PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer/wall/floor loading

dman4486
10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
just general questions that are not equipment dependent.

I was curious about subwoofer placement in large open rooms....I have found that just from moving the woofer around in the room that the best sound(so far) is loading off an exterior wall. what do you recommend? How would I go about calculating distance from a wall/floor for loading purposes?

joeybutts
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
It is completely dependent on your room's size and layout. There are guidelines out but nothing really concrete. Unless you are building a dedicated room, It's kind of guess and check. Sometimes we have to just live with what the placement is (like me right now :( ).

A lot of people use calibration to help fix issues in room, I think there is a good read by HK out there on subwoofer placement, and a few others. I'll see if I can find them and post.

dman4486
10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
It is completely dependent on your room's size and layout. There are guidelines out but nothing really concrete. Unless you are building a dedicated room, It's kind of guess and check. Sometimes we have to just live with what the placement is (like me right now :( ).

A lot of people use calibration to help fix issues in room, I think there is a good read by HK out there on subwoofer placement, and a few others. I'll see if I can find them and post.

word....much appreciated if you can find said read.

I have found a pretty good location with wall loading, but it still leaves a small area in the center of the room empty of bass. Thus my question about wall/floor loading. the floor is a concrete slab if that helps in a decision.

mlstrass
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
get a rat shack analog SPL meter and start testing...

dman4486
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
get a rat shack analog SPL meter and start testing...

I read back in the day that placing the sub in the dead spot and searching for the peak db was the best way...heard of this or any variant? any truth to it?

audioarsonal
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Corner loading can also give you good response.

dman4486
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
input?