and highs are in stereo, the subs can also be in stereo

and believe it or not music is recorded in stereo as well.

so i hope the guy whos post this is understands im giving him the simple solution. and with that i will leave as i came.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Increasing port length makes the box's F3 lower. That's it. To actually HIT those notes with control and accuracy, you need a subwoofer with supporting characteristics of that kind of box.

Same reason certain subs are meant for sealed and others ported. You can't force a sub to reproduce what it is not meant to handle. Well, you can force it actually, good luck getting something audible though.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 12:57 AM
we are talking car audio not home audio. the guy wants to hear the lower ends of music. its a simple fix and your ranting on about nothing.I don't think anyone else has ever made me so frustrated as you do, because you clearly know NOTHING and end up hurting the knowledge of newer members who are trying to learn. Go away because you are just making it harder to remove useless snake oil myths and misconceptions.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:00 AM
so i suppose the guy cant hook up his subs left and right and expect to hear on the left channel if thats how the music is recorded. your a fool.

so i hope the guy whos post this is understands im giving him the simple solution. and with that i will leave as i came.

Actually, YES. That's exactly true. Unless they are physically right next to your head:rolleyes:
Tones under a certain frequency are unable to be perceived by the human ear as far as location goes. Why else would we mount them in the trunk? **** ton of room. If you can hear left and right channels, why don't the SQ guys put subs in their door panels on axis with the listener?

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:02 AM

NO, you won't because sub bass is NOT directional. It is NOT DIRECTIONAL. Why? Because sound radiates from your speaker in a spherical pattern. Depending on the size of your enclosure and the wave length being played, that means that the radiation can either fully envelop your enclosure or not. What that means is that for very high frequencies, all the sound is reflected off of the baffle and out into the listening area. For enclosures whose baffles are the same width as the wavelength being played, this causes diffraction known as baffle step. For sub bass frequencies, the wave lengths are so long that by the time the information reaches the listening, there is longer any directionality to the sound because it is propagating in a spherical pattern without interference from the baffle. This is the theory behind infinite baffle setups: if your baffle is larger than the lowest frequency that you'll be playing's wavelength, all sound is reflected into the listening area. Sub bass frequencies have wave lengths of many FEET, not inches like midranges and tweeters, so it is impossible to localize anything with frequencies that low. Couple that with the fact that the ear doesn't have sensitivity to pick up low frequency directivity and you get a double shot dose of why your theory fails.

slam
11-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Actually, YES. That's exactly true. Unless they are physically right next to your head:rolleyes:
Tones under a certain frequency are unable to be perceived by the human ear as far as location goes. Why else would we mount them in the trunk? **** ton of room. If you can hear left and right channels, why don't the SQ guys put subs in their door panels on axis with the listener?

I haz 8" subs in the doors :fyi:

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:05 AM

because their system is running fullrange or everything is competely crossed over so it sounds that way. either way sq guys go for the left and right seperation of sound. period.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I haz 8" subs in the doors :fyi:

But what frequency are they crossed over at? ;):p:

godhatescivics
11-20-2009, 01:08 AM
QUOTE=sub2weeker;6746464]so i suppose the guy cant hook up his subs left and right and expect to hear on the left channel if thats how the music is recorded. your a fool.

so i hope the guy whos post this is understands im giving him the simple solution. and with that i will leave as i came.[/QUOTE]

FAIL!

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:09 AM
because their system is running fullrange or everything is competely crossed over so it sounds that way. either way sq guys go for the left and right seperation of sound. period.

No it's because low tones have frequency waves that are 10-30 feet long and take a long distance to develop. By the time it has reached your ear, it has reflected inside your car cabin so many times that it sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

Do you have another retarded theory for me to disprove?

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:13 AM
No it's because low tones have frequency waves that are 10-30 feet long and take a long distance to develop. By the time it has reached your ear,

yeah explain how i have 10 to 30 feet from my wall of 4 18s, that sit directly behind my driver and passenger seats. and why i hit a 155.2 on the glass?

i guess that just isnt possible now is it. heres your sign

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:13 AM
No it's because low tones have frequency waves that are 10-30 feet long and take a long distance to develop. By the time it has reached your ear,

yeah explain how i have 10 to 30 feet from my wall of 4 18s, that sit directly behind my driver and passenger seats. and why i hit a 155.2 on the glass?

i guess that just isnt possible now is it. [SIZE="7"]heres your sign/SIZE]

