PDA

View Full Version : How many layers of mat?

phoneman
11-12-2003, 10:22 PM
I am building a fairly large fiberglass box in the hatch of an eclipse and was wondering about how many layers do I need to put down before I can pop the mold? I am using masking tape so I really dont know how hard it will be to remove. Also how many overall layers of fiberglass do most people use to obtain the proper strength? And since my mold is going to be pretty big should I do half of it then pop it out, put it back in and then do the other half?

So far everything is going good I guess but any suggestions or info will be helpful.

TPABlazer
11-13-2003, 12:46 AM
i ususally do ~ 3 layers then pop..3 will hold its shape but not support too much wieght etc. so cant use just that.

I would do the whole, so there is no seams to worry about strength issues

Gauntlet
11-13-2003, 10:33 AM
You could really just do one layer and pop it out if you wanted, but I try to do as much as I can before I take the mold out....two or three layers should be fine for that stage.....as far as how many layers total....I'd say at least six or seven, and more if you can.....

phoneman
11-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your help, The only thing I am worried about is how hard it will be to pop out of the car. I am only using masking tape and with all contour of the car and how big this box is I am afraid that the tape is not going to come off as easily as it is supposed to. Any recommendation about that?

Gauntlet
11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Put a generous amount of mold release agent on the tape....vaseline, WD-40, non-stick cooking spray, etc. etc....it should come off fairly easily....