PDA

View Full Version : truck box help.

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 03:45 PM
hi im not new to this forum, just finally have a question

anyways i got a 1991 jeep comanche and its only single cab and ive got about 9 inches of room behind the seat. im lookin to put a 10'' sub behind there but im not sure if its possible with that kind of room. if it is it will really be a tight fit, i saw a truck box at future shop buy im not sure if it would fit. anyways can anyone tell me if i can even FIT a sub back there? and do some subs sound better in trucks then others? im lookin at either mtx or pioneer.

tommyk90
12-04-2003, 03:54 PM
hi im not new to this forum, just finally have a question

anyways i got a 1991 jeep comanche and its only single cab and ive got about 9 inches of room behind the seat. im lookin to put a 10'' sub behind there but im not sure if its possible with that kind of room. if it is it will really be a tight fit, i saw a truck box at future shop buy im not sure if it would fit. anyways can anyone tell me if i can even FIT a sub back there? and do some subs sound better in trucks then others? im lookin at either mtx or pioneer.

Can you fit a sub in there.....bah.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/448000-448999/448820_6_full.jpg

Anything is possible if you put some thought to it. Just build your own box to custom fit your truck so you know it'll fit. BTW, i have a regular cab s-10

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Can you fit a sub in there.....bah.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/448000-448999/448820_6_full.jpg

Anything is possible if you put some thought to it. Just build your own box to custom fit your truck so you know it'll fit. BTW, i have a regular cab s-10

thanks man. cam you give me any tips on building a box? i got a big lump there where my tranny is :( maybe glue some 4x4 blocks of wood on the bottom to balance it ? lol i dunno.

im pretty sure i will have to custom build a box, what material do i use and is there any "secrets" or tips u can give me?

any help is appreciated.

tommyk90
12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks man. cam you give me any tips on building a box? i got a big lump there where my tranny is :( maybe glue some 4x4 blocks of wood on the bottom to balance it ? lol i dunno.

im pretty sure i will have to custom build a box, what material do i use and is there any "secrets" or tips u can give me?

any help is appreciated.

Well, you can build the box up and over the hump, then back down the other side so you can get all the airspace you can get. For box materials, use 3/4" MDF, some nice coarse thread 2" screws, and liquid nails.

As for tips, measure twice, cut once. Also, make you you get the proper depth of the box so it leaves enough room behind the seat so the sub to move freely and so the sub can fit in the box. If you need any other help feel free to ask.

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, you can build the box up and over the hump, then back down the other side so you can get all the airspace you can get. For box materials, use 3/4" MDF, some nice coarse thread 2" screws, and liquid nails.

As for tips, measure twice, cut once. Also, make you you get the proper depth of the box so it leaves enough room behind the seat so the sub to move freely and so the sub can fit in the box. If you need any other help feel free to ask.

so your saying that bigger= better? the bigger i make the box ( lets say i made it take up a good chunk of behind the seat. that= good? that box in the s10 the guy posted looks like it has lots of extra room.

im gettin a sub/amp for xmas and i was plannin on a 10" MTX, its like 600 watts i think and a MTX amp. does this sound like a good choice? i know its not the best but my parents obviosly arnt going to buy me a $400 sub and a $1.5k amp lol. my friend has a pioneer premier in his truck and it POUNDS, but i dont think future shop sells those :wacky:

oh and what is MDF, obviosly a type of wood but can you tell me what "MDF" stands for?

LoneRanger
12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
so your saying that bigger= better? the bigger i make the box ( lets say i made it take up a good chunk of behind the seat. that= good? that box in the s10 the guy posted looks like it has lots of extra room.

im gettin a sub/amp for xmas and i was plannin on a 10" MTX, its like 600 watts i think and a MTX amp. does this sound like a good choice? i know its not the best but my parents obviosly arnt going to buy me a $400 sub and a $1.5k amp lol. my friend has a pioneer premier in his truck and it POUNDS, but i dont think future shop sells those :wacky:

oh and what is MDF, obviosly a type of wood but can you tell me what "MDF" stands for?

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. Don't let the jackoffs at home depot sell you partical board. It's not as sturdy as mdf and it tends to flex more than it should.

As far as subs go, that's your call....buy what sounds good to you :)

tommyk90
12-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Well, to help with the sub/amp situation, there is alot of stuff out there for not much money. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Maybe ask your parents and see how much they are willing to spend. We can put some awesome stuff together for under $500 for both a sub and amp.

Oh, and by the way, that's my box ;). She's ported now too actually. :)

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 05:39 PM
MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. Don't let the jackoffs at home depot sell you partical board. It's not as sturdy as mdf and it tends to flex more than it should.

As far as subs go, that's your call....buy what sounds good to you :)

my dad is a mechanic and super smart so he would know what MDF is and that, but he isnt home i asked you so i dont think ill have to worry about Home depot sellin me chipboard.

as for the subs, ya ill go with what sounds good...its going to be behind a bench seat so its goin to be muffled a bunch right? is that going to deeply affect the sound?

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Well, to help with the sub/amp situation, there is alot of stuff out there for not much money. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Maybe ask your parents and see how much they are willing to spend. We can put some awesome stuff together for under $500 for both a sub and amp.

Oh, and by the way, that's my box ;). She's ported now too actually. :)

thats cool. but i was talkin to my mom and they say they arnt gettin me anything on my xmas list :eek: good news is my parents are big on gift certificates so im hopin for that...they say i will REALLY like it and all ive been talkin about is car stereo.. SO...

even if i dont get subs i wont be too disapointed. i got a 45x4 pioneer deck, 2 pioneer 4 1/4's ( i think) and 2 speakers from my house ( ROFL) behind the seat.

it actually pounds really nice because of the speakers being over 400 and from my house lol :eek: 2 friends who sat in my truck were fooled and thought it had a semi-good sub in it. my door rattles like hell though..its the flimsy plastic sealer or what ever inside the door that rattles to no end. pissing me off. how can i go out fixing this? i was thinking of rammin sum foam ring under the speaker and then mount it. so its in between the speaker and the door..would that work or do i need one of those kits?

LoneRanger
12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
By the way!

This is 1.5 cubic feet sealed in a ford ranger single cab :)

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 06:00 PM
By the way!

This is 1.5 cubic feet sealed in a ford ranger single cab :)

good pictures BUT i cant do that. he has bucket seats. i have a bench seat ( plan to swap it out soon though) so im limited to room.

LoneRanger
12-04-2003, 06:15 PM
good pictures BUT i cant do that. he has bucket seats. i have a bench seat ( plan to swap it out soon though) so im limited to room.

That's my old truck...hence the name :)

The seats are from an old toyota and they bolted up perfectly....bucket seats are cheap at the junk yard....

jayxpk
12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
That's my old truck...hence the name :)

The seats are from an old toyota and they bolted up perfectly....bucket seats are cheap at the junk yard....

ya i know, there is a mint set of buckets at the wreckers out of a cherokee. either waythanks for the help guys.

papabaer
12-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Check out this site: http://www.decware.com/tbk10.htm
If you have any questions e-mail at [email protected]

bigred78797
12-08-2003, 12:06 AM
If you wan't email me and i can design a box for ya. I was able to shove four 1005q's in the cab of an s-10 regular cab. Those are some huge 10's. But bench seat or no bench seat i could design a box to fit. Check out how i did my two 1005q's ( before i got the other 2 ).