PDA

View Full Version : How do you know what freq you should port an Enclosure at???

smullen
11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
How do you know what freq you should port an Enclosure at???

Not how do I know what size I need, but What Freq to I should port at???

I am trying to plan my new system and working on the plans for building an enclosure for 4 12" XXXs vented...

I saw a pretty decent box design that was 3.0 cubic feet and tunned at 33 hz... But Like I said, how do I know whats the best to tune at?

This will be for SQL... I want it as loud as possible but to sound great on music...

PT Teal
11-18-2003, 12:32 PM
I was told once to check what feq the car played best at. I put a test tone cd and found that the the db's were highest at 46hz. Then I was told to back off 6 -10 db's so I would tune the box at around 36-40hz

BulldogSr04
11-18-2003, 01:39 PM
for sql tune low. tones below the tuning frequency are almost nonexistant. i would tune it to around 25-28 hz for the best sql and the flattest response curve.

bigred78797
11-19-2003, 03:31 PM
I hope that that's 3 cubic feet per sub because .75 cubic feet for a xxx = very little. You gotta give xxx's room to breathe man. If all you have is 3 cubic feet to give up i would definately reconscider 4 xxx's and drop down to maybe 2 or probably even 1 xxx. I mean my 10" audiobahn's require a minimum of .75 cubic feet per sub in a ported box, so i know a 12" xxx requires probably at least 1 cubic foot of air space. I would seriously reconscider your system. But anyway back to the point at hand when you tune low your gearing more towards sq when you tune high your gearing more towards spl. With xxx's if you tune low your going towards spl and sq. I would tune a xxx to around 27 or 25 hz.

smullen
11-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Easy there trigger... :) Yea I ment 3.0 cubes per sub.. My Bad.. I should been more clear...

I hope that that's 3 cubic feet per sub because .75 cubic feet for a xxx = very little. You gotta give xxx's room to breathe man. If all you have is 3 cubic feet to give up i would definately reconscider 4 xxx's and drop down to maybe 2 or probably even 1 xxx. I mean my 10" audiobahn's require a minimum of .75 cubic feet per sub in a ported box, so i know a 12" xxx requires probably at least 1 cubic foot of air space. I would seriously reconscider your system.