PDA

View Full Version : pcm failures..

edzy
09-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Has anyone else had pcm failures since installing audio gear?
My last 2000 dodge van, I had to replace one,
Now im having issues with my newer 2001 dodge van.3.9

The van died while driving, had it in a shop, they replaced 2 pcm's after checking, coils, asd relay, pick up, wire harness for shorts, cam/crank sensors,. The last pcm smoked when installed and tryied to start. They think its just bad pcm's as they are remans from the web.

Ive towed it to a dodge dealer, and they are now doing the same thing. Waiting on my 3rd pcm this week., yes another reman.
If it doesnt work, idk what im going to do. Have another shop look at it?

been almost a month now its been in the shop.
what a pita as I use the van for work.

jdawg
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
never seen one bad from an audio install, where is the dodge dealer getting the pcm? I assume the first is was replaced cause the regulator in it stopped working. If thats the case I would have just put on an external and been done with it.

edzy
09-21-2009, 12:30 AM
I am supplying the pcm...As it it under warranty... But if this 3rd one smokes, then the dealer will not warranty as its my part.
At that point i will let them supply it, ($750) vs my $275..

At this time, i dont care about $, i just need my van back.
Im ready to go buy a new van if they cant sort it this week.

audioatg
09-21-2009, 11:33 AM
? Is were are you getting the PCM's at. Some crap joint that just throws them out hoping they work. Or are you getting it from a known good place that deals with remans all the time. Asked the dealer if they have remans they sell not just a new one. 750 sounds high for a dealer reman one. Mabye its a brand new one. Also. I dought its your audio system. next time it dies. Tell us what happens when it dies. Have they check all the powers and grounds going into the pcm.

edzy
09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
The auto computer exchange. I believe the pcm is ok, they are just being blown by something shorting. Ive dealt with them before and had np. Also the original one in the van that I had for over a year was one from them.
All power and grounds were checked by both shops. My trusted local, and the dodge dealer it is at now.

jdawg
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
its a reman pcm for 700 whatever, i looked it up, there isnt a new available, only reman, only thing i really can think of is having a weak ground to the pcm could cause it to heat up, did it actually smoke? Get hot and melt?

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:05 PM
yes, the new pcm was installed. As soon as the van was tried to be started, it cranked for 5-10 seconds, then the pcm began to smoke from the top, Typicaly the area were the repairs are made on them.
Its ground is made thru the pcm case and the chassis via 3 sheet metal screws. The chassis is bare metal, and I have replaced the factory ground strap with 0/1 about 6" from the pcm mounting.

I still think its a short in the harness, bad transmission shift solinoid, bad ASD relay or wire, something to do with the remote start.. or as all the techs say, just another bad pcm.

jdawg
09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I have seen bad pcm come in before, it wouldnt suprise me if you would have to get 3 to get a good one

audioatg
09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
yes, the new pcm was installed. As soon as the van was tried to be started, it cranked for 5-10 seconds, then the pcm began to smoke from the top, Typicaly the area were the repairs are made on them.
Its ground is made thru the pcm case and the chassis via 3 sheet metal screws. The chassis is bare metal, and I have replaced the factory ground strap with 0/1 about 6" from the pcm mounting.

I still think its a short in the harness, bad transmission shift solinoid, bad ASD relay or wire, something to do with the remote start.. or as all the techs say, just another bad pcm.

PCM Ground is the screws holding it in place. I Dunno about that one. I havent seen that one before. I would have to look it up. Most PCM's have multiply grounds going into it. What year make model motor is your vehicle.

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
yes, ive read that ppl have gone thru 3 as well. Also the dealers one is a reman, but for $750..

These are what i am getting.

http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Product/130

Im going to go with one of these new ones next if this next new one fails.

http://www.dodgeecu.com/finditfast/default.asp?vmake=DODGE&vmodel=RAM 1500 VAN&vyear=2001&type1=

But its still my belief that some short is taking them out.

audioatg
09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Give me that info and a sec I have to do a quick rotate and test drive. I'' be back to look it up. Im suspecting a bad ground mabye a bad power wire. Shorting it.

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
2001 dodge ram van 3.9

plugitin
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
should be multiple grounds in the harness plug itself i would think?

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
yes, there should be, and both shops have tested and said they were ok. One grounds to the asd and that was operating ok..

jdawg
09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
the pcm itself needs a ground i belive, usaully the way it turns on switches is by sending them ground

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
yes, im sure there is a bunch that lead to and from sensors.

both shops have metered out the harness for shorts to ground and resistance of sensors.
there are no found open shorts on wires that are hot, and good connectivity on the grounds to ground.

audioatg
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I hate alldata wont let me copy and paste. Well yeah you do have a few grounds on the pcm. Also I seen that the O2 senors tie into the main ground for the PCM. I would recheck them yourself for shorts and look to see if they are rubbing on anything. Also main ground for the PCM is g105 looks like its right next to the power steering pump If you looking at the vehicle its to the right of it downward.

But if you are saying they have checked this all over an over again.And I will say I have seen "so called new parts" come out bad Lots and lots of times. Even more reman parts too.

edzy
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
yes, i got the alldata wire diagram as well for every sensor and all the wires leading into the pcm. Still nothing found.

If they dont find it this week, I will have no choice but to have it towed home and go thru it wire by wire myself.
then buy a new work van this weekend.

what a pita.

jdawg
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
you got all that **** in your work van? lawl

edzy
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
ya, pretty much.

however, the sub has been out for 3 weeks prior to this happening. also the pods were out cause im doing them over. So the only audio going on was the dash and rear speakers...and they were not being played loud for weeks as the van was being used as a ppl carrier when it happened.

well, im going to the dealer now to see what they have done in the last week.

audioatg
09-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Let me know what they had to say. Im curious to what they have been testing.

edzy
09-21-2009, 09:06 PM
They said they have checked everything that they can with out the pcm. And that pcm company is dixing me around. They say they cant get me another pcm till at least friday.
So I am having the dealer order one and let them take the chance of frying it when its installed. I should know by friday what it is.

Another thing i found while browsing..Some one suggested the solinoid on the transmission as a place to look for a short.
Thinking about that, while driving on the highway while in cruise control set to 70ish.. Twice it downshifted and shot the rpms like it went into passing gear or second. I was carring 7 ppl at those times and it happened weeks apart. once going up a mountain highway in NH, and once on a steep inclined hyway in CT. I didnt think anything of it, as it was under stress being a six banger hauling alot of weight.

edzy
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
got the van back.
They replaced the pcm, and coil, and disconnected the remote start.
They are not sure if its the remote start or a shorted coil, but at least it is running again.

jdawg
09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
cool

audioatg
09-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Well the transmission thing. Could be just that. Those Trans have a good habit of going. Id look into checking codes next time that happens. And take a peak at what the fluid looks like. Whens the last time you had the pan down..

Also good to hear about the PCM. What coil are you talking about the Ignition coil. Didnt know you had a remote start too.

edzy
09-25-2009, 01:02 AM
yes, the ignition coil. not pick up. Also the new dodge pcm is a lot smaller then the remans or originals, I bet there was a design flaw in them, otherwise they wouldnt have redesigned them.
yes, after market remote start and factory keyless entry.
Also a inverter to run the DTV converter for tv on the fly.

The remote start still operates, well i mean it tries to start, but with the wire disconnected from the ignition coil it just does its x3 and stops.
I will bring it to my car stereo/alarm guy and have him check it out, but I dont want to risk hooking it up incase thats what it is, hell I got a $20 pcm coming tommorrow, maybe throw that one in and see if it smokes with the remote start.

Thanks for your help.

and heres a little story about that $20 pcm.

As my online source for the pcm was taking forever to send out a working pcm, I looked online thru my partsfinder thing. So I found one in a N.carolina junkyard for $20. Great. So I call them and the thing is, they are a upull it type offit. So I posted an ad on CL in the winston salem wanted section.
"someone to uninstall a pcm and ship it to MA, $30"
About 20 minutes after posting, I get an Email from John. He lives near the junkyard, and, Get this, works at a shipping place, like a UPS store or something.
So he went there, got it and shipped it up to me. $20 for the part, $20 for shipping, And the $30 for his time.

It shocked me that some random person would do that. I will deffinatly remember him this XMAS.
And he thanked my for the chance to earn a few bucks. Kinda made me sad to think that $30 is important to him. Anyway, when I get a few extra bucks, I will throw him another $50 for being such a nice guy.

I didnt have the heart to tell him it was now in vain, as I paid the dealer to get one for me as getting the van running was more important right now then saving a few bucks. But I will have a spare, or may sell it on ebay and send him the money I get for it, as its worth like $200-$300.

Lastly, the dealer raped me for $750 for the new pcm. Plus labor and another coil. All said and done, about 2k on the van for this whole ordeal.

I Like Waffle
10-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you have an underlying issue if youre working on your 4th pcm.