PDA

View Full Version : Phase Linear UV9

eutechnyx
09-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey guys I just picked this headunit up cheap and so far nice features etc.but Im wondering am I going to be sacrificing my rca output since its only 2 volts and I have to use a splitter because its only a single rca wire for the subwoofer out.I was running a sony xplod headunit before and it had great output all around,Im just wondering if im going to be happy with this unit as far as the subwoofer quality,also one more issue i noticed is it forces me to use a cutoff freq for the subwoofer out,the options are 80,125 and I think 160 or something.I was told having that set on the H/U and the amplifiers own freq cutoff sometimes doesnt work out and causes issues,any input will be greatly appreciated,thanks!

CLIFFS;got a UV9 it only has one subwoofer out so i use a splitter,only 2 volt output,forces me to use freq cutoff 80/125/160.

req
09-05-2009, 12:47 AM
subwoofers us a mono signal (single RCA). my processor has a single or dual sub out, my memphis amp has a mono sub in... its uncommon to have this - but everything else is unessential. in your case, you might want to get a line driver. do you have a signal processor of some kind? like an active crossover? because that will boost the RCA voltage like a line driver, and act as an active crossover for you.

my alpine H701 does all this, and it controls all of my amplifier turn on signals. maybe that might be something you should look into.

eutechnyx
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I dont have any signal processor.Until I can get one,what should I do about the cutoff freq from the unit? It forces me to use something,my other unit had an option of on and off but this one doesnt.Im running a kx2500.1 for amplifier if that helps any.Also what kind of processor/line drivers do you recommend for what I need? Thanks

Ferendon
09-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Set the deck higher than the amp for the xover freq. A mono amp sums the signals together internally, so splitting the signal and then recombining them is redundant. There are plenty of mono amps out there that play just fine off of single channel of input. Summing a mono signal from the left input, plus nothing on the right input, gives you whatever is on the left input.

eutechnyx
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
So basically I could just hookup a single wire from the subout to just the left input on the amplifier and it will be the same as running left AND right?

ejschultz
09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
So basically I could just hookup a single wire from the subout to just the left input on the amplifier and it will be the same as running left AND right?

Yes. As long as it's a mono amp.

eutechnyx
09-06-2009, 11:31 PM
I did that,sounds great,and I set the filter on the H/U higher than the amp and it works perfect.Thanks guys.