PDA

View Full Version : cherokee owners..transmission help

orangecounty1
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
ive read a few places that some people have issues with the trannys not shifting til like 5k in first gear. my 93 4.0L 6cyl is doing this, but only for about 5-7 minutes, once i drive maybe 2-3 miles, it starts shifting normal again. transmission oil is full...any ideas?

id post on a jeep forum but i dont feel like registering right now, lol

orangecounty1
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
might be the filter, i should prally try that .. lol

orangecounty1
10-10-2009, 10:29 PM
found this- might be my issue as well- http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1g/bl070g.htm

audioatg
10-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Can you manual shift it. Put it down in first start driving and shift accordingly. Next if you have a local autozone take it get the codes for me. PM me what they are and will help you more. Yes you might not have a check enigne light on. Still codes will be in there if this has happen enough times. Also above test will tell me if its eletrical or mechanical.

plugitin
10-11-2009, 12:55 AM
filllter

audioatg
10-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I have three cherokees. If that helps.

MemphisCherokee
10-11-2009, 12:59 AM
had the same problem
flush the tranny, change the filter, get all the nasty **** out, what happens is that it's acting like the fluid is colder or warmer than it needs to be so it'll shift like i does in winter or some ****

jamesw
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
I know this is not helpful its really interesting how mechanics and auto shops work... This is a response to the link you provided. The other day my mothers 06 toyota avalon had a hose burst (40k miles) and it has started making a clicking sound when turned off. Took it to the toyota dealership (I went with her) and they were saying that the alternator was the root of the "clicking" problem... And in turn wanted $836.00 to repair it, keep in mind the car is still under warranty. I told them they were ****ing insane if they wanted 800 odd some dollars to replace an alt. I really think autoshops scam the **** out of people because most people have no idea about anything related to the mechanics of their vehicles. Generally most problems with cars can be solved and repaired for a considerable amount if a little bit of research and reading is done.

audioatg
10-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I know this is not helpful its really interesting how mechanics and auto shops work... This is a response to the link you provided. The other day my mothers 06 toyota avalon had a hose burst (40k miles) and it has started making a clicking sound when turned off. Took it to the toyota dealership (I went with her) and they were saying that the alternator was the root of the "clicking" problem... And in turn wanted $836.00 to repair it, keep in mind the car is still under warranty. I told them they were ****ing insane if they wanted 800 odd some dollars to replace an alt. I really think autoshops scam the **** out of people because most people have no idea about anything related to the mechanics of their vehicles. Generally most problems with cars can be solved and repaired for a considerable amount if a little bit of research and reading is done.

If only that was half way true. Most ppl have no clue whats going on with their cars AT ALL. They leave it to rust away and not care about taking care of it. Then wounder why the price to repair everything is so high. Just the other day I had a guy come in. Chevy truck with over 200k miles. I know alot of miles. Coolant tank was empty oil very black. Trans fluid extremly black with oder. SHocks a few of them leaking. Looked like the vehicle was parked in a salt water lake. With allthe rusted brake lines. Needed many other things as well. belts all were cracked badly. And when we told the guy a price and everything that was wrong with the vehicle he looked at us like we were crazy not him.

Again just like audio companies. They are good companies until they are in the wrong hands then everyone wants to complain about what happens. Just like auto, Good compaines until they are in the wrong hands.