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:14 AM
No it's because low tones have frequency waves that are 10-30 feet long and take a long distance to develop. By the time it has reached your ear, it has reflected inside your car cabin so many times that it sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

Do you have another retarded theory for me to disprove?Jesus Christ, thank you. A 20hz wave has a wavelength of 17 METERS, and as such, that puppy is going out and with nothing to reflect it back towards the listener except for walls, you lose all sense of direction. Think about this: if you're at the shore on the beach, the waves crashing at you have a pretty regular frequency. When you're further out, you don't notice it because literally the wave length is so much longer.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:15 AM

yeah explain how i have 10 to 30 feet from my wall of 4 18s,:eek: that sit directly behind my driver and passenger seats:omg:. and why i hit a 155.2 on the glass?
thats not 10 feet away, try 5:laugh:

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:16 AM

i guess that just isnt possible now is it. heres your sighn:confused: What does that possibly have anything to do with anything? Regardless of the fact that if you have over 10 feet between your passenger seat and the windshield, you definitely aren't driving a car :confused:

marcotheclepto
11-20-2009, 01:18 AM

i guess that just isnt possible now is it. heres your sighn

that in of itself is a fail.... as was stated before the waves go all around the cabin before reaching your ear.... you proved nothing with this statement...

marcotheclepto
11-20-2009, 01:19 AM
:confused: What does that possibly have anything to do with anything? Regardless of the fact that if you have over 10 feet between your passenger seat and the windshield, you definitely aren't driving a car :confused:

he was somehow trying to disprove the length think but not doing a good job haha. go study pv... :P

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:25 AM
yeah explain how i have 10 to 30 feet from my wall of 4 18s,:eek: that sit directly behind my driver and passenger seats:omg:. and why i hit a 155.2 on the glass?
thats not 10 feet away, try 5:laugh:

You DONT have 10-30 feet. Thats the ****ing point. For the wave to FULLY develop, it reflects MANY times completely scrambling any perception of its origin.

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:27 AM
that in of itself is a fail.... as was stated before the waves go all around the cabin before reaching your ear.... you proved nothing with this statement...

im real sure the wave is bouncing of the windshield back off the box and back off the windshield bofore the wave fully forms. MY AZZ

and not im my van.

but we were talking about a kid that simply wanted to lower his frequency and you guys, that are... what? (19, 20 ) years old want to argue? over a simple solution?

slam
11-20-2009, 01:28 AM
:fyi: 1/4 wave is best for spl numbers

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:28 AM
i just realized it sorry....

they're stupid, they are kids.

slam
11-20-2009, 01:29 AM
kid at heart here ^

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:31 AM
The fact that you blatantly disregard FACTS and then insult on top of your ignorance (no wait... retardation) makes you the biggest piece of **** on these forums.

Do me a favor. Google "sound wavelength" and when you find a calculator, go ahead and tell me what a 50Hz sound wave looks like. C'mon... do it.

ascitiesburn69
11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
im real sure the wave is bouncing of the windshield back off the box and back off the windshield bofore the wave fully forms. MY AZZ

and not im my van.

but we were talking about a kid that simply wanted to lower his frequency and you guys, that are... what? (19, 20 ) years old want to argue? over a simple solution?

Your a complete imbecile.....Frequencies below say 80hz are omnidirectional. You obviously don't understand what that word means so basically it means that since your subs are spherical when it moves the frequencies played go out from every point of that "bowl-like shape" throwing them in every direction, meaning that yes the frequencies are bouncing off other **** before they get to your ears :fyi:

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:33 AM

and not im my van.

but we were talking about a kid that simply wanted to lower his frequency and you guys, that are... what? (19, 20 ) years old want to argue? over a simple solution?Yeah okay bud, while I'm here studying electrical engineering and acoustics, you haven't had any formal education in either. What we're talking about is not audio related, it's simple math and physics from the general world. 19-20 years old or not, it is startlingly clear that everyone posting in this thread has a far greater understanding of anything audio related that you're talking about than you do. If we're so childish, then just leave the forum because you're so much better and don't deserve to stoop to our level. I'm sure we'll survive.

ascitiesburn69
11-20-2009, 01:34 AM
:fyi: 1/4 wave is best for spl numbers

and this....:D

slam
11-20-2009, 01:35 AM
The fact that you blatantly disregard FACTS and then insult on top of your ignorance (no wait... retardation) makes you the biggest piece of **** on these forums.

