PDA

View Full Version : 4th order bandpass design help

herbykw
09-04-2009, 03:44 AM
So many people have told me that a 4th order is the way to go. Never had one. So when attempting to design a 4th order how do you know the sizes to make the enclosure? How many cubes for the sealed section? how to design the port?

Here is some of my info
Kicker Solo X 18"
AQ2200
02 Monte Carlo with about 7 cubes to work with.

Might have to design the box to dip into the spare tire area, for a extra few inches of space.

galacticmonkey
09-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Going to be very tight... If it will fit at all.

TnT_Sounds
09-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I take it your not walling?

Good luck with that.

Might need to get some dimensions first

herbykw
09-04-2009, 05:15 AM
OK, i think i can design it.. But i need to know where to get the specs from. I know with the normal enclosure the subs minimum ported and sealed measurments can be easily found.

But since Kicker states the smallest a sealed box could be is 6 cubes, does this mean the sealed section of the 4th order must be at least 6 cubes? and how do i know how large to make the ported area?

80INCHES
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
7 cubes to work with......i wouldnt even think about it

herbykw
09-05-2009, 04:36 AM
ok, I posted this on ROE and everyone just said "it wont work" so screw if it will work or not, HOW DO YOU GET THE SPECS AND DESIGN IT????

herbykw
09-05-2009, 04:41 AM
ok, so I posted the same wuestion on ROE. and the only thing they all say is "it wont work" I see the same thing is happening here. I am considering getting different subs. So once again i am asking HOW DO YOU GET THE SPECS AND DESIGN THE ENCLOSURE??

7ender
09-05-2009, 05:05 AM
you talk to 80inches :p

or d/l winisd

herbykw
09-05-2009, 05:12 AM
I have winISD and I am playing around with it, but there is a lot i dont understand.

herbykw
11-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone know how to know how much space for each section?

tez4life
11-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Not going to happen, not in that car unless its a wall.

Just to give you an example, the 4th order for my single 18" is 8 cubic feet on the ported side, and 3 cubic feet on the sealed (give or take a few inches), going in the trunk of a 04 Crown Vic. Its going to take up all my trunk space, and my car is bigger than your Monte Carlo.

I would suggest considering something else, maybe a good ported box for that sub if it will fit.

tez4life
11-29-2009, 12:26 AM
And if your dead set on a 4th order, id suggest talking to 80Inches, Iamamp3pimp, or Galacticmonkey, any of them could get you right with a different sub. Thats just too big for the car.

herbykw
11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Not going to happen, not in that car unless its a wall.

Just to give you an example, the 4th order for my single 18" is 8 cubic feet on the ported side, and 3 cubic feet on the sealed (give or take a few inches), going in the trunk of a 04 Crown Vic. Its going to take up all my trunk space, and my car is bigger than your Monte Carlo.

I would suggest considering something else, maybe a good ported box for that sub if it will fit.

ONCE AGAIN, not asking if it can be done. JUST ASKING HOW TO COME UP WITH THE NUMBERS? I am considering changing my system, and looking into IDEAS.

HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE 8 cubes ported and 3 cubes sealed?

galacticmonkey
11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
You could fit a 4th order for a Solo X 18... It just wont work out very well.

galacticmonkey
11-29-2009, 12:30 AM
The specs depend on the subs being used and the type of sound youre looking for.

Its the same way you come up for specs on a ported or sealed box... Just kinda go for it.

tez4life
11-29-2009, 12:35 AM
ONCE AGAIN, not asking if it can be done. JUST ASKING HOW TO COME UP WITH THE NUMBERS? I am considering changing my system, and looking into IDEAS.

HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE 8 cubes ported and 3 cubes sealed?

I didnt, I paid this guy (iamamp3pimp) to design it for me, 4th orders are easy to screw up and I know that I didnt have the knowledge to design it correctly. Left it up to a pro.

You could fit a 4th order for a Solo X 18... It just wont work out very well.

Indeed.....please help this dude, because he needs it.

And if your dead set on a 4th order, id suggest talking to 80Inches, Iamamp3pimp, or Galacticmonkey, any of them could get you right with a different sub. Thats just too big for the car.

this guy gets it :D, id follow his advice.

herbykw
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
The specs depend on the subs being used and the type of sound youre looking for.

Its the same way you come up for specs on a ported or sealed box... Just kinda go for it.

I know it depends which subs, that i dont know yet. but the recomended ported and sealed are easily obtained for 99% of subs. I have never seen a manufacturer recommended bandpass specs. I am thinking of going with something like DC LVL 4 xl or some HDC3 10"s. So for two tens how would i know how big to make the sealed sections and ported? I can use programs to design the port and everything to tuning freq.