PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Rings

Chris02NeonSXT
12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
I am all finished with my fiberglass enclosure, but I ran into a little problem when trying to install the subwoofer after I had carpeted the box. The speaker ring is one that reccesses the sub, and come to find out, either from the way I cut it (with a jigsaw) or from sanding it, that down near the mounting piece, it is too small. It seems like the walls of the reccess are angled outwards as you go from the mounting ring up towards where the fiberglass was laid over the ring. My question is, is there any way I can make the walls of the reccess more square/flat? Possibly with a router? The reccess is about 3/4" to 1" deep.

Thanks,
Chris

TPABlazer
12-01-2003, 08:42 PM
you can do it with a real big rabbeting bit and a router..but i can tell you its not goign to be easy

Chris02NeonSXT
12-01-2003, 11:21 PM
any tips? :)

TPABlazer
12-02-2003, 12:48 AM
well..you could use a router table.. and then place the box on the table and turn it onthe bit..but you couldnt see it so it'd be hard

Q45guy
12-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Just get yourself some 150 grit sand paper and sand down the walls of the recess. Sure it will take some time, but its the least expensive way to do it and it makes for a nice smooth surface. I'd be afraid of running the router over that edge again if it was just a little bit that needed to be taken off.