Do me a favor. Google "sound wavelength" and when you find a calculator, go ahead and tell me what a 50Hz sound wave looks like. C'mon... do it.

At what altitude?

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:36 AM
kid at heart here ^

me too... but reality helps, and so does a job....:laugh:

sub-FATHER
11-20-2009, 01:37 AM

50 cycles per second. duh.... lol

ascitiesburn69
11-20-2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445802

All one has to do is read the OP of this thread to figure out what kind of tard sub2weeker really is....

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Caleb, please feel free to PM me or marcotheclepto or dnick (since I've seen design work from both of them and they know quite well what they're doing) if you need help after having this thread take a terrible turn. I am sorry for the way it ended up, but sub2weeker has a tendency to comment on things that he does not understand in the slightest, and we do not want you to be learning things from him when they are simply not true and can easily be disproved. :)

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:38 AM
At what altitude?

Sea level dawg;) 1atm pressure.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:43 AM

Congrats on giving me the definition of Hertz, a cycle per second. Now tell me what 50 cycles per second reproduced as sound looks like as far as length in FEET goes.

Obviously every person in this entire forum is incorrect and you know better. You should probably open your own forum so you can inform us all.

slam
11-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Sea level dawg;) 1atm pressure.

6.88 metres for a full wave length

Do I win?

marcotheclepto
11-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Caleb, please feel free to PM me or marcotheclepto or dnick (since I've seen design work from both of them and they know quite well what they're doing) if you need help after having this thread take a terrible turn. I am sorry for the way it ended up, but sub2weeker has a tendency to comment on things that he does not understand in the slightest, and we do not want you to be learning things from him when they are simply not true and can easily be disproved. :)

haha thankyou :)

grimreper912003
11-20-2009, 01:46 AM

as opposed to that same power with a box tuned to 45hz
Please play a 27hz note at full power in a box tuned to 45hz..

Have you ever realized sub amps are monoblocks? :wow:

i guess that just isnt possible now is it. heres your sign

You know a soundwave is easily reflected right?

How long of a wavelength is this?

I don't think you have a clue why your talking about..

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:48 AM

:laugh: You should know this by now.

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:48 AM
6.88 metres for a full wave length

Do I win?

You do win;)

As celebration, I changed my sig quote :)

grimreper912003
11-20-2009, 01:51 AM
:laugh: You should know this by now.

first I heard him tell someone to run 12k to their DP and now all this. Why not just keep your mouth shut and appear to look stupid instead of talking to prove it.

I don't understand him man..

slam
11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
You do win;)

As celebration, I changed my sig quote :)

YAYA

:handclap:

DNick454
11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
first I heard him tell someone to run 12k to their DP and now all this. Why not just keep your mouth shut and appear to look stupid instead of talking to prove it.

I don't understand him man..

I don't expect you to understand him. He doesn't even understand himself and the **** that spews from the second assh0le on his face.

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 01:57 AM
I don't expect you to understand him. He doesn't even understand himself and the **** that spews from the second assh0le on his face.:laugh: I just saw that when he realized he couldn't win he threatened you with violence. He did the EXACT same **** to me once I finally proved to him that if you're metering 150+ with your subs, playing your mids and tweeters won't make your score go up.

ascitiesburn69
11-20-2009, 02:04 AM

He doesn't know what that means :fyi:

DNick454
11-20-2009, 02:06 AM
He doesn't know what that means :fyi:

What are you talking about, 2 channels are better. 2 times the channels, 2 times the powa and that means 2 times the dB'z :yumyum:

PV Audio
11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
What are you talking about, 2 channels are better. 2 times the channels, 2 times the powa and that means 2 times the dB'z :yumyum:How this man is over 30 years old and is intelligent enough to remember to breathe on his own is completely beyond me. First the discussion about how having mids makes you meter higher, then it was about fusing or not fusing, now it's about all the garbage in this thread.

This site has had quite a few of these types over the years that I've been here: Below30, Mazdaspeed and another guy who i can't recall but was easily the worst. They eventually come and go, but while they're here, it's pure agony.

dappa5
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
How this man is over 30 years old and is intelligent enough to remember to breathe on his own is completely beyond me. First the discussion about how having mids makes you meter higher, then it was about fusing or not fusing, now it's about all the garbage in this thread.

This site has had quite a few of these types over the years that I've been here: Below30, Mazdaspeed and another guy who i can't recall but was easily the worst. They eventually come and go, but while they're here, it's pure agony.
INDEED