I have a picture of a wacked out tire. the lady drove into the shop with. Said her tire was low not flate and desided to drive it in. When it got to the shop. The tire was completely destroyed so was the rim.

jamesw
10-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with what your saying, but this is a 40k car that has been properly maintained, the owners manual has all stamps and is taken in every 5k miles to be fully serviced.. Then when I hear mechanic want 8** dollars to replace an alternator that only cost 1** that I am fully capable of doing myself it makes me wonder.

jamesw
10-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I also think there is a little bit more to be said by the fact that you are referring to a truck with 200k on it. A lot of work trucks that people use are not going to be religiously maintained as they are a "work truck". But it is interesting to here the opposing sides view. I enjoy..

audioarsonal
10-11-2009, 10:15 AM
This is a known issue with cherokee's.They have a tendancy to hard shift between 1-2 gear.Mine did the same thing when you first started it and drove it wouldn't shift out until like 4k RPM.It cost me 1000 to get it rebuilt.

audioatg
10-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I also think there is a little bit more to be said by the fact that you are referring to a truck with 200k on it. A lot of work trucks that people use are not going to be religiously maintained as they are a "work truck". But it is interesting to here the opposing sides view. I enjoy..

Wasent a work truck. And really do some research on some cars. Doing an alt on some vehicles is a pain in the *** hat. Big time. Even more when its a car not a truck. Some times the alt is on the back lower side of the engine were you just cant go bamb its done.

audioatg
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
ive read a few places that some people have issues with the trannys not shifting til like 5k in first gear. my 93 4.0L 6cyl is doing this, but only for about 5-7 minutes, once i drive maybe 2-3 miles, it starts shifting normal again. transmission oil is full...any ideas?

id post on a jeep forum but i dont feel like registering right now, lol

Howd you check that tranny fluid. In neutral right. Car on too.

orangecounty1
10-11-2009, 02:41 PM
thanks for the help, ill try those things first, if it is a tranny issue, i deff wont be spending that to rebuilt it becuase i only paid 950 for the jeep lol

audioatg
10-11-2009, 02:43 PM
This is a known issue with cherokee's.They have a tendancy to hard shift between 1-2 gear.Mine did the same thing when you first started it and drove it wouldn't shift out until like 4k RPM.It cost me 1000 to get it rebuilt.

Whyd you have it rebuilt. Are you sure it was mechanical. Mostly all tranny problems I come across with the inline 6 motors are eletrical. The jeeps with the v8 motors have the crap tranny. That has alot of mechanical problems.

His could be the TPS sensor going bad. Or a bad 2-3 seloniod in the tranny its self going. Or a bad control module. Witch I had with one of my jeeps the trans control module went and would not send a signal to the 2-3 shift seloniod when it was supposed to.

orangecounty1
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
yea i read about the TPS .. if i let autozone run my codes i will know?

audioatg
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
yea i read about the TPS .. if i let autozone run my codes i will know?

Alot about whats going on. Can and will lead you in the right direction. When you get them send me a pm on what the code reads.I will help you more then. And still do the other thing I said and get back to me.

orangecounty1
10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
ok. yea i think its something electrical if its not the fluid/filter needing to be changed, and if it is electrical i dont wanna just randomly buy and replace parts and waste money that way.

ill go run the codes tomorow, i cant remember right now but i THINK the check engine light may be on as well.

i need to replace the rear main seal too, i thought i was gonna have to drop the tranny, but luckily they're a 2 piece seal so it shouldnt be too hard.

ContourSPL
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! Hopefully, my 98 GC's tranny will stay strong....

audioatg
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm glad I found this thread! Hopefully, my 98 GC's tranny will stay strong....

Sorry to say you dont have the asian tranny in your jeep. If its the V8 you have another one. Just keep up on replacing the tranny fluid every 30k and you should be good.

blackxj
10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
most likely your tpi is bad....pull your tpi sensor cord......if it shifts than there you go i had the same problem like a week ago

blackxj
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
its on the back side of your throttle body ajacent to your firewall

orangecounty1
10-14-2009, 02:20 AM
ill try that

but i went to get the codes run and autozone or no body has an OBD1 reader...the guy said you can take a paper clip and connect 2 of the things and itll start flashing off codes. do you know which things i put the paper clip in?

orangecounty1
10-14-2009, 02:22 AM
most likely your tpi is bad....pull your tpi sensor cord......if it shifts than there you go i had the same problem like a week ago

do you mean TPS?