PDA

View Full Version : How are CDTs?

Gs04Aero
11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I found a set of EF-61NEO/DRT-25 PRO 6.5 comps for $170. How are these speakers? I've been deciding between ID CTX65cs and Hertz HSK 165s but saw these for a good price. I see a lot of people mention CDT in other threads. I'm running them off my bridged amp that puts out roughly 150wx2...Thoughts on these?

blazeplacid
11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
yeah really have to go listen for yourself

some people (like me) love them and some people dont

they tend to have a some what bright tweet, but not to bright.

Some say they cant get any mid bass out of them but I can feel the mid bass kick in my jeans everyday, not sub bass, mid bass

Gs04Aero
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey thanks for the quick input. I wish I had a place nearby that had these brands to listen to. Looks like the only retailers are in CA.

dbeez
11-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I ****ing love them they are awesome to say the least...but everyone has different likings in this department..

Gs04Aero
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Thats true. Any reviews you know of on Memphis' 15-MSQ6 components?

Hoodlum007
11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I have the CDT CL's and the ID CTX comps and love both. Can not really go wrong with them for the prices they sell for.

Xprime4
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Over here everyone is about CDT. I just don't get it... doesn't sound that great to my ear, even their the highest line

SWFL
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I have the CDT CL-62CF comps. PM exige about comps from him will get newer version and a great price for some comps. One thing I will say about them is they can handle tons of power and do get loud.

lyttleviet
11-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Over here everyone is about CDT. I just don't get it... doesn't sound that great to my ear, even their the highest line

I agree. I've heard multiple sets... nothing to talk about really. IMO, the OP was headed in the right direction prior to the CDT set.

PV Audio
11-13-2009, 01:30 AM
:bowdown: Running HD-62Z (HD-62 with ES-200Z crossover) with the UpStage 526-XT package. As I said in another thread, it creates sound staging that even for me as a DIY speaker builder, still find absolutely incredible. It seems like I can tell, and this is not bullshit because if you know me and how hard I am to please when it comes to audio, but I can tell the spatial difference between different parts of a piano on Diana Krall songs. It's really that vivid. Without the UpStage, you might as well just go with the ID CTX for the same price. With the UpStage and a high order tweeter filter, you simply won't believe your ears: it's not a gimmick.

gunz4me2
11-13-2009, 01:38 AM
I owned a set of the entry level CDT 6.5" components and GAVE the woofers away because they failed to reproduce midbass and the midrange was distorted. They were beat out by.... get this.... a set of Alpine Type R 6.5" components. I did keep the TW-25 tweeters though because they were easier to retrofit into my 1997 Civic tweeter pods than the Type Argh tweeters.
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/oldsch00lf00l/Front.jpg

As for the sound of the Type R tweeters compared to the CDTs, it was a toss up. On one track the Type Rs would sound slightly better whereas on another, the CDTs seemed to provide the detail that I expected to be there. Since the permanent retrofit solution was easier for the CDTs, they stayed. :D

I also heard a set of the $750 CDT components in a friend of a friend's vehicle. In all honesty, I was not impressed with how they sounded for the price. Although they sounded better than the CDT CL-S60A components that I owned, they didn't sound $600 better.

Xprime4
11-13-2009, 02:01 AM
I owned a set of the entry level CDT 6.5" components and GAVE the woofers away because they failed to reproduce midbass and the midrange was distorted. They were beat out by.... get this.... a set of Alpine Type R 6.5" components. I did keep the TW-25 tweeters though because they were easier to retrofit into my 1997 Civic tweeter pods than the Type Argh tweeters.
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/oldsch00lf00l/Front.jpg

As for the sound of the Type R tweeters compared to the CDTs, it was a toss up. On one track the Type Rs would sound slightly better whereas on another, the CDTs seemed to provide the detail that I expected to be there. Since the permanent retrofit solution was easier for the CDTs, they stayed. :D

I also heard a set of the $750 CDT components in a friend of a friend's vehicle. In all honesty, I was not impressed with how they sounded for the price. Although they sounded better than the CDT CL-S60A components that I owned, they didn't sound $600 better.

that,

vc-100 tweeters sound so much better to me and they don't have the sibilence tw-25 tweeters from their low to middle range comp set got...

blazeplacid
11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
"sounds better" is an opinion

everyone has their idea of what sounds the best to them

genxx
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
If you have looked at the HSK165 in the price range I have not heard anything that comes close, other than the Hybrid Audio Clarus. You can get the HSK cheaper though.

I have had a bunch of the CDT stuff all from the HD and ES lines.

I still run some of the HD and ES in the wifes SUV.

For the price it leaves some things to be desired. The only real issue I have ever had with them is their inability to play lower than 80hz and the midrange is just not clear enough or detailed enough.

My wife likes them fine though.