PDA

View Full Version : Possible to run Car Amp in house?

Cali_Screw
11-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Hello, as the title says, is it possible to run a car amp in the house? How can i power up the amp using a wall outlet?

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
you'd need a power supply, but its not worth the hassle IMO.

plugitin
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
get an amp designed to be run off of 120 volts...safer and easier...

ampjunkielikeme
11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
car battery, battery charger.....ghetto as hell, but it will work....lol

amartin_72
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Just cut the cord off an appliance, wire the skinny prong to GROUND and the fat prong in series through a .5 farad capacitor and then to the POSITIVE terminal on the amplifier. It might make a weird noise if it does then you connect the Ground from the skinny prong to the ground of one of the speaker terminals on the amp. Ive done this a few times it works great!

Cali_Screw
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM

I read a article about people using a power supply from a cpu, but i cant get the amp to stay on, it turns off every time i turn it on..

amartin_72
11-03-2009, 10:47 PM
You will need a battery if you don't have enough current from your power supply

kurrupt
11-03-2009, 10:49 PM
buy a power converter from sound digital

PV Audio
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh my ****ing goodness, this is the most often asked question in this forum. Learn to use the search, there have to be at least 15 identical threads. YES, you can do it. NO, you shouldn't do it. Car amplifiers are not designed to be run indoors, nor are car batteries meant to be used in anything other than a car. Just buy a plate amp and save yourself the danger, hassle and your electric bill.

PV Audio
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Just cut the cord off an appliance, wire the skinny prong to GROUND and the fat prong in series through a .5 farad capacitor and then to the POSITIVE terminal on the amplifier. It might make a weird noise if it does then you connect the Ground from the skinny prong to the ground of one of the speaker terminals on the amp. Ive done this a few times it works great!
And please do not listen to this, as it's far more dangerous than it needs to be.

ccab
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
:blowup: <-- you if you do the OP ^^:laugh:

bubbagumper6
11-04-2009, 09:41 AM

That sounds both very dangerous and very stupid.

Oh my ****ing goodness, this is the most often asked question in this forum. Learn to use the search, there have to be at least 15 identical threads. YES, you can do it. NO, you shouldn't do it. Car amplifiers are not designed to be run indoors, nor are car batteries meant to be used in anything other than a car. Just buy a plate amp and save yourself the danger, hassle and your electric bill.

THIS

t1990le
11-04-2009, 09:46 AM

lol x2

PV Audio
11-04-2009, 06:47 PM
That sounds both very dangerous and very stupid.

That is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. What he's basically doing is making a high pass filter which in his theory turns the 60hz 120V coming into the house into 120V DC. It unfortunately doesn't work like that, because all that's going to happen is that as there are no frequencies above 60hz (assuming that we aren't dealing with any harmonics) coming from your wall, it's just not going to do anything at all and will just slowly cook your capacitor. Even then, he still doesn't have a way to get from 120V to 12V, so OP, don't even consider the nonsense that he said.

bigaudiofanati2
11-04-2009, 06:52 PM

X2 I have a variable DC voltage station that I use to test amps but I would never run a car amp for long periods of time off it. Just get some home audio stuff. Matter of fact I have a HT receiver I am trying to sell. PM me if interested.

PV Audio
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
How is a home theatre receiver going to help him power a subwoofer?

bigaudiofanati2
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Did not read that but okay it will not.