PDA

View Full Version : plexy glass box

rocktonic13
11-18-2003, 03:15 PM
if i decided to make a box out of plexy glass, what is used to cut it and also what is used to connect everything(Ex: liquid nails for mdf) thanks...

also, has anyone here done this that would be able to help me through it?

ss3079
11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Table saw works.

Gotta love the smell of freshly cut plexi :wow:

As for connections, if it's thick enough material you can ever-so-carefully use screws, but if you aren't experienced, I would definetely not recommend it. You can use a strong clear adhesive, or something similar. If you have a heat strip you can bend your pieces of plexi. One strip would look like this: l_l and the other would be bent to fit so it covered the other two sides and top (I couldnt draw that with a keyboard ;) ) ... then you'd heat all of the seams together ... I've seen it done before and it's pretty neat.

I'd most likely look into some form of extra strong, clear, adhesive. ;)

- Steve

rocktonic13
11-18-2003, 10:12 PM
yea the extra strong advesive sounds easyest... any idea of any brands? or more importantly, what to cut the sub hole with? would a jigsaw or router work?

ss3079
11-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Could use a router with a special bit to cut the sub hole ... I'm sure a jigsaw could work, because a bandsaw does.

- Steve

BulldogSr04
11-19-2003, 10:21 PM
if you wanted to just make a window, could you use biscuits? i bet you could color em and make it look cool plus it would be a strong bond. i would think that the pressure from the sub would break the bond but i guess not. sounds like a cool idea though. does anybody know anything about plexiglass and fiberglass combinations?

ss3079
11-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Biscuits eh ... I guess you could use them, but when you glue the biscuit and it expands, it's going to look ugly in the plexi. Plus then you have to think about the possibility of cracking the plexi when you use your plate (aka biscuit) jointer.

- Steve

rocktonic13
11-19-2003, 11:35 PM
any guess of how much a sheet of plexy glass would cost? what would i need? .5inch?

ss3079
11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
It's fairly expensive ... and go as thick as possible.

There was a link I seen that was posted only a few days ago to a place that sold all sorts of sizes, colors, and thicknesses ... it was an online audio store too, not a hardware store. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. Either that or search yahoo. If you're not up to building it, www.gatelyaudio.com ... :) Go

- Steve

rocktonic13
11-20-2003, 09:12 PM
anyone know where i can get pleiglass online? also, what would i use to caulk since i need something clear

BulldogSr04
11-20-2003, 09:14 PM
clear caulk

rocktonic13
11-21-2003, 12:16 AM
now where can i get plexiglass online?

nswartley
11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
there's some really strong plexi adhesive that i can't remember the name of...it's the stuff that they use on fish tanks and stuff like that.

i wish i could remember the name...

-nate

ss3079
11-21-2003, 06:52 PM
there's some really strong plexi adhesive that i can't remember the name of...it's the stuff that they use on fish tanks and stuff like that.

i wish i could remember the name...

-nate
I know what you're thinking ...

I'd personally look into a product called H-94 by Schwarts Chemical Co ... or IPS Corporation Weld-On #16.

www.selectproducts.com may have something.

Also ... Chloroform baby :D

- Steve

Mixophrenia
11-26-2003, 10:44 PM
here's one site i found... but there are many more out there... yahoo search...

http://k-mac-plastics.net/plexiglass-acrylic-sheet.htm