PDA

View Full Version : Q about fiberglassing.

Daniel
11-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Alright, I'm gonna try to make a fiberglass box for my e10k. The question I need to know is that after I have already made the ring out of MDF, and put it up, do i need fleece to wrap around the box or could I use any type of cloth? Also, this question is probaby pretty stupid but how does the fiberglass stay on the box? Does the resin just stick to it and make it air tight or after I did the fiberglassing to I take it off and seal the edges and drill it into place?

Thanks.

LoneRanger
11-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Alright, I'm gonna try to make a fiberglass box for my e10k. The question I need to know is that after I have already made the ring out of MDF, and put it up, do i need fleece to wrap around the box or could I use any type of cloth? Also, this question is probaby pretty stupid but how does the fiberglass stay on the box? Does the resin just stick to it and make it air tight or after I did the fiberglassing to I take it off and seal the edges and drill it into place?

Thanks.

fleece is the best thing to use because it's thick and absorbant. it's also inexpensive and readily availiable.

The resin soaks into the cloth and turns it into a hard but flexible piece. You'll need multiple layers and a lot of resin to build a suitable subwoofer enclosure. It will only be airtight after a few layers and a lot of time and effort. Building a box on your first try with fiberglass isn't something I'd recommend, but if you're up for the challenge, more power to you! I'd start out with some kick panels or something small and easy to handle.

Daniel
11-11-2003, 11:30 AM
I've built all my boxes in the past but none have been fiberglassed. I decided to give it a try to to to the next level :cool:

Also they look awsome so I'm hoping to get this one to look nice also.

Thanks.

Daniel
11-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Another quick Q, Is it better to start the fiberglassing from under the fleece after it has already been drenched in resin or just to go from the top?

TPABlazer
11-11-2003, 07:39 PM
I glass the topside of the fleece so I dont have to reach in the box and cant see etc. the glass stick pretty solidly to the wood afte ryou staple it/superglue/whatever