PDA

View Full Version : running a 2ch power amp both channels dif impedance

dirtye30
09-19-2009, 11:02 PM
i have a qsc gx5 and the sub channel (ch1) is running one peavey PV18 at 8 ohm and the high channel (ch 2) is running two fender pa cabs with a 15 and a horn in each at 4 ohm. anyone see any ill effects from doin it this way?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/QSC-GX5-Stereo-Power-Amplifier?sku=481805

thanks!

mcsoul
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I think the amp will survive.

JimJ
09-20-2009, 03:17 AM
anyone see any ill effects from doin it this way?

Other than playing in mono, you mean?

joetama
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Other than playing in mono, you mean?

And having anything Peavey... I'd rather have Behringer... LAWL

dirtye30
09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
f behringer. new peavey gear may not be the greatest thing ever but at least they have a good warranty and customer service. i also thought the only problem would be mono broadcast but this knob at guitar center is like oh no thats no good you need another crossover and more power or your horns will blow and when i asked why he said because underpowering is worse than overpower. i loled and asked what happens when you turn down the volumw knob? sorry foe the lack of punctuatipn im poatin from my phone

joetama
09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
f behringer. new peavey gear may not be the greatest thing ever but at least they have a good warranty and customer service. i also thought the only problem would be mono broadcast but this knob at guitar center is like oh no thats no good you need another crossover and more power or your horns will blow and when i asked why he said because underpowering is worse than overpower. i loled and asked what happens when you turn down the volumw knob? sorry foe the lack of punctuatipn im poatin from my phone

OK just out of curiosity you have some type of X-Over on the speaker yea?

But, the guy sound like an idiot.

dirtye30
09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
OK just out of curiosity you have some type of X-Over on the speaker yea?

But, the guy sound like an idiot.

most definately. theres a built in xover in the amp. runs the sub at 100hZ and lower and the top at 100-20k.

heres a link to the manual, doesnt say anything about running one channel at a different impedance than the other.

http://media.qscaudio.com/pdfs/manuals/GX_user_manual_EN_revA.pdf

joetama
09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok... I think my might be missing what I'm saying.......

In the speaker box you are running is there just one set of speakers? Or is there a mid-range & high frequency driver (such as a horn)

If the box has a midrange and high frequency it has to have a 'crossover' so each can be fed with different signals. IE you don't want mids going to the highs and vice versa or you will damage your horns. Now, these 'PA' boxes might have the crossovers built into them. Which, I'm thinking they probably do, but just want to verify. What model speakers are they?

dirtye30
09-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok... I think my might be missing what I'm saying.......

In the speaker box you are running is there just one set of speakers? Or is there a mid-range & high frequency driver (such as a horn)

If the box has a midrange and high frequency it has to have a 'crossover' so each can be fed with different signals. IE you don't want mids going to the highs and vice versa or you will damage your horns. Now, these 'PA' boxes might have the crossovers built into them. Which, I'm thinking they probably do, but just want to verify. What model speakers are they?

right, i would assume fender would have some little cap/coil setup inside their box. i dont know the model off hand. im not at all woried about the crossover/EQ as much as i am the 4ohm load on channel one and 8ohm load on channel two.

joetama
09-22-2009, 03:55 AM
right, i would assume fender would have some little cap/coil setup inside their box. i dont know the model off hand. im not at all woried about the crossover/EQ as much as i am the 4ohm load on channel one and 8ohm load on channel two.

I would assume so too... But just checking... If it hasn't blown up the horn yet it probably wont.

As for the load difference, no worries there lad.

dirtye30
09-23-2009, 11:36 PM
lol the Peavey sub let go. got it replaced under warranty the next day tho :tup: