PDA

View Full Version : Question about Alpine CDA-9887 and "Defeat"

shiftis
09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi.

I just bought an Alpine CDA-9887, and I have a question that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer. The question is in regard to the unit's "Defeat" mode.

According to the manual, enabling "defeat" should do the following:

"By setting DEFEAT ON, previously adjusted settings of
BASS, TREBLE and EQ will return to the factory defaults
and MX (page 19) is turned off."

I currently have MX turned off and all the levels in the Graphic EQ set at 0. However, when I switch on "Defeat", the sound changes dramatically. With MX off and the EQ zero'd out (which is how it came by default), shouldn't everything sound the same with Defeat turned on or off since my EQ is already at factory default?

Thanks,
Adam

ejschultz
09-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Hmm... I wonder if my 9855 does this too. I'll check in the morning and let you know, assuming you care.

shiftis
09-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Hmm... I wonder if my 9855 does this too. I'll check in the morning and let you know, assuming you care.

That'd be great, thanks.

ejschultz
09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If I turn the EQ to flat and turn MX off, then turn the defeat on, there is no change at all in the sound. Either you're forgetting to change something, or Alpine's new models use some sort of simulated "defeat" mode. I don't see the latter being probable because it would be more simple by design to have everything just shut off instead of programming something different.

1hawaii50
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Have you "Imprint"-ed your system?

shiftis
09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
If I turn the EQ to flat and turn MX off, then turn the defeat on, there is no change at all in the sound. Either you're forgetting to change something, or Alpine's new models use some sort of simulated "defeat" mode. I don't see the latter being probable because it would be more simple by design to have everything just shut off instead of programming something different.

I can't think of anything I could be missing.

I did some more searching, and it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

From "DIY Mobile Audio":

"Originally Posted by bertholomey
One day I pushed the volume knob until it read defeat on / off - I set it to 'on' and was surprised at the sound. It seemed more dynamic - a little higher volume and more 'presence' in the midrange and highs. I toggled back and forth, checked the GEQ and levels in the crossovers - everything was flat. I called Alpine technical - no help, didn't know what I was talking about (he sent me the new Imprint disc though). A dealer told me that I must have had something else turned on for there to be that kind of difference - that it wasn't truly flat before I turned the defeat 'on' - I checked everything. Has anyone else experienced this? I believe (from the manual) that when defeat is 'on' - the only affect is zeroing the EQ (or Treble / Bass if Imprint is turned on)."

"Originally Posted by ibanzil:
I noticed that too. I have no idea why. Says defeat puts everything back to factory defaut settings. Those settings must not be 0 across the board."

Have you "Imprint"-ed your system?

No, I have not.

jrgreene1968
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
my 9887 does the same thing..hit defeat and it becomes alot louder, not really better, just louder, i even did a reset once thinking i was missing a setting

Rich B
09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
It sounds like defeat removes the tone controls from the circuit, which means Alpine's tone controls are never really at 0 when you think they are.

RF does something similar with their amps where you can turn the Punch EQ to "0" but its still active and f'ing up the sound.

hightlow
09-07-2009, 07:06 AM
I like. Can I get you to post that wallpaper please. I really like it.
lazer before and after | free tattoo removal cream prices (http://tattooremovalcreamblog.com)A tattoo removal cream is needed that would successfully get rid of your tattoos for you without costing you a lot lazer before and after | free tattoo removal cream prices (http://tattooremovalcreamblog.com)

nabissssco
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
I have yet to use that feature but I will try it later though I think it will change little. Does it reset the xover points too and the time alignment or just the features stated above?

ejschultz
09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I have yet to use that feature but I will try it later though I think it will change little. Does it reset the xover points too and the time alignment or just the features stated above?

The defeat is supposed to just turn off any EQ settings and MX settings on the HU. As far as I know, it doesn't affect the crossover or TA settings. I know it doesn't affect those on my 9855. I would assume the 9887 would be the same.