PDA

View Full Version : speakers popping bad

impact240
11-19-2003, 06:23 PM
i build a box for 2 12s and my speakers are bottoming out at medium volume...i barely turn the radio up and speakers popping pretty badly...could anyone tell me what i did wrong...box too big? to small? anyway to fix the problem without rebuilding?

bringitonhome
11-19-2003, 06:50 PM
can you hear it when your trunk is closed? mine pop when the trunk is open due to lack of back pressure. if you can hear it even when the trunk is closed you probly need to seal your box better. make sure every seem is siliconed and you might try weather stripping around the hole for the sub. Also it could be caused by the carpet going all the way to teh hole for the sub try cutting it back a bit and make sure your sub has some kind of gasket around the mounting ring.

impact240
11-19-2003, 07:34 PM
the speakers are pretty much in open air...i'm trying to build a box kinda like a display

bringitonhome
11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
what kind of subs and amp? is your box sealed well?

bringitonhome
11-19-2003, 07:52 PM
what are your box dimensions? you might need to reduce the cubic feet inside the box by putting a solid object like a phone book inside.

impact240
11-19-2003, 08:16 PM
yea the box is sealed pretty well.....i tried sticking Styrofoam in it but i still get the same thing.....i appreciate you helping me out

if the speaker is popping bad at medium volume...does that mean the box is too big?

bringitonhome
11-19-2003, 11:29 PM
it could if you have them at or close to max rms power and they are in a large enclosure then chances are you probly need a smaller enclosure try something les porous and bigger like a phone book or something inside the box an see if that helps then let me know and we'll see what else we can think of.

impact240
11-20-2003, 12:04 AM
i tried sticking all kinds of stuff in the box...speaker still bottoming out....new amp...still the same...more polyfill...same...more wood inside...same...its frustrating...maybe the only thing i can really think of is its in the open....but how come house speakers can be in the open and doesn't bottom out

LBX2G
11-20-2003, 01:30 PM
most car speaker work on back pressure. House speaker are made to be played in large room. WHAT NAME BRAND SPEAKERS DO U HAVE?

bigred78797
11-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Like LBX2G said most car audio subs rely on back pressure to help control the sub woofer to keep it from doing what it's doing. Without the back pressure your subs rely entirely on the spider and surround and when those cant bring the cone back well "pop". The best way to fix it is to make the enclosure smaller. filling it styrofoam and other crap wont help unless you stuff enough stuff in there tight enough to actually affect the volume of air drastically. It would also be helpful to know what kind of speakers you have and how much power you might be putting to them. But basically there is not a way to fix without rebuilding unless you find a way to seal off a large portion of the box to decrease the air volume.

maylar
11-22-2003, 01:55 PM
if the speaker is popping bad at medium volume...does that mean the box is too big?Very possible. A speaker will reach max excursion with less power in a big box. Problem is it won't be any louder in a smaller box, assuming you have the backwave sealed